The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

If you have to do something...

Great shave today. I love the Three Amigos reference.

As for glass bottles, look for hot sauce bottles (also called woozy bottles or dasher bottles) on Amazon.

Catching up. Great shaves Chris, and good review on the GD soap. I'll be looking into them for sure!

Definitely good stuff! I’ve still got 3 more to try!

I store my gear in my room and the main scents now are these soaps as I walk in...it’s heavenly.

Good stuff, and no worries about PIFing away anything that’s not your bag. It’s the circle of life.

Gotta laugh at the suggestions to use more Veg. I hate the smell of my fingers after just touching the cap.

Shave #67:

- Editorial note: Yesterday’s soap was in fact called Angel, not Cedrus Angel, same company, different soap.

On with today!

Today was a 3 pass shave - Feather AC SS for the WTG and XTG, RR BS for the ATG. Today’s software was Grooming Department Coattails and Pinaud Clubman original (not Pinaud Clubman Cat Spray).

Coattails - Beef Tallow. Scent notes: Saffron, Clove, Oud and Vetiver.

Ingredients: Water, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Oil, Beef Tallow, Cupuacu Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Pomegranate Oil, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Sunflower Lecithin, Sodium Lactate.

Word on the street is that Mohammed does use soaps from other vendors (shhhh, it’s a secret!). Coattails is his product based on the inspiration from soaps such as Panama 1924, SMN, and ABC. It is one of his newer concoctions...and it does not disappoint!

In reflecting on the last two samples I tried. Coattails is very different, in a wholly positive way. It is pretty much a very soft croap (not quite a cream). If TOBS creams were to turn artisan, this would be what they’re shooting for.

The scent is really hard to pin for an untrained shnoz such as I have, but it comes of very green, fresh, with a touch of what I might call fern. It must be the clove/saffron mix that really is upfront. I would say it is a step up for in-shave slickness in comparison to the last two and also a step up in ease of lather forming. I want to emphasize that I used about a pea sized bit of product and had enough lather for 3 passes and a lather soak! Coattails hold just as much water as it’s GD brethren but in a superior way. The scent might not be exactly what I’d look for (though I hear there may be an almond scent in the works) but the performance...it may be the finest I’ve had out of a soap yet (in my very limited experience).

Pinaud was a good follow up for the slight citrusy scent that lingers (some say citronella...maybe so, maybe not, but at least it’s not cat spray). It is smooth, non-greasy, and a little goes a long way (one dash was enough to cover my shave).

Fun BBS shave today, entertaining a classic and a newcomer destined for good things!

I’m very grateful for these new experiences.

WOW, I was way behind, just caught up and great reads, as to your reference to the three amigos, we have a soap coming out later this summer called "El Guapo", LOL

Great shave and review of the soap Chris! I will say though, the venerable Knights of the VegTable might take umbrage to the incessant use of the "cat spray" reference...LOL. (I'm neither chosen or not chosen...some days it is great others, not so much). You will, however, endear yourself to Mr. Tabor, the ever present nemesis of those that honor the Veg.

WOW, I was way behind, just caught up and great reads, as to your reference to the three amigos, we have a soap coming out later this summer called "El Guapo", LOL

Si jefe!

Great shave and review of the soap Chris! I will say though, the venerable Knights of the VegTable might take umbrage to the incessant use of the "cat spray" reference...LOL. (I'm neither chosen or not chosen...some days it is great others, not so much). You will, however, endear yourself to Mr. Tabor, the ever present nemesis of those that honor the Veg.

Yea, I’m not so sure that anything could improve that Pinaud formula, even decanting it. I’ll try it when I can though, especially for the original.

Another great source for glass hot sauce bottles is Chipotle Restaurant! They will give you their empties! I have about a dozen sitting in readiness.

