The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I are a new stewdent

ShawnF

Possibly Ironman
Hobbyist
Some of you know I have been out of work for the last 5 months. Things have been pretty rough. Well I actually got some good news today.
I am now enrolled in an electronics and instrumentation course put on at Pitt Bradford starting the 25th. It will run through the end of Dec. and give me a certification to add to my resume.

This is going to be no cost to me by way of a grant that some companies got together and earned to get more qualified workers through the state. I qualify from being displaced from my last job.
I have the mechanical skills and background for a lot of industrial maintenance jobs, but lack the electrical experience needed. I can wire a box, or know enough to swap phase legs if a 3 phase motor is running backwards, simple stuff like that, but I don't have the knowledge of setting up plc's or doing timing adjustments, or the real technical stuff. So I'm really hoping that this is going to help me out a great deal in the future.

It's still not helping the current income situation, but it is making opportunities open up. I'm excited and scared to death. I haven't been in any school since I graduated in 1990 and didn't like it then.
1f606.png

I know what you mean about didn't like it then. But as adults our view is different. I'm excited for you and you'll excell at this I bet. Just don't let it cut into making knives ?

Thats good news. Nothing like being given new skills to add to your tool belt. It will no doubt lead to new opportunities and for that I am most happy for you.

Thanks Chris! I like new tools and skills, but still not sure of this school thing though haha.

Outstanding news. I hope it opens up amazing opportunities for you. And very cool that you get into the course for free. I know paying for a course, when you don't have a job is a huge hurdle for many.

Thanks KJ!
I had the opportunity a few years ago when my company got bought and I was laid off. But before all the paperwork was done I got called back to work for a temporary job. So if I refused the job, I would no longer qualify for my un-employment, and since I went back but that disqualified me for the schooling. So they had me either way. This one I'm all signed up for, enrolled, and ready to go.
I really like doing the maintenance jobs as it's something different every day, so this will be a big help for that.

You can do this Shawn! Like most phases of our life there is apprehension. But you are capable and smart! I am so happy for you! I know December is a bit off...but it will be done before you know it!

Wooohoo co-eds! Unless you’re in a classroom full of dudes. Then I hope you stay awake!

You can do this Shawn! Like most phases of our life there is apprehension. But you are capable and smart! I am so happy for you! I know December is a bit off...but it will be done before you know it!
Why would you swear at me like that?!?! I thought we were friends?
1f606.png

Hope you know I was kidding. More important we get you back to a regular gig.
I do, don't worry!
1f61c.png

Good for you Shawn! Another area for you to excel at!
I don't know about excel, but I may be able to hobble my way through.
1f601.png

Wooohoo co-eds! Unless you’re in a classroom full of dudes. Then I hope you stay awake!
SHHHHHHHH!!!! Don't let the Mrs. hear you!!!
1f609.png

Shawn, this is great news. I’m pleased and grateful to see more and more corporate support for grants that make this kind of thing happen. Good luck!

That’s great Shawn, congratulations! It’s great learning new things in an area that interests you, and so bds like this will help you out in the long run.

Great news Shawn! That's my area of expertise, Industrial Electricity and Electronics. I'm also well versed in hydraulics and pneumatics and general mechanical repairs also.

Very cool Craig! Now I know who I'm going to be bugging constantly for the next 3 months haha!

Well....... I made a choice and decided I'm not going to go to school. It starts tomorrow, but I'm not going.

I went to Bradford to talk with a guy today and he is going to put me to work full time erecting prefab metal buildings. Starting pay is $16 an hour. The way he is talking, he wants to groom me into running a crew. I'll be starting Wed.
I'll miss a good opportunity to learn some new things, but I really can't pass up a chance at a full time job with room for advancement.

One thing I really liked was during the interview he was talking to me. Not just can you do this or that, but actually getting to know me and basing things off of conversation as well as my resume. He seems really down to earth and like he's going to be a good guy to work for.

Sounds exciting Shawn, you definitely have a broad range of skills, the guy is lucky to find you.

Sounds like it’ll be a good fit for you! Hope everything works out and that you enjoy it!

Back