The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Gauging Interest in a Weight Loss Challenge.

Regardless if there's a contest this thread is full of great information!
Yup! It's hard to beat the collective knowledge and experiences here. Many of us have already had a journey or two in this area and there are some here that have professional knowledge. Plus with the non-judgmental attitude this crew has...I am excited to see what we all can do to get healthier!

My wife and I recently (3 weeks in) took up indoor cycling through a low tech spin bike and the Peloton app. My wife wants her baby weight gone and I'd like to shed the 10 pounds from 2020 to get back to my college fighting weight I had made it back to previous to Covid. We both have really enjoyed the high intensity and variety the virtual classes have brought so far. I've never been someone who loved cardio, but this has been able to change that and I'm looking forward to getting back into the best shape I've been in since high school. Having a child really changes the perspective on life longevity, doesn't it?!

I don't have much weight to shed but look forward to following along with you all!

Like some of you I have gained weight in 2020. Prior to work at home full-time I had access to a full gym at work and was down over 100 pounds and went from a 42 waist down to a 34! All that over 2 years. Sadly this year I am up 30 pounds but what really sucks is the inches I put back on. Back to a 38 waist. My employer offers the gym for free and will pay your Weight Watchers membership. I know I know thats for women right? Wrong! This isn't your grandma's weight watchers anymore the plan has completely changed and is very user friendly and it works at least for me. Honestly if my employer stopped paying for it, I would gladly pay for it. It's option to look into because what I like about it, it's a lifestyle change, I just stopped living it. So back on the wagon!

If anyone has questions about weight watchers I'll gladly answer them via PM or here.

Having a child really changes the perspective on life longevity, doesn't it?!
This is something that I began thinking about before Danger Baby was delivered to the world. I was thinking the age gap between my daughter and myself (I turn 48 soon and she is but 2 months). I started to think about things like if I would ever see grand kids...how am I going to keep up with Danger Baby...am I going to end up with some kind of debilitating disease while she is still young. All of these things and more went through my mind. Luckily for me, in 2018 I began a journey to get me healthier. I am currently on a break (man pregnancy can really take a toll on a diet plan), but becasue I have been thinking about these things...I have some tools to get me going again.
I don't have much weight to shed but look forward to following along with you all!
Hey...it's not just about weight...but getting and/or staying healthy. Find your path and keep it going!

This is something that I began thinking about before Danger Baby was delivered to the world. I was thinking the age gap between my daughter and myself (I turn 48 soon and she is but 2 months). I started to think about things like if I would ever see grand kids...how am I going to keep up with Danger Baby...am I going to end up with some kind of debilitating disease while she is still young. All of these things and more went through my mind. Luckily for me, in 2018 I began a journey to get me healthier. I am currently on a break (man pregnancy can really take a toll on a diet plan), but becasue I have been thinking about these things...I have some tools to get me going again.

It was the same for me as well, but really didn't hit until after he was born in May. Then I suddenly had an epiphany that while I've kept a fairly clean diet, I haven't been particularly active in over a decade and sitting in front of a computer for 50+ hours a week isn't doing my body any favors either. Eliminate the 40 minutes of walking I got to and from the train station each day as a result of full time WFH, and what physical activities I had decreased even further. There's a history of heart disease on both my mother's and father's side as well, so it's high time I got my ass in gear!

Hey...it's not just about weight...but getting and/or staying healthy. Find your path and keep it going!

100% agreed! Although since the thread appeared to be specifically around weight loss, I figured it's more about the getting and staying healthy for me personally so I wouldn't be participating in any contests or whatnot.

Calories
By far the most important factor in weight loss is simply consuming fewer calories.
@HMan, Lots of good info in your post, thanks for posting that. I understand what you were trying to say here. However, I respectfully disagree with the first point you make. I would put that in the number 2 spot. To me the absolute single most important factor, especially with those folks who have a lot of weight to lose (100+LBS.) is the mental aspect. It is critical to change your mindset otherwise all the good intentions and plans will not hold up. I believe this is the most often overlooked/ignored aspect of weight loss. I have no training or education in weight loss so all this is just my opinion gathered through my weight loss journey around 14-15 years ago when I lost 160 lbs.

Maintenance
This might be one of the hardest lessons to learn. When your reduced calorie diet is over, that doesn't mean you go back to where you were before the diet.
I agree with you 110% on this point. This was the hardest part for me and ultimately where I failed. For me, losing the weight was simple (not easy, there is a difference), less calories and more activity everyday. When I finished losing the weight I intentionally and slowly put back on about 15lbs because I just felt better and much stronger at that weight. I managed to keep it off for a couple years before starting to slowly slide back into some bad habits. 10 or so years later and unfortunately I have put back on 90% of the weight.

