The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello guys I’m new in this forum but having really hard time with my shaves. Please help

Great. If you do it this way for a while, that will also help your skin get used to it so you can shave daily. THe less stubble you have the easier it wil be to shave. Shaving every few days with coarse stubble can be rough. Knocking down the stubble first, will help you get the feel of the blade and how it should be, without the blade getting caught on your stubble. It'll help you get the hange of it, and eventually you'll be able to remove the electric from the process.

For sure! I’m finally excited to shave!! Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooo got my Rockwell 6S today and think I got a little to excited and comfortable with that razor. Felt a lot more stinging with the alum block after. And chin and mustache area not as clean as the last shave. I do admit I used a #3 plate for the neck and cheeks and decided to go with a #2 plate for the mustache and chin. I think because of that, and since it’s my first time using that razor, I wasn’t able to shave as clean and definitely felt a lot of stinging in that area. Had to probably go WTG tree times and some type of XTG once in the chin and mustache area. Probably should kept the #3 plate the whole shave and just go 1 WTG pass.

Either way, hoping I don’t get any razor burn or bumps but I doubt it. Face is still stinging a little so pretty sure I’m going to get it.

Hoping for better shaves next time.

Happy shaves guys

46c318f18a8768a405bb7076a306215f.jpg

Glad you got to shave with the new razor! I agree with you, you should probably stick with plate #3. Try not to change anything else for a while, just work on the shave.

Been reading along and haven't said anything as you have had some great advice. All I will say is keep the handle end up. If you let it drop you will scrape and not shave.

So I had another shave today and unfortunately it was a really bad shave. Second shave with this voskhod blade. Plate on #3. And had a lot of nicks. So many that right now it looks like I’m going trough puberty today. I really tried the handle at 30 degrees and if I lift it any more the blade would just not cut. Made sure the razor took the soap off without scraping but at the end I ended up with a lot a lot of red nicks.

I’m gonna have to let my face heal and then maybe start with plate #1 with a personna blade and see how it goes. For some reason with the voskhod it hasn’t given me a smooth shave with the 6S razor. Have shave 4 times with two different voskhod blades but just not feeling it.

Just keeping you guys updated. My mission, even if it takes me a year, is to end up shaving smoothly and a clean DFS.

Happy shaves guys

Since you are having such a hard time with your shaves it might be a good idea to use Plate 1. It is super mild, and should cut down on your irritation. But continue to pre-shave with your electric... that will make the DE shave easier and allow you to feel what it should feel like. Based on your pics, it doesn't look like you are. Shave with your electric and take all the stubble down. In your post DE shave pic, you still have tons of stubble.... your elec should have taken that down first.

And I hate to have you change more things right now, but if you are really not liking the Voskhod, then get a different blade.

Since you are having such a hard time with your shaves it might be a good idea to use Plate 1. It is super mild, and should cut down on your irritation. But continue to pre-shave with your electric... that will make the DE shave easier and allow you to feel what it should feel like. Based on your pics, it doesn't look like you are. Shave with your electric and take all the stubble down. In your post DE shave pic, you still have tons of stubble.... your elec should have taken that down first.

And I hate to have you change more things right now, but if you are really not liking the Voskhod, then get a different blade.

Thanks spider. Do you think a Plate 1 and a feather should do the trick?

Thanks spider. Do you think a Plate 1 and a feather should do the trick?
Hard to say. Feathers are very sharp. And they usually do well in a mild razor, like a Tech. That's a great combo. But what I'd like to see you do is pick a blade that works for you, and stick with it until you get the rest of the stuff sorted out. And if you are changing plates and trying different razors, the feather might not be a good choice in some configurations for you.

Hard to say. Feathers are very sharp. And they usually do well in a mild razor, like a Tech. That's a great combo. But what I'd like to see you do is pick a blade that works for you, and stick with it until you get the rest of the stuff sorted out. And if you are changing plates and trying different razors, the feather might not be a good choice in some configurations for you.

Definitely understand. But I figured since my technique is still pretty bad, I should probably start with Plate 1 of the Rockwell and go from there. I just don’t know what blade to use. I figured a sharp blade since plate 1 is pretty mild and my hair is pretty thick. Or may be a less aggressive one like a polsilver o personna?

Definitely understand. But I figured since my technique is still pretty bad, I should probably start with Plate 1 of the Rockwell and go from there. I just don’t know what blade to use. I figured a sharp blade since plate 1 is pretty mild and my hair is pretty thick. Or may be a less aggressive one like a polsilver o personna?
Really, you just need to pick one and try it out. There's no way we can say what blade is going to work for you.

Really, you just need to pick one and try it out. There's no way we can say what blade is going to work for you.

Completely understand. Just wanted to make sure the Plate 1 with a sharp blade “and” my poor technique was a good choice haha

Personally, I'd never recommend a feather for a beginner shaver.....

Ok then going with a polsilver or personna blade that went also kinda well for me with my tech but felt were pretty sharp.

I still haven’t tried a feather at all because of its sharpness.

What we are trying to accomplish is to get you on a mild hardware platform, then work on your skills. If we change-up too much, we’ll have a hard time sorting out hardware issues from software issues. It’s like golf. Run with what ya brung until the stroke is clean. Put a polsilver in your tech and we can help you work on your stroke.

What we are trying to accomplish is to get you on a mild hardware platform, then work on your skills. If we change-up too much, we’ll have a hard time sorting out hardware issues from software issues. It’s like golf. Run with what ya brung until the stroke is clean. Put a polsilver in your tech and we can help you work on your stroke.

Thanks for your suggestion Majorrich. Definitely understand what you’re saying but I personally want to get better with the technique using my Rockwell 6S razor.

That’s why I’m thinking of using Plate 1 with a Polsilver or personna blade. I think like this, my mistakes won’t hurt so much just yet until I get the technique down?

Aww man, just went to watch your video and it looks like it’s gone. Did you remove it?

From your pics it looks like the problem is you have just too much darn hair. Have you thought of laser hair removal?

Hello guys! Just wanted to keep you update and say today has been my first shave that it’s been pleasant!!! With no tugging, no pulling, no irritation!

Now I see why so many of you enjoy wet shaving so much. This was awesome.

Tried two different things today.
1. Decided to use Nivea sensitive shaving cream instead of tabac soap.
2. Personna lab blue blade
3. Plate 1.

I know it’s not a BBS but a nice comfortable shave and close enough. Going to keep with this plate and blade until my technique gets a lot better and will change to plate 2, eventually going to plate 4 I believe.

Thanks guys for all your help! Specially spider for the videos.

Perfection!

Hello guys! Just wanted to keep you update and say today has been my first shave that it’s been pleasant!!! With no tugging, no pulling, no irritation!

Now I see why so many of you enjoy wet shaving so much. This was awesome.

Tried two different things today.
1. Decided to use Nivea sensitive shaving cream instead of tabac soap.
2. Personna lab blue blade
3. Plate 1.

I know it’s not a BBS but a nice comfortable shave and close enough. Going to keep with this plate and blade until my technique gets a lot better and will change to plate 2, eventually going to plate 4 I believe.

Thanks guys for all your help! Specially spider for the videos.

Perfection!

Back