The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Help a Guy out- What scent do wish you could find in soap/cream form?

I have always seen scent creation/development as an art. Our own Xenostr8shaver (Dave) is a trained parfumer (or some such title) so I often rely on his descriptions and recommendations. Talking with him it sounds like creating wonderful scent combinations like SV70 is part art and part science.

I agree Lavender & Sandalwood is seemingly strange but I have smelled a Lavender & Cedarwood that was quite exquisite, I assume pairing Lavender with a woody frag is an accepted pairing.

I am allergic to cedar and to sandalwood. I loathe leather, smoke, and gunpowder. I don't like any vetiver that smells like rotting vegetables or smells like a campfire.

I love peach and nectarine. I like florals if they are not too heavy. A combination of peach and maybe a light white flower would be awesome, as far as I'm concerned.

I like the smell of pear, especially Asian pear. I think a one-note soap with Asian pear would probably be outstanding, but what do I know.

I like citrus scents of any kind, and they mix well with basil, lemongrass, or florals. Lime with lemongrass, ginger, and maybe a grassy (but not smoky vetiver) in the base would be nice, I think.

I am allergic to cedar and to sandalwood. I loathe leather, smoke, and gunpowder. I don't like any vetiver that smells like rotting vegetables or smells like a campfire.

I love peach and nectarine. I like florals if they are not too heavy. A combination of peach and maybe a light white flower would be awesome, as far as I'm concerned.

I like the smell of pear, especially Asian pear. I think a one-note soap with Asian pear would probably be outstanding, but what do I know.

I like citrus scents of any kind, and they mix well with basil, lemongrass, or florals. Lime with lemongrass, ginger, and maybe a grassy (but not smoky vetiver) in the base would be nice, I think.

Oh man you hit it there...peach with maybe water lily or a VERY light jasmine or...nope got it...

Peach with Orange Blossom...I would settle for peony! Great idea!

I honestly find some of the answers suprising. I thought only a woman would want to shave with chocolate or delicate fruity florals. You learn something new everyday.

OK, I'll try to add something helpful. I prefer Naturey scents, but not florals. There are a couple florals I don't mind, like Lily of the Valley, Lilac, or Lavender (except lavenders are usually too strong), but usually as just a one or two note scent. But mostly I like green Fougères, vetivers, herbaceous (within reason), and earthy smells. I especially like woods, sage, vanilla (subtle), moss, and juniper.

OK, I'll try to add something helpful. I prefer Naturey scents, but not florals. There are a couple florals I don't mind, like Lily of the Valley, Lilac, or Lavender (except lavenders are usually too strong), but usually as just a one or two note scent. But mostly I like green Fougères, vetivers, herbaceous (within reason), and earthy smells. I especially like woods, sage, vanilla (subtle), moss, and juniper.
Those sound like scents I would go for. I am not a fan of lily of the valley or jasmin but when done well it can be interesting. I also don't enjoy a lot of sandalwoods, Lisa makes one i enjoy and D.R. Harris does too...but I don't like any other.

I still haven't tried sandalwood, but I ha e a puck sitting under my sink right now. I think i will need to give it a try soon.

I live almond, cherry, and all the fruit scents. Had Stirling executive man and enjoyed that but it was just too heavy of a smell for me. I like a light scent that lasts for a long time, I am a night shave and the light scents help me relax as I am trying to fall asleep. I would like to have a long lasting scent from the soap with no need for the aftershave or balm for those days that I do shave in the morning.

I do not claim to know much about scents. One combination that has intrigued me lately is orange and frankincense. Not sure how it would turn out.

I got in on this conversation way too late. Problem was that I was searching for any place that still had a good quality Dragon's Blood or Nag Champa. Yeah, by coming across my wood soap bowl that still had the Dragon's Blood scent from a year ago, I remembered how much I liked that. Sad to say that most places dropped their line of both. I also remember one of my first shaving soap I got was a bamboo something scent. It was a cheap puck off of either eBay or Etsy and I was still growing bamboo at that time. The scent was great and the soap was average and so something with a bamboo scent would be good. Also got hooked on cannabis when I got a jar of RR Dead Sea. Maybe a cannabis/nag champa scent to remind me of the good old day which I can't remember too well.

I got in on this conversation way too late. Problem was that I was searching for any place that still had a good quality Dragon's Blood or Nag Champa. Yeah, by coming across my wood soap bowl that still had the Dragon's Blood scent from a year ago, I remembered how much I liked that. Sad to say that most places dropped their line of both. I also remember one of my first shaving soap I got was a bamboo something scent. It was a cheap puck off of either eBay or Etsy and I was still growing bamboo at that time. The scent was great and the soap was average and so something with a bamboo scent would be good. Also got hooked on cannabis when I got a jar of RR Dead Sea. Maybe a cannabis/nag champa scent to remind me of the good old day which I can't remember too well.

I would be very interested in something like this! I think the cannabis flower is similar to gardenia in scent...a little lighter maybe...but I think that would be a great scent.

A lot of people dropped Dragon's Blood because too many users had reactions to it like skin burning or tingling.

Back