The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

July Soap Theme: Shaves That Make You Feel Cool! - Or...Techichi/Ethos

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Only a couple more days left in June, and in addition to all the craziness that is going on in the world...I can feel the heat of summer come down on me. That is why it is a perfect time to have the shave theme..."Shaves That Make You Feel Cool!" So I know many of you will automatically gravitate toward shaves that literally cool you off with products that contain all sorts of cooling agents. That is great...but don't just stop there. Throw in some shaves that make you feel like James Dean...you know...COOL!

James Dean Cool.gif

Again...interpretation is completely up to you guys.

Have a cool razor or brush that you want to show off...yup...that counts. Have a cool background you want to use in your SOTD pic? Yup...post it here!

1593346603573.png

Basically....anyway you see fit...if the shave is cool...then post it here!

Additionally, and as we have been doing, the Vendor /Artisan of the month for July will be Techichi Shave Company @Techichi and Ethos Grooming Essentials @Dragonsbeard!

1593346746595.png1593346942955.png

So at any time...you would like to forego the regular shave theme and add in your own Flair with these fine Vendor/Artisans...go right ahead! Though, I might argue, that there isn't anything cooler than shaving with the Techichi Beehive Shave Brush or using any of the wonderful razors that Don sells. Or, what about any product that Frank offers in his different lines? Yup...super cool!

At any rate...just have fun with all this.
Invite your friends over to this thread. Maybe we will have a sleep over? Wait, what? Not cool man! Sleepovers are for kids (not to be confused with Trix...though Trix cereal is delicious). I hope you enjoy this month's Shave Theme. As always...if there is a particular theme that you all would like to see...just let me know...tag me...message me...and for heavens sake...if there is something we agree on...remind me. I am forgetting more than usual lately. 🤪

Links to the Vendor/Aritisan Forums are below:

I received a soap package from Stirling Soap last week but, wasn’t able to try any of their product until today as I returned from a mini vacay with the Misses. Additionally I would like to add that Rod over at Stirling is top notch. He got the package to me before I was leaving via Fed-Ex 2 day on his dime. Wasn’t necessary but, I’m extremely grateful for his efforts to provide customer service by sheer excellence. He and his Wife just simply get it. They’ve earned a customer for as long as I’m on this planet and can wield a razor... Winking

Anyways, I grabbed the Gin & Tonic soap and the splash for todays shave which had to deal with 4 days growth. Used a Feather DX with a brand new Schick Proline blade. Scooped about an almond sized dollop of soap and worked it into a very nice, thick and creamy lather in my shave bowl. The scent was just that, a Gin & Tonic aroma with a nice menthol surge in the background. This stuff is excellent for the heat as it gives both the boozy & mentholated effect on the senses and skin. The Feather DX never skipped a beat as there was plenty of glide and slickness for 2 wonderful passes and some little touch ups on the chin. Wonderful protection and an awesome cooling effect throughout the whole shave. Even while cleaning up the cool feeling stayed and never felt overly done. But, the a/s splash was just the cherry on top to finish the shave off. A very satisfying scent of Gin&Tonic with a light Lime infusion plus another extra boost of the cooling menthol on the skin. Just a marvelous finish and a post shave cooling effect that lingered for about 45 minutes. It was a knockout shave, hands down.

F6016E01-5FB3-44E2-A6DA-592AC310CD34.jpeg

Excellent value for ones dollar and just a wonderful summertime performer. Gin & Tonic in both the soap and splash look to be a fixture in my summer rotation for summers to come. If you enjoy a good chill (not a face freezer or eyeball watering) that soothes and relaxes, I’d highly recommend this pairing.

On a side note, the Jimmy Choo Man Ice is a great pairing with the Stirling soap and splash. It has an almost iced Lemonade like scent that is tart yet lightly sweet that mingles with the Gin & Tonic vibe beautifully. Dirt cheap too with decent performance....

B5A5D67A-75AB-4EE5-BEDD-E05BC5CAEE6D.jpeg

3EE43E95-FBFE-410D-9B7D-7BF269964DE5.jpeg

76107928-5E19-4A58-A810-C891D46D097B.jpeg

A1E5CAF5-7B96-41F3-A673-DB6208BB03D4.jpeg

1 July 2020
Feather ASD2 / Feather Hi-Stainless (1) ...Cool Razor
Paladin PK-47 in Jade / Select Badger ....Paladin just screams Cool
PannaCrema Nuavia Verde Shave Soap.... A perfect summer soap, cool and refreshing
Proraso Green Aftershave Splash....Italian Cool, Eucalyptus Cool, Citrus Cool
Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio EdT.... Armani Cool, Citrus Cool

07.01.2020.jpg

Went "Old School Cool" this morning with a good ol' Barbershop scented shave! The Fine products were indeed that! DFS with little effort. Hope everyone has a great day!

