The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Graydog

I spend your money so I don't have to LOL
The C.E.C Creed
" I am an agent of the Central Enablement Center"
"I Shall do my duty to enable the wetshaving world"
" I will promote the 3 P's of Enablement; Product, Promotion, Procurement
" I will spend the money of others, so we dont have to"
:cool:

I remember that maple from the first time you posted it. Still chipping away at it huh? Kinda like Johnny Cash, but in reverse.... one piece at a time, or shall we say, one brush at a time! That tree should be gone in about 1000 years! Lol.

Graydog/Steve has been known to produce a few good things here and there...
View attachment 25420
The Viper on the right is now just over 3 years old and performs as admirably as day-1. The middle four(4) were part of a "spreading the love" PIF designed to give a quad of Canadians some of his work. Along with the Viper, I have the Smoggy-Doggy (on the left)which now sports an Omega silvertip.
Sam here is your Viper before it was your Viper , baby pictures😋20170502_183454.jpg

The Grain is amazing in most Cocobolo.
Crazy beautiful grain, but also the colors. Seems like a huge variety in just that single piece. Did you do anything to coax out the color variants or is it just that naturally?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Crazy beautiful grain, but also the colors. Seems like a huge variety in just that single piece. Did you do anything to coax out the color variants or is it just that naturally?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The first picture is made of 2 piece that I changed the direction of the grain

Amazing work @Graydog (Steve) and those are some beautiful pictures. What “tricks” do you use to polish and waterproof your handles ? Do you sign or somehow brand your brushes on the base ? Curious minds are wondering.

Amazing work @Graydog (Steve) and those are some beautiful pictures. What “tricks” do you use to polish and waterproof your handles ? Do you sign or somehow brand your brushes on the base ? Curious minds are wondering.

Good morning AJ,
Thank you for the kind words :)
I use CA (Cyanoacrylates ) as a finish.
I apply 10 to 12 thin coats wet sanding in between each coat as needed.
It creates a barrier to protect the wood from water and it stabilizes it at the same time. I then buff and polish.
At this time I do not have a coin or signature on My work.

Beautiful work Steve and I’m glad you decided to be a hobbyist on here. This is an awesome site and I’m sure you’ll get a lot of support from the members as I have! Congrats!

Got one box packed up for you, and one for @Smattayu

Have some slabs of red Santos mahogany about 15/16ish thick. Very dense stuff. More-so than regular mahogany, but unfortunately no blocks of it.

20200531_195135_resized.jpg

All the blocks following are roughly 2 and 1/2 inches square by 6 inches long.

Some regular mahogany.

20200531_195036_resized.jpg

Regular maple.

20200531_195031_resized.jpg

some pieces of maple with some nice speckling to them.

20200531_195041_resized.jpg

Some spalted maple.

20200531_195045_resized.jpg

And some black walnut.

20200531_195117_resized.jpg

That's all I could fit in the boxes. I just need to get them taped up and to the PO.

Got one box packed up for you, and one for @Smattayu

Have some slabs of red Santos mahogany about 15/16ish thick. Very dense stuff. More-so than regular mahogany, but unfortunately no blocks of it.

View attachment 25625

All the blocks following are roughly 2 and 1/2 inches square by 6 inches long.

Some regular mahogany.

View attachment 25626

Regular maple.

View attachment 25627

some pieces of maple with some nice speckling to them.

View attachment 25628

Some spalted maple.

View attachment 25629

And some black walnut.

View attachment 25630

That's all I could fit in the boxes. I just need to get them taped up and to the PO.
Too much wood, not enough metal.....

Back