All caught up on your journal - welcome aboard! And I am very pleased to hear that you are NOT chosen! The Veg is something to be feared, whether decanted in glass or not - run away; run far, far away!
1f60e.png

Another great source for glass hot sauce bottles is Chipotle Restaurant! They will give you their empties! I have about a dozen sitting in readiness.

Pro tip! I have one close by!

All caught up on your journal - welcome aboard! And I am very pleased to hear that you are NOT chosen! The Veg is something to be feared, whether decanted in glass or not - run away; run far, far away!
1f60e.png
Ha!

Really enjoying the journal so far!

I, too, have tried the Veg and found it very.... YUCK!

SWMBO wasn't sure what she was smelling at first, and when I mentioned some folks comparing it to cat pee she shouted "THAT'S WHAT I SMELL!"

Good thing there are more aftershaves out there to keep the Veg out of your rotation.

Really enjoying the journal so far!

I, too, have tried the Veg and found it very.... YUCK!

SWMBO wasn't sure what she was smelling at first, and when I mentioned some folks comparing it to cat pee she shouted "THAT'S WHAT I SMELL!"

Good thing there are more aftershaves out there to keep the Veg out of your rotation.

Thanks!

Yes, I’m going to try the decanting solution before final judgements on the Veg, but I’m pretty sure it is made to throw in the garbage after purchase.

Shave #68:

Well, we have to rough shaves once in a while I guess...hopefully this was mine for the week. Thankfully I wasn’t bullheaded about it, so after all is said and done I still look decent!

Today’s soap was Grooming Department: Yuzu

Yuzu - Vegan base: Scent notes: Yuzu, Citrus Accord, Basil, Clove, Haitian Vetiver

Ingredients:
Stearic Acid, Water, Glycerin, Coconut Milk, Potassium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Kokum Butter, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Shea Butter, Sucrose Cocoate, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Safflower Oil, Cupuacu Butter, Jojoba Oil, Babassu Oil, Acacia Senegal Gum, Kaolin Clay, Abyssinian Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Lactate, Sodium Citrate, Xanthan Gum, Candelilla Wax, Carnauba Wax, Allantoin, Chamomile Extract, Sea Buckthorn Extract. Flaxseed Oil, Sacha Inchi Extract.

The scent of this soap soap is very pleasing. It is a green scent, quite a bouquet to me without being super floral, and a hinted underlying earthiness. It was almost an herbaceous umami scent.

Whereas GD: Angel was easy to lather and maintained slickness in line with its bretheren, I by far had the most trouble with Yuzu this morning. The sample was the closest so far to a regular soap in its density and firmness. I loaded (I thought) for a good 45 seconds in total (I had to reload a bit here and there throughout the shave) but the lather was just off.

The to get the slickness I like, which the other soaps had, I pretty much had to break the lather a bit, as whenever I reworked in product it just felt pasty and dry. So the lather ended slightly runny with some slickness, but definitely lacked the richness of the other soaps. Likely this had something to do with the lack of actual tallow and having a vegan base; just a guess.

Of the samples so far, this has been my least favorite in performance.

The shave itself was a 2 pass with cleanup. The Feather SS took the XTG and performed admirably given the circumstances.

The RR BS gave me good results in the end, but a very rough ATG pass and clean up. I’ve already tossed the blade to eliminate variables. That was hard as it had no where near the normal number of shaves I get out of them (it was an Astra SP). I’ll start with a fresh one tomorrow. I know I can get a good shave out of it, the first shave was phenomenal. I really am thinking it could be the BS’s angle that wears edges more quickly...we’ll see.

Finished off with a lather soak, some alum, and sealed the deal with RR The Stallion AS splash. Onward and upward!

Sorry about the rough shave. I guess not every soap can be a winner, even when from a great producer.

Sorry about the rough shave. I guess not every soap can be a winner, even when from a great producer.

This is true. Still, the fact that it is vegan might appeal to some. I guess I just like animal fat...bacon...

sorry about the substandard shave Chris...you might be onto something about the angle affecting the blade and causing accelerated degradation to the edge.

Back