PAA "The Cube 2.0" / Fine "American Blend" Shave Soap / PAA "Solar Flare" Brush / 1970 Gillette Super
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Fine "American Blend" Aftershave Splash / Fine "American Blend" EdT

IMG-3899-1.JPG

TAGGING @GearNoir and @Maryland998
Friday July 3, 2020
Razor: @Graydog Star Lather Catcher
Blade: Gem Personna (1)
Brush: @Graydog Quilt Brush
Soap: @Graydog Mershaving
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Aqua Velva
Talc: Skipped
Fragrance: Nautica Blue EdT

So this is a shave to cover a lot of bases. Steve @Graydog was extremely generous to put this razor in with a recent brush delivery. To say these things are a piece of history is an understatement and they have always looked COOL to me and had me curious. They normally go for a good bit especially if they are in this nice condition and in the litho tin. It did have me a little scared which brings me to the #newtome and #scaredtoshave that I was tagged on by @BarberDave Steve said he wanted to see me shave with it so there's the need for a video and killing a few birds with one stone.

The scared part ended up being unfounded as I survived with minimal nickage probably due to the new gem blade. It is an extremely light razor but well made and a marvel of days gone by. As I type this I feel how smooth my face is and am surprised and how NICE of a shave it actually was, even though the performance of the soap is poor to me. The scent is a nice fresh cool scent and pleasant. I can imagine with a better soap with slickness would make it an amazing experience and look forward to future uses of this cherished beauty. Thanks again Steve (y)

Video in my VLOG in the media section. Heading over an hour to Knoxville to retrieve that @Bill in Oneida guy and take him home as he is mobile with pain but mobile enough that they are booting him out of the Hospital. Have a great day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200703_070236403_HDR.jpg

Friday July 3, 2020

So this is a shave to cover a lot of bases. Steve @Graydog was extremely generous to put this razor in with a recent brush delivery. To say these things are a piece of history is an understatement and they have always looked COOL to me and had me curious. They normally go for a good bit especially if they are in this nice condition and in the litho tin. It did have me a little scared which brings me to the #newtome and #scaredtoshave that I was tagged on by @BarberDave Steve said he wanted to see me shave with it so there's the need for a video and killing a few birds with one stone.

The scared part ended up being unfounded as I survived with minimal nickage probably due to the new gem blade. It is an extremely light razor but well made and a marvel of days gone by. As I type this I feel how smooth my face is and am surprised and how NICE of a shave it actually was, even though the performance of the soap is poor to me. The scent is a nice fresh cool scent and pleasant. I can imagine with a better soap with slickness would make it an amazing experience and look forward to future uses of this cherished beauty. Thanks again Steve (y)

Video in my VLOG in the media section. Heading over an hour to Knoxville to retrieve that @Bill in Oneida guy and take him home as he is mobile with pain but mobile enough that they are booting him out of the Hospital. Have a great day Cadre !!!
View attachment 28899
Outstanding Shave Dave 😀
I would really like to see you with the wedge blade , when bakerbarber sent me that razor I tried to find a wedge for it , I even put up a post at the other place asking for some help finding one but nobody even responded 😒 the razor was definitely designed for a wedge and I always wanted to try it . Maybe you will have better luck finding one or like you said have an edge put on that one 😉
The soap usually performs well for me, maybe it's because of the small sample that I sent you lost something because of the amount. Anyway Thank you Dave for the wonderful video , I know I picked the "right Dave" 🤣 and if the other Dave , dolphin Dave wants to try a piece of history I have just the razor for him 😂

Outstanding Shave Dave 😀
I would really like to see you with the wedge blade , when bakerbarber sent me that razor I tried to find a wedge for it , I even put up a post at the other place asking for some help finding one but nobody even responded 😒 the razor was definitely designed for a wedge and I always wanted to try it . Maybe you will have better luck finding one or like you said have an edge put on that one 😉
The soap usually performs well for me, maybe it's because of the small sample that I sent you lost something because of the amount. Anyway Thank you Dave for the wonderful video , I know I picked the "right Dave" 🤣 and if the other Dave , dolphin Dave wants to try a piece of history I have just the razor for him 😂
It was a pleasure....................I'm the Adventurous Dave 🤪

Friday July 3, 2020

View attachment 28899
The Lather Catcher certainly is a VERY cool razor! Thanks for Shaving Dave!

I have a Rolls Razor that I have used with mixed results. Those blades are half hollow/wedge. And by rights should be easy to hone up. It's like someone took a straight razor and cut a piece off the end. Kind of gave up on it. Those lather catchers are way cool though. So many garage tinkerers during the late 1800's and on. "Inventing" new and improved items. Love the marketing and claims that were made. Love the shave Dave.

Back