The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Gauging Interest in a Weight Loss Challenge.

So true. My exercise regimen of twenty miles walking per week consists of daily visits to the butcher, bakery, and produce store. I also use a PO Box forcing me to walk to pick up my mail. Five mile average per day like the hunters and gatherers of old. Everything is hauled in a canvas ditty bag.
I love it! Honestly I am not sure if you are serious, joking, or a combination of both...but I am so into "primal" movements or functional exercising. Things that make me strong and healthy by doing motions that I already do on a daily basis.

People don't realize how healthy they can get just by walking more. Seriously...take some stairs sometimes. Park way out yonder when going to the store. Just get up and move from that desk. Hunter Gatherer societies in the Paleolithic or like eras didn't run marathons everyday...they had mostly walked with some sprinting intermingled.

I love it! Honestly I am not sure if you are serious, joking, or a combination of both...but I am so into "primal" movements or functional exercising. Things that make me strong and healthy by doing motions that I already do on a daily basis.

People don't realize how healthy they can get just by walking more. Seriously...take some stairs sometimes. Park way out yonder when going to the store. Just get up and move from that desk. Hunter Gatherer societies in the Paleolithic or like eras didn't run marathons everyday...they had mostly walked with some sprinting intermingled.
Straight up my daily routine in retirement. No jive. I sold my car. Every now and then I flee from an escaped mental patient. I am totally serious.

And I might add, “real food” requires decent financial resources. Which is a shame.
I agree and I disagree. Sure...real food is more expensive...but I found that when I was eating meat and vegetables (and not skimping on the good fats), I was eating much less. Eat real food in my opinion amounts to eating less. Processed foods tend to have sugars and refined flour in them that makes you want to eat more. Grab a steak or a chicken breast...you are not eating a whole box of those, if they came in boxes (okay...maybe I would...but I am special...que the jokes).

I agree and I disagree. Sure...real food is more expensive...but I found that when I was eating meat and vegetables (and not skimping on the good fats), I was eating much less. Eat real food in my opinion amounts to eating less. Processed foods tend to have sugars and refined flour in them that makes you want to eat more. Grab a steak or a chicken breast...you are not eating a whole box of those, if they came in boxes (okay...maybe I would...but I am special...que the jokes).
Agree. But I have gone organic. Too pricey imho

And I might add, “real food” requires decent financial resources. Which is a shame.
Amen. I saw this first hand shopping with my patients. SO sad. And actually unnecessary, if our government gave the resources to the right places first. We are seeing this in our community Farmer's Market ie: free coupons for fresh food from our DHS.

Thanks everyone! It looks like there’s enough interest to get this going. I’ll look at it again and make a decision tomorrow.

So what are your initial thoughts... 4 months? 6 months? Longer????
Honestly, I would say do it for as long as people still want to participate. The real prize here is getting healthy. Here is my experience...

30 Days - just getting started, might see some results.

60 Days - might see some good stuff and get really excited about your new lifestyle

Three months - realizing that what you are doing just might actually be sustainable and seeing continued results

Four Months - the big leaps and bounds are slowing down but still heading in a positive direction

Six months - begin to hit a plateau and have to decide if maintenance is the oath you want to take, or if you want to make adjustments and continue dow your journey.

If you are asking if I think this should be a four or six month "challenge," then I vote for six month. End of June/beginning of July is when I'll be going back to the doc and get blood work done.

But I also understand if you want to do a shorter time so people don't feel overwhelmed.

Back