Anyway, good luck to all and for those folks who have a lot to lose please make sure you find a source of support. It can be family, friends, other people losing weight, a weight loss forum, or the Cadre, but please find people to talk to about your weight loss journey, as you will most likely need the mental support throughout the process.

So for a little motivation I thought I would post a couple of my before and after shots from years ago.

1607979862200.png1607979824372.png

1607979945706.png 1607979961280.png

And finally this one is me being greeted at the finish line of a Sprint distance Triathlon by my daughter, cousin, and Dad.
1607980616688.png

Last edited:
@HMan, Lots of good info in your post, thanks for posting that. I understand what you were trying to say here. However, I respectfully disagree with the first point you make. I would put that in the number 2 spot. To me the absolute single most important factor, especially with those folks who have a lot of weight to lose (100+LBS.) is the mental aspect. It is critical to change your mindset otherwise all the good intentions and plans will not hold up. I believe this is the most often overlooked/ignored aspect of weight loss. I have no training or education in weight loss so all this is just my opinion gathered through my weight loss journey around 14-15 years ago when I lost 160 lbs.

I agree with you 110% on this point. This was the hardest part for me and ultimately where I failed. For me, losing the weight was simple (not easy, there is a difference), less calories and more activity everyday. When I finished losing the weight I intentionally and slowly put back on about 15lbs because I just felt better and much stronger at that weight. I managed to keep it off for a couple years before starting to slowly slide back into some bad habits. 10 or so years later and unfortunately I have put back on 90% of the weight.

Anyway, good luck to all and for those folks who have a lot to lose please make sure you find a source of support. It can be family, friends, other people losing weight, a weight loss forum, or the Cadre, but please find people to talk to about your weight loss journey, as you will most likely need the mental support throughout the process.

So for a little motivation I thought I would post a couple of my before and after shots from years ago.

View attachment 42516View attachment 42515

View attachment 42517 View attachment 42518
I’m speechless.

Yup, lifestyle changes are the key... somethings gotta give.

i’ve watched my weight plateau 3 times in the last 9 months, most of it in latter half. Thats hard as it feels demotivating. There are so many plans, thoughts, etc but maintenance requires a lifestyle change.

i have friends on keto, intermittent fasting, i have a hard time with those as far as full on lifestyle change.

i dont know how people feel about the next things, but i enjoyed watching, learning some and even reading the debunking but “fat sick and nearly dead”, “forks over knives” were interesting documentaries on YouTube and netflix. I dont advocate for or against either but its food for thought.

I’ve had experience cold/slow press juicing (not blending) “fast” for many months straight so i can answer some questions on that if anyone wants and i have used some nice phone apps to supplement health awareness (activity and even snoring) but in the end its got to be building a lifestyle change.

View attachment 42516View attachment 42515

View attachment 42517 View attachment 42518

And finally this one is me being greeted at the finish line of a Sprint distance Triathlon by my daughter, cousin, and Dad.
View attachment 42519
Hey...I'm on round two of loosing weight, it's been a little harder this time around, but I know you can do it. Last time I lost about 50 lbs in a little over a year and this time around I'm running about 40 down. I'll get back to 50 down, if not more. You got this.

I'm happy to report that I have donations from 6 vendors so far. So we definitely have enough prizes to get this going! I'm hoping to hear back from a couple more soon, to get this finalized. My goal is to get the official sign-up thread with rules posted early next week, and give everyone a couple weeks to sign up before Jan 1st.

Here is who is on board with us already:

CBL Soap @CBLSoap.com
Stirling Soap Co - @Joe Hackett
ETHOS Grooming Essentials - @Dragonsbeard
Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations - @LNHC
Mystic Water Soap - @Mystic Water
Victory Shaving Company - @Victory~Dale

Thanks Vendors! Your participation is greatly appreciated!

I'll be doing the anti-weight loss challenge here in upside-down world. I've dropped 4 lbs since the start of December, so my goal is to add some weight in 2021, but it will be via toning and muscle, not belly jelly.

my goal is to add some weight in 2021, but it will be via toning and muscle
Good luck! I'll be adding strength training to my routine too, so I know I'll be adding muscle weight while I lose fat weight, so if I don't do super great on the scale I'm ok with that.

Back