The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Jon’s musing about running and things about running while running and after running and probably before running too

Done some intervals over the last 2 days.

Tuesday was hill repeats. 5 reps of 10seconds uphill 8-9/10 effort, 30 seconds back down walk. 5x. Then a 30 minute easy run followed by another 5rep interval at same hill. Felt pretty good.

Wednesday i was at a track and wasn't quite sure what i wanted to do. I probably should have done an easy run, but i only get the track one a week usually, so i decided to work on mile speed. 6x 400meters at targeted 7min/mile pace. Still going out to fast early in the beginning speed wise and then a 5 year old on a bike challenged me to some racing laps. That was kind of fun, but exhausting to keep racing race after race after race. He called me out for next week saying i better be better. 😂

Very inspired reading through this thread. I’ve been a runner for >30 years. 6 years ago I had meniscus surgery to take out 40% from my left knee (BAD long term tear), and I was on the sidelines for about 2 years before getting back out there. Adding the running helped get my weight within 8 lbs of my goal (started 30 lbs overweight). Then COVID and I’ve just gotten started again to take off the 40 I put on.

Bob, thx! Slow easy miles!

I was having some odd knee feelings that made me nervous this week so i tried to rest a bit, especially with the high heat going on.

Glad to hear you are on the mend! I think i have about 30lbs+ to lose. Really hard for me. I think most of you would probably disagree, but I’m definitely carrying around a spare tire. Worse than last year this time if memory serves me correctly. I think its the walking that i stopped in favor of running.

I did get some time in though on Monday (4 miles in 37mins) and Wednesday intervals (6x400meter) intervals. So hot. It just feels really enjoyably to run those two sessions. I cant even describe exactly why i like it. But i really do.

Been really hot/humid so I’ve limited my runs to either 5ks ~30mins give or take 2 mins or 400m interval workouts. So mileage is way down for july and probably a nice fatigue recovery moment.

Yesterday and today ran some 5k’s. Its pretty humid and it really feels like a hard run in these conditions. yesterday was relatively flat, i expected to run 2 5ks but weather and plans went sideways. Downpour and logistics were off. today was hills. mentally i’m trying to keep even or slightly negative split pacing until the last 400meters or so and then it’s on… Finish the run strong.

A835F55C-CCE2-4123-B7D4-FE5D9F3EFB11.jpeg

Definitely keeping an eye on the forecast to take advantage of any dip in the humidity.

I wanted to go back to elaborate on todays run. It took me about 28mins to go the 5k. At 1.5 miles i felt like i wanted to stop. Felt the same way at 1.75 and 2 but i kept moving. Its the hill ascents. Just thinking about them is tiring, i end up picking up the cadence and thinking about triple extension, pushing off a straight leg and bang the hills out. Luckily the last major hill is at 2.5 and its steep but short and a nice downhill to pickup some speed. But man, that first time i felt like i should stop is a huge mental experience, like body systems working against each other. I wonder if i had worn my headphones woth music if i would have felt the same way.

Had a chance to get back to my 1.5m loop near the pentagon in the late afternoon around 6pm. It was hot and humid (whats new?) so i decided to take it easy and do a couple laps at easy pace/easy effort. No watch today just a foot pod and arm hr monitor (polar oh1+) that together give me all the info after the fact. I can focus on form, effort, breathing and see how it all works out.

Well, let me tell you, the watch makes the consolidation of data so much easier and convenient. I’m not dying for the data, but its a really nice to have.

I went a bit over about 10k in 65 minutes and felt pretty good. Kept a pretty even pace throughout (plus/minus about 20 seconds) the cardiac drift up as expected and i was sopped with sweat. I could wring it out if my shorts and shirt. I switched direction after 5k, there was a breeze along the bay and the humidity dropped as i finished. nothing exciting to report which i guess can be a positive thing.

I’ll keep the watch on next time, i like the data regardless of the nature of the run. Lesson learned. I was able to export files from both sensors into a third party, but the first party systems are missing key parts now. No biggie, but a pain.

Taking a couple days off to let myself rest. Some poor sleep and my injured knee was making some clicking noise and a bit swollen.

Probably from too much speed work too soon. Was doing flying 10m races against my kids at the rehab sports facility with timing gates. 1.32s average time for me, but my 13yo was at 1.25s. She looked slower, but she has crazy stride length and enough foot turnover.

