The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello guys I’m new in this forum but having really hard time with my shaves. Please help

Attaboy! Keep at it with that setup until you can get consistently good shaves then we can look at adjustments!

Sooo got my Rockwell 6S today and think I got a little to excited and comfortable with that razor. Felt a lot more stinging with the alum block after. And chin and mustache area not as clean as the last shave. I do admit I used a #3 plate for the neck and cheeks and decided to go with a #2 plate for the mustache and chin. I think because of that, and since it’s my first time using that razor, I wasn’t able to shave as clean and definitely felt a lot of stinging in that area. Had to probably go WTG tree times and some type of XTG once in the chin and mustache area. Probably should kept the #3 plate the whole shave and just go 1 WTG pass.

Either way, hoping I don’t get any razor burn or bumps but I doubt it. Face is still stinging a little so pretty sure I’m going to get it.

Hoping for better shaves next time.

Happy shaves guys

46c318f18a8768a405bb7076a306215f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Rockwell 6S is such a nice razor. When it comes up in my rotation I really like it.

One thing about the Rockwell is that it is relatively heavy. For me, that means I can allow the razor to do all the work by applying little to no pressure. I simply find my angle and move it along without applying pressure.

I also do one thing that many others do not. I sometimes switch plates between passes to minimize irritation; it is easy to do. I start out with a high number, say a 4, 5 or 6, depending on how many days of beard growth I have, for my initial pass With the Grain (WTG). For the next Across the Grain XTG pass, I will drop down to a 4 or 3. For my final Against the Grain ATG pass I will use a 2. This allows me to shave against the grain with the least aggressive plate for the least amount of irritation. I developed this approach because I was getting excessive irritation when my technique was less advanced. It really helped with that problem.

I hope that this helps.

I have avoided posting this until now because I believe it is important to have a firm foundation and grasp of the basics before anything else. In order to do that you need feedback which you get when you make mistakes e.g. you learn to apply no pressure on the razor (or as little as possible) when you get irritation in those areas where you applied pressure to the razor. The following product will minimize the feedback.

Once you have a firm grasp of the basics, consider purchasing Grooming Department Moisturizing Pre-Shave Moisturizer. I apply a liberal amount to a wet face (I shower before I shave) and massage it in for an extended period of a minute or so. The Pre-Shave will enhance any shaving soap you then apply, making it much slicker. After the first pass and before the second pass, I put more water on my face and reapply the Pre-Shave. This will put the shaving soap on an entirely new level of slickness. Grooming Dept Pre-Shave makes any soap I have used much better and minimizes any irritation. When I use it, the second pass is so smooth--the difference is remarkable. It is almost like cheating.

Grooming Dept is introducing a new formula for its Pre-Shave on July 18th at 11 am PDT. I don't know how much product Mohammad has made or how long it will last before selling out. It is supposed to be better than the old formula which I have been using (in the Eucalyptus Spearmint scent) for a couple of months now. I can express no opinion on it not having used it. All I can say is that the Pre-Shave product I am now using is the best shaving product I have encountered in some time.

Hello guys. Just giving an update. The whole idea of passing my electronic shaver first before shaving with a DE has worked perfectly. Right now after doing that I’m using Plate #2 on my cheeks and neck area and a plate #1 on my chin and mustache area.

Being comfortable with this I decided yesterday to try and shave “without” using my electronic shaver first. I had a 2 days beard growth and decided to use the same process. #2 plate on cheeks and neck area and #1 plate on mustache and chin area.

I noticed that on my cheeks and neck area everything went well and smooth. But on my chin and mustache area definitely had a lot of problems “shaving” the facial hair off. I had to do 4 passes and still couldn’t get a nice smooth after look like my cheeks and neck. I understand it’s probably because I’m using a #1 plate but it’s the only plate that won’t give me any irritation or burn in those areas. I did try a while back to shave those areas with a #2 and not only did I not get a smooth after shave look but ended up with irritation and burn. I know I still need to work on my technique.

Well I wanted to keep you guys updated with my shaving experience so far.

Happy shaves

Hello guys. Just giving an update. The whole idea of passing my electronic shaver first before shaving with a DE has worked perfectly. Right now after doing that I’m using Plate #2 on my cheeks and neck area and a plate #1 on my chin and mustache area.

Being comfortable with this I decided yesterday to try and shave “without” using my electronic shaver first. I had a 2 days beard growth and decided to use the same process. #2 plate on cheeks and neck area and #1 plate on mustache and chin area.

I noticed that on my cheeks and neck area everything went well and smooth. But on my chin and mustache area definitely had a lot of problems “shaving” the facial hair off. I had to do 4 passes and still couldn’t get a nice smooth after look like my cheeks and neck. I understand it’s probably because I’m using a #1 plate but it’s the only plate that won’t give me any irritation or burn in those areas. I did try a while back to shave those areas with a #2 and not only did I not get a smooth after shave look but ended up with irritation and burn. I know I still need to work on my technique.

Well I wanted to keep you guys updated with my shaving experience so far.

Happy shaves

Glad you’re progressing along well! Keep up the practice!

Thanks for checking in!

Good to hear from you again. Don't be a stranger man, there's lots of good comversations and information around here!

SOTD!!

Had an amazing shave today! Decided to give Astras another try with the current setup and let me say it was amazing. First real smooth shave I’ve had! Felt awesome! Feel my technique is getting better but still not ready to shave “without” first using my electric shaver.

Happy shaves!

68b8f249e4aa7a870e4addf645dbc857.jpg

SOTD!!

Had an amazing shave today! Decided to give Astras another try with the current setup and let me say it was amazing. First real smooth shave I’ve had! Felt awesome! Feel my technique is getting better but still not ready to shave “without” first using my electric shaver.

Happy shaves!

68b8f249e4aa7a870e4addf645dbc857.jpg

Nice set up Maximo! May there be many more such shaves!

Nice looking soap/AS combo. What is the scent?

Nice set up Maximo! May there be many more such shaves!

Nice looking soap/AS combo. What is the scent?

Thanks! I really like the scent of the soap but the scent of the AS is amazing. The scent to me feels like going back to Machu Picchu. According to the sent profile it’s like taking a whiff of black copal. But what I really liked about this soap was definitely the CK-6 formula. Definitely gave a lot of slickness to the shave which I liked a lot. The AS is amazing. The scent is a lot stronger and my wife loves it. I use it as a cologne as well. Lol

Back