The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie- THE CADRE DECIDES

Is the movie "Die Hard" with Bruce Willis a Christmas Move

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
If you have been following the "Riveting Debate" (somewhat like watching Grass Grow) between our very own @NurseDave and @heysi aka Stephan, aka the Master Debater, as to whether the Fantastic Movie, and the original, DIE HARD with Bruce Willis is / or is not a Christmas Movie.

Since most of the World's most pressing issues are decided by YOU, the members of THE SHAVING CADRE.

LET YOUR VOICES BE COUNTED!! and finally determine if it is, or if it is not a Christmas movie

nakatomi 1.png

Oh boy here we go. There's two groups of people in the world. Those who know Diehard is a Christmas movie and those who pour milk before cereal in otherwords cereal I mean serial killers.

Tip your waitresses I'll be here all week.

I can't believe that I agree with @CVargo on something... But, Die Hard is most certainly a Christmas Movie. Emily and I watch it every December.

To be clear, it wasn’t a debate between myself and Mr Glitter City. It was me posting two of several article that analyze and give supporting evidence to this fact. And then Mr Pantone 294c just replied with “un uh”.

If this film had been staged in summer.....the office party being replaced with a company picnic....you people would be claiming this was a July 4th movie (SMH!). The time of year does NOT make a seasonal movie. The actual holiday has to be central to the theme of the film!!

This an action film. Not a christmas film. The proof is in the fact that christmas does NOT feature in the plotline!!!

The popular, culturally accepted ....incorrect...thought that its a christmas movie is just lazy.

Die Hard features Christmas in Hollis, Winter Wonderland, a whistled section of Jingle Bells and a rousing rendition of Let It Snow over the end credits. This means that audibly, Die Hard is more Christmassy than 99.2% of all movies released over the past thirty years.

This an action film.
“Home Alone” is a kid friendly “Die Hard.” Hear me out. (1) Man/boy is trapped in a large building being broken into and must protect it, (2) Man/boy must use only what he finds around said building to protect themselves, (3) plot is set into action because of Christmas.

So Home Alone, which is listed as a Chirstmas movie could have happened in the summer when the parents went to Tahiti. Or Star Wars could have been set in Detroit and wouldn't have been a Sci-fi movie. It's not about what could have been. It's what is buddy.

Currrently the people have spoken, and our intrepid Master Debater may be doing this..... based on Current Poll numbers

The proof is in the fact that christmas does NOT feature in the plotline!!!
John travels to LA to visit his wife and kids, BECAUSE it's Christmas. Seems like it's an integral part, if not the foundation of the plot.

Wait till you see the next discussion on the 2nd best Christmas Movie to Drive @heysi Nuts. However, 1st things First, ROFL

Based on the evidence @NurseDave presents, it certainly seems like it is a X-mas movie.

What about the fact that it was released in July? I can’t name any other summer release Christmas movies, and that bugs me a little bit.

I added my name to the "no" list. For me it boils down to when in the year the movie was released. For some reason the movie was released mid-summer, if I am not mistaken the sequals were also released in the summer. This means it was never meant to be considered a Christmas movie. The twist comes in becasue the Christmas party theme and the inclusion of various holiday decorations in major action seqences. The sequals (at least Die HArd 2) take place during the holiday season as well but I think it would be harder to call it a Christmas movei (even for you die hard Die HArd fans). Thgat said the original movie certainly feels a lot like a Christmas movie...kind of like the opposite of the typical Hallmark Christmas movy, so I can see why/how it has become a Christmas classic. But, while I appreciate its lack of Hallmarkness (that's a word, it describes every Hallmark movie) and would prefer an evening curled up on the couch watching Die Hard, I can't call it a Christmas movie.

At a minimum I think reasonable minds would agree Die Hard is an action movie FIRST and any potential Christmas movie designation comes in second.

It may not have been intended as a Christmas movie, but it has been adopted as one. So now it is.
See.....it can't be true just because the internet says so. The movie was released in july of 1988. If they had "intended it" to be a christmas movie...the would have released it in late november.

And I do not disregard facts....I present very compelling arguments and everyone always says...."but the internet says...."

Lazy.

Back