The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Fryin' dem turkeys

NurseDave

“Stefan’s Glitterbomb King”
Legacy
First Responder
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
The whole frying turkey thing has always been discussed tongue in cheek in our house because we're really not outdoor cooking people and pretty traditional when it comes to meals like that. But we do always hear anyone that's had a fried turkey talk about how moist it is. I've started looking into the whole thing and one thing I didn't realize was the expense of the peanut oil. So when you get done with frying your one turkey, does anyone save that stuff for another day or is it one use and gone?

Looking at going the sissy way of an electric turkey fryer.

For my ten year work anniversary I was gifted a oil less turkey fryer. Have used it last two years now! So good, and you still get the crispy skin and no risk of oil fires!

For my ten year work anniversary I was gifted a oil less turkey