The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Fryin' dem turkeys

I hope so...I will tell them that it is a delicious way to eat a fowl!

They would be "fowl" if they are infected.
1f602.png

All I know is if you're roasting and didn't brine, your gravy better be good.

I have never fried a Turkey but I have smoked them a few times and it is the absolute best I have ever eaten.

I've smoked with a few turkeys, but that's a different thing.

Smoked turkey is great...a little tough to get lit but worth the effort!

One downside to fried turkey is the lack of drippings and the ability to stuff the turkey. I am not a big fan of stuffing from the bird so I don't miss that and I find the gravy packet included with the cheap turkey to be plenty good.

We started frying because we never had room in the oven for all the things we wanted to cook. My parents have a couple table top roasters that do an awesome job of roasting but even then I need counter space to use one. Frying takes 45-60 min to heat the oil and about an hour to cook. If you don't go crazy with the volume of oil and you have a decent heat source you really don't have to do much monitoring ...but I usually use the hot oil as an excuse to hang out outside, sometime with my choice of beverage.

My dad always thinks he's going to get some crispy skin to much on but the reality is there isn't much crispy skin to be found.

Resurrecting this thread because, well, ‘tis the season! I’m handling the turkey this year for Thanksgiving. Question for the collective wisdom of the Cadre: dry or wet brine? Go!

Resurrecting this thread because, well, ‘tis the season! I’m handling the turkey this year for Thanksgiving. Question for the collective wisdom of the Cadre: dry or wet brine? Go!
Honey spiral ham...the end.

Wet brine. And smoke the bird

I'm going to give another thumbs up to frying turkey. A friend of mine turned us onto it. So I went out and bought a turkey frying "kit". It was essentially a cast iron stand, sort of like a plant stand, with a built in burner and a line to hook up a propane tank. It came with a very large and deep pot with a lid that has a hole in it to stick a thermometer, the thermometer of course, an injector and some instructions. The secret to a moist and totally oil free turkey inside is to make sure the oil is hot enough before you stick the turkey in there. Once it's hot enough, you lower the turkey very slowly into the oil. You go slow because the oil will boil over if you go fast. As the oil comes in contact with the skin and outside of the turkey it sears it, locking in the natural juices and keeping out the oil. We had some amazing turkeys with that thing. You do have do it outside because of the fire hazard. But it's worth it. That said, my wife was able to nail the process of making an amazing turkey in the oven. I am not a big turkey fan and hers is to die for. And I'll even say it's better than fried, by just a bit. The thing is it's not just for turkey. I also comes with a metal basket which I use to fry chicken wings when I have a hankering for Buffalo Wings. That fryer and my Anchor Bar sauce recipe and I can easily imagine being back in Buffalo. It's actually a nice city. A little depressed but still nice. And as others have said, you can fry all sorts of things. Chicken fried steak. Anything really. And you reuse the oil, storing it in the original container minus the sludge from the last operation. Sadly, I haven't used mine in a while. Gonna have to change that. I think I'm overdue for Buffalo Wings.

Wet!

Wet brine. And smoke the bird
Glad you brought that up. I have my new vertical smoker all ready to go and I need YOUR turkey smok’n expertise to. Are sure I get r done right. Care to give us a tutorial? I read something that had me smoking it for 6 hours at like 275 and calling it done...sounds like a trip to the ER for a whole dinner party to me.

Glad you brought that up. I have my new vertical smoker all ready to go and I need YOUR turkey smok’n expertise to. Are sure I get r done right. Care to give us a tutorial? I read something that had me smoking it for 6 hours at like 275 and calling it done...sounds like a trip to the ER for a whole dinner party to me.

Birds do cook fast but that seems a little too fast. Do your favorite brine, stick to fruit woods like cherry or apple, I also add a little pecan. My temp is about 225. And expect 40 min per pound give it take if going for a full smoke cook. If using an electric smoker, after the first 3 hours, I make a foil lid and vent it. Then up the temp to 350, and that way bird is done quicker and ready for an early dinner, if you do this method you still get yummy skin and the smoke ring has already taken place. For poultry no need for a full smoke cook like pork or beef. My opinion of course.

Also something a lot of people mess up is only cook the bird to about 155-160. Let the last few degrees happen while it's resting, to get you to 165

Birds do cook fast but that seems a little too fast. Do your favorite brine, stick to fruit woods like cherry or apple, I also add a little pecan. My temp is about 225. And expect 40 min per pound give it take if going for a full smoke cook. If using an electric smoker, after the first 3 hours, I make a foil lid and vent it. Then up the temp to 350, and that way bird is done quicker and ready for an early dinner, if you do this method you still get yummy skin and the smoke ring has already taken place. For poultry no need for a full smoke cook like pork or beef. My opinion of course.
I never upped my temp fo speed things along but otherwise same process I used, although I will add that mesquite smoked Turkey is pretty bomb too!

Back