The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Jon’s musing about running and things about running while running and after running and probably before running too

And done! Beautiful day, beautiful run. Feel great during and after but getting out there was tough.

1 hour tempo run for just under a 10k (6.1 miles). Every uphill, downhill, flat crushed at the planned power. Felt really good after a 2 day break.

Way to keep it going! There’s always time for health, if we make it!
I should have gone when it was a tornado warning in the larger area, but not really near me. running in the rain is really really enjoyable, believe it or not. So much better than a hot, sunny, humid DC swamp summer day. I think sitting that run out was a bad call.

Yesterdays 60 min run “easy w/ strides”. Beautiful weather, nice 5k route loop near the pentagon

24 mins easy - 2 mile uphill - felt really good
8 stride sessions - ran them way too fast but felt good.
24 mins easy - ~12 mins out and back to avoid that hill from the beginning lol.

A friend joined me for the long uphill, he was not ready for the easy up hill and after the first stride, i thought he needed an ambulance. He has no mid paces, it’s either walking or all out sprinting and usually he likes flats. He stopped after this and we were close enough to where we started so he dropped off.

I really enjoyed the workout yesterday. Today was too hot for a long run, i’ll do it tomorrow AM since i moved the speed work to later in the week. so i did some mowing and yard work and jump rope. Yup, dusted off the licorice rope and spent 5 mins doing a beginners session of basic bounce sets. Today starts integrating jump rope into the “thing”.

I thought i was gonna get up at zero dark thirty to bang out this long run (90mins). I did wake up and promptly decided it wasnt gonna happen. I kinda thought i should wait until the humidity burnt off and I’m not sure it really helped in the end. Probably but it was a rough last thirty mins.

May 21,2022
Runner (30 years old) dies at Brooklyn Half Marathon finish line, 15 others taken to hospital

I saw this headline around noon and decided i should probably wait until 6ish and take it real slow and easy, brought 1L water in the vest and headed out making sure my HR was good along the route. First hour went awesome 5 miles exactly. I figure i would keep a similar pace for the last 30 as i was heading from mostly rolling hills to the hills i love/dread. It was not gonna happen. I power walked all the uphills. All signs led to just easing off the power/pace and making it home. Took me 2.5 miles to get home and just under the total estimate of 7.7miles total. Live to fight the hills another day.

538C7D36-626B-4A2A-8CFD-41559329326D.jpeg

Today was a beautiful weather day. Sunny 65F, 50% humidity. Sunscreen applied, and off i went thinking what route i should run intervals on; since the session was estimated for 4.5 miles over 50 mins i went my normal 5 mile route but in the back of my head I had a feeling things were not gonna work out the same as usual. I was right.

I was wearing a pair of adidas supershoes, the prime x for the first time. Insane stack height, carbon rods, my color way is different, more blue and teal. Super nervous putting these on and walking around. Feels really unstable and insane.

1D3AEBEC-8E64-467A-9658-57CE8C18428E.jpeg

Started out the first easy 10 mins and got used to the feeling and it no pain.. check. Feels nice and bouncy. Get my form straight and shaking off the day of rest yesterday (actually did some jumprope while i grilled in the early evening)

Next is 5 sets of 4 minute intervals that i do as ~800 meters. Wow!! Insane feeling. I can see how these shoes affect speed, efficiency, and recovery. Even on the uphills. Wow is all i can say…

Last 10 mins was a cool down. Super easy and fun 10 mins. Way way ahead of where i normally be at 50 mins so i had to do a .75 mile loop to meet the time. Unreal and i feel like i have way more in the tank. Just unbelievable.

BF3A7AFD-1449-4E52-9095-E28134E534B5.jpeg

i had to slow myself down to hit the Power targets throughout this session. While thats not a new thing for me, the feeling of it vs the pace/effort was and 4 minutes isnt a short time for me in an interval. Unreal

I never learned to hula hoop well.. i feel like i never really learned to jumprope either outside the bounce. I feel like i did all the moves back in the day, ahh probably not as well as recall.

For whatever reason, 20 mins of 30second sets of jump rope “basics” was really hard. Its gonna take some practice to get the coordination together, i fell out of rhythm pretty quickly and it was pretty sad to think how much time i wasted getting the rope moving again after lashing myself.

Ordered a new weighted jump rope, hopefully a bit different from the licorice one.

Been doing the speed work all week, going well and up for today was an “easy” run. Gotta run the hard runs hard and the easy runs easy. 50mins of nice and easy. Kind of harder to do than you’d think. But today i got it. stayed super close to the goal and realized my HR stayed around 135 the entire time even with some long uphills. Usually it starts to rise with cardiac drift and i definitely felt tired around 2/3s out which was odd for an easy run. Maybe the humidity plus tired legs from the speed work.

