The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Fryin' dem turkeys

Thanks for the tips! I'm planning to smoke the bird as well. My main concern is getting crispy skin. I've smoked some whole chickens at ~225-250* and while the meat is very juicy, the skin is kind of rubbery. I'm wondering if the temp increase that @Cvargo mentioned or an overall higher temp is necessary to crisp it up?

Also, anyone tried spatchcocking a turkey? Ya ya, that's a funny word 🤪 Obviously it defeats the presentation of a "whole bird," but from what I've read it does wonders for the speed and evenness of the cook.

Thanks for the tips! I'm planning to smoke the bird as well. My main concern is getting crispy skin. I've smoked some whole chickens at ~225-250* and while the meat is very juicy, the skin is kind of rubbery. I'm wondering if the temp increase that @Cvargo mentioned or an overall higher temp is necessary to crisp it up?

Also, anyone tried spatchcocking a turkey? Ya ya, that's a funny word 🤪 Obviously it defeats the presentation of a "whole bird," but from what I've read it does wonders for the speed and evenness of the cook.
I have spatchcocked a couple Turkeys and some chickens. It reduces the empty space in the middle and allows for more even cooking. As far as the skin, I have had great results buy getting butter under the skin as well as on top with whatever herbs and seasonings you like mixed in. Just be sure to dry the bird off some before doing that so the butter sticks to it and does slide off.

Back