So instead i started doing some body weight exercises and learned to cook some wood fired Neapolitan style pizzas! Gotta make sure i dont switch one hobby for the other. Keep it balanced!

ED106672-70CD-4D54-AB6E-12BE375DD933.jpeg

Somehow, someway my community pool which has been closed/under renovation for last 3 years opened this week!! So excited to do something besides run since cross training is really recommended and know i see (or perhaps feel is the better word choice) why

i jumped in and i did a few laps. Wow! super weak showing, that was exhausting. My swim shorts are way too big and i was not prepared for being this tired.

did ~25 mins of slow one way laps with some rest in between each lap. Maybe 30 seconds each 25meter “lap”, i don’t even know what its called. Is it a lap? Or is down and back a lap?

Only a few days of summer left though and hopefully i’ll have access to the indoor pool soon.

Turns out both outdoor and indoor pools are OPEN!! Worked until about 4pm and jumped into the outdoor pool and did some more laps and tried to figure out how the polar watch tracks HR and distance in water (it can also determine what stroke you are doing).

About 30 mins of laps which seemed easier than yesterday and 60 mins of having fun with my kids. Seems HR in water should be about 10-15bpm less than on land based on vertical vs horizontal body positions and my HR seemed to be about 115-130bpm during laps. Not sure if thats right, but it definitely feels like a whole different thing than HR while running.

Also tried some water running and that was not easy and not hard depending on the depth of the water. There were points in the 5ft depth that i was really not making forward progression and was drifting in the directions the jets were streaming from the other side of the pool. Also HR was not super high and i was in “sprint” mode. Needless to say my kids were embarrassed by me. Lol.

Weather here in DC is not too hospitable. Lightning already took out 2 people yesterday and 2 others to hospital so I’ve played it safe.

I took opportunity at noon to get in 45 mins in the pool before the storms came through again. 1000meters in 21 mins. I’m getting better and more acclimated to being in the pool and feeling pretty decent.

So i realized i haven’t actually run in a week. I did have intentions of it on friday and Thursday, but i’ve ended up in the pool again and doing 1000ms of laps. Takes me approximately 45 mins of minor variations of swim/rest and breathing counts. My form falls apart around minute 40. HR seems to stay around 130 give or take 10. Definitely feel some like i forgot about my upper body over the last 2 years, but it’s not sore and it is feeling good.

Got in a run and a swim today! 1mile and 400m time trial after a 5k quick walk. And i got a new personal best/record for the mile at 7:27 without going crazy all out, just a good pacing to make time. I wasnt ever tracking a 400 as closely but 90secs compared to the 1:45intervals i was doing last month. Progress, not super fast but finishing the 400 doesnt seem super easy, definitely running out if gas at then end.

Got some new goggles for the pool! Jumped in the pool at 8:40pm and 15 mins of laps for 300meters and then they kicked me out. Really enjoying the pool time for now.

Not sure how i got anything as I wasn’t really around people, but maybe i got it from one of my kids and their sports team that recently started up or the newly opened pool. As an aside, they reopened the gym so thats a plus!

Interestingly a day or 2 before i felt kind of bad (just sore shoulders/neck and genera fatigue) my watch spotted i wasnt recovered. I still felt ok though. I started to feel kind of off on monday late morning/afternoon (8/15). I didnt do any running or swimming since last Thursday as i really wanted to see “recovered” before i headed out again.

Not sure how accurate the nightly recharge reports work, but i definitely havent slept great this week. And of course i am on scheduled vacation. And of course the weather is great!

B04890F9-B6E6-4AEF-A1BD-E5DBFA4850FD.jpeg

DD403149-8AEF-48B6-94CB-4387261D4E8B.jpeg

Starting to feel a lot better already, so thats a plus.

The ick pretty much seems to self actualize these days when it feels like it. No making sense of it.

Hoping for a swift recovery for you Jon!

So i was really trying to get running back into the schedule, did a 5k on wed and went out a bit fast and it felt good but tough. It was hot.

I promised myself to go outside today.. it took me what felt like forever to actually do it though. Finally went for an easy run. Felt really nice to be back out on the road and trails. Jumped into the pool and did 20 mins of easy laps.

hoping i can get back into and stay in the groove soon.

Getting over any kind of illness takes all the umph out of exercising. You might only be sick for a few days...but it can derail you for weeks it seems. Ease on into it...you will get there.

Back