F80CCC2D-2DFA-46E2-80F7-169435B417E6.png

Umm.. I’m good with that. yes please, i’ll have another.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a long run day. We’ll see if i can make that happen or need to move it to Saturday.

I missed out on a local trailrunning race last weekend, too hot and too expensive for what i want to do. I kind of was jonesing to do it and get the tshirt. But the weather was crazy hot (i mentioned the BK HM race above) and i had other stuff going on. Last league games of season for my kids. Kind of glad i passed.

i decided i’d run the trail this summer and today i felt good to go with some extra time. Beautiful weather. This is the first time I’ve driven to another place specifically to run. Felt kind of odd, not sure why since hiking and mountain biking always has that logistical stuff. But running seems different. ~30 min drive away and i had my hydration and fuel ready, sunscreened up and when i got to the trailhead, i had no map/route. Doh. I figured I’d take it easy and maybe do 15k total in and out. A lot of hills.

ED4F8B84-4A05-4819-BEA1-D808BCD4D0D1.jpeg

Some wrong turns here and there, a couple minutes to rest and figure out if i wanted to search for the the path that makes it a HM (not today, i must have past it and i didnt want to backtrack) and in 1:45 i went a bit over 8 miles.. close enough. the weather was great, cool in the canopy shade, low humidity for most of trail and not too many people past the trailhead first mile radius. Good fun run > But No tshirt 😭

76B9C005-E547-41A2-84C4-6C3BC7A5053E.jpg

Participation swag is important!
So i think between the crazy amount of kids sports trophies and the crazy prices of event swag, they have put me off a bit, but this race for a “decent” price was

Fun and challenging course design, sweet finisher medal, professional race operations, chip timing, wonderful volunteer support, medical support, breakfast burritos!, sweet custom buff, and a race t-shirt. “

All for about $45 (10k) - 70$ (HM) if you registered early enough and progressively increased every month until race day.

I think the buff, tshirt and burritos and other prizes would have been close to that fee to not feel too bad at all. I guess a custom medal too is not too bad.

I forgot to mention that in my last trailrun i ran through a meter radius swarm of white winged bugs that were hanging out in the sunshine of a canopy gap. I prepared to go through by taking a huge breath and getting my hands ready to swat my way through quickly. Aaaaand if course i slightly turned my left ankle as i went through the swarm. It felt really bad for a couple steps and then i kind of hobbled then walked (and then ran) it off but i was cautious and i decided to stay off it for a couple days and let it heal. It definitely wasnt 100% and i’m kind of in the taper phase of a training block for a race event that doesn’t exist so i just relaxed. And the weather was hot/humid/stormy so it really wasnt hard to convince me to stay off my feet. Did some TENS pain relief twice and used some menthol/camphor/arnica/cbd pain relief to make it feel nicer. Definitely was stiff, not swollen or bruised.

Flash forward to today and the weather was great, ankle feels pretty good and I thought i’d do some easier run on my local trail. Not sure it was the greatest idea, probably should have stayed on the pavement. It was rough, tiny bit humid, too much hills for me (I thought easy pace would be ok, it wasnt) probably not fueled and hydrated well but i made it through and it wasnt too bad for a 10k effort for me. The first 5k was really difficult, the second was much easier. Good to get out again and get back in the swing of things before not going becomes a habit.

FA9FFB29-4F98-4CAB-912B-F1458613593A.jpeg

Since the HM training block is pretty much over, i need to figure out whats next. More endurance or shorter speed. And for how long. I’d like to work on some shorter speed work to get my 5k and cooper test results better.

Went for a fartlek style run this AM. After a quick kid drop off at quarter to 8am, decided the weather was great to do something fun in the morning. What a morning. Ankle still has a tweak and i making sure not to work it laterally too much. I think the trailrun yesterday may not have been the best, I actually did put some thought into whether or not it was a good idea, and i think getting some movement and a light strain was a good idea but perhaps a bike ride would be better.

Today had me moving easy to hard, literally deciding what speed and distance i wanted at the moment. No goals other than give it the good reasonable/realistic effort and don’t just bail or overdo it. 4.5 miles of good stuff.

Going through the wetlands and lots of birds, turtles and dragonflies.

Tbh, i think going out a bit earlier like around 7am might have been better, but 8:30 was nice and maybe i’ll have some time later to go for a walk.

Kind of concerned my diet is good, but not great. I see body change, but not weight change. And my weight is a bit too high for all this effort, imho.

So i think I noticed something I may have mentioned once before but it appears my "critical power" value of my training system just went down, which is not great for the same weight. It means that most of the training that this will set up for me automatically will likely be too easy. I need to do some testing to feed the system more often. it went down about 332 > 295 in about a month or so, and that will not really be challenging me when i need to be challenged, in fact it probably would put me in no mans land. thats not good.

So my ankle is feeling 99% and i want it to be closer to 100%, i just went out for a quick 10k walk with my kid who is in month 8 from recovering from torn ACL. Gorgeous day, fantastic weather and we had a good time talking. Took us a bit more than an hour and a half.

Lots of turtles sunning themselves and red winged black birds. A big ol spicebush swallowtail butterfly also made an appearance on our route and then sadly we watched a young deer get clipped on a road by a car, but after a few moments of wobbling, it bounded off. Its one of those slow speed limit roads along the water that some folks have trouble not speeding on or droving distracted.

Last night i was with my daughter at her PT session for acl rehab and they had a fancy curved woodward treadmill. They let me play on it and i almost bit it after a few moments. I guess you have to get used to it. Pretty cool tech though.

Thought I’d do some baseline testing which i haven’t really done before. Yesterday was a botched MAF test. I knew the process but couldn’t remember the protocol and went a bit too hard. Easy pace, but not low enough bpm and too many hills. I’ll do it again soon, but it was a nice 5mile outing with my youngest.

30AE55D1-91AA-46A4-9AB5-CFB97D20D937.png
After the 10min warmup it was supposed to be a 3mile session at same HR around 140bpm and 10min cooldown. I couldnt remember if i was supposed to keep a low bpm or just go easy feel. I chose wrong. No biggie. Fun run.

Todays testing was a running index. 10 min warmup and then a continuous progression of slow to faster paces to see HR progression. Test stops when i cant handle the pace for more than 20 seconds or so. Didnt take too long. 1.5 miles about 15 minutes. Apparently it was not a terrible result. But clearly not in a place where i can sustain 7:30pace for long. VO2 max of 51. I’ll take that with a grain of salt.

7077DEC2-DA59-47E1-A42A-5AAC2F3008F2.png
I’ll start testing myself more consistently. It was super humid today and the rolling hills were nice but not really helping my legs.

EB69205E-3EA4-449F-8276-F876B2A53B7C.png

So MAF test compared to monday was much better executed. Stayed around 145bpm HR the entire time as can be expected on a non flat but not too hilly course and the pace clearly degrades over the 3 miles.

0EF7512D-23E6-43DC-948F-7EDE8BBE8D5A.jpeg

pretty easy run, much slower than i feel I am used to for a while now and food for thought as it was hard to get down to 135bpm, which is where the generic calculations suggest before modification.

Cadence was around 162spm. I’d like to see this again next month on similar or flat route.

Been a great couple of days to get in a run if you catch the window where there isnt a storm or humidity or something else.

Yesterday was a crazy low HR run. I dont know what happened, but managed to stay around 135 for a 5k. Not fast at all though, but feel relaxed.

Today would have been a long run day before so thats what i kept it as. About 12 miles and some crazy hills that i have walked a bit in the past but never made it to the top. Today managed to climb over it twice without stopping Oh yeah. Also decided to add some fuel around an hour in and total game changer. Normally id be pretty tired by 5 miles with these hills, but i was still moving. Form didnt really breakdown but at mile 8 it was clear i wasnt paying attention and quickly corrected. Probably could have used some more fuel (didn’t have any though) and any water would have been nice. 90 mins and I’m close to where i started and i wanted 30 more mins so I decided to hit the boardwalk. Bad choice. Humid, hot full sun. I made it about 15-20 mins in and i started to tire so i walked until i felt better for about 2-3 mins seconds and then got back to pace.

150 meters left or so and I thought i would pick up the pace and bring it home with some speed but with 10meters left got a hamstring cramp and had to stop. 😂 stretched for a moment and jogged it in. A nice 1.5 mile uphill cooldown walk and i was done before 1pm.

Went back to the store to grab some more of these fuel packets.

And definitely need some bug spray next time. deer flys are a big pain in the you know what

0699EB41-3051-4B38-83AE-E6F461E5B6C9.jpeg

I thought this was my best effort in a while but the hills crushed my pace so no 20k PR

Btw^ Blue is pace, red is HR, yellow is power.

Those 2 huge (in my mind) hills are about a 120ft climb over 1/2 mile on the way in and 2/3 mile on the way out. The way out downhill requires significant slowing of pace as i had once (on an earlier run) let gravity take the wheel and i was way way out of control and could not stop, kind of scared i was gonna bite it… badly. Luckily i managed to come out of it unscathed, but really totally surprised by the pace and the lack of control. Fun and not fun at the same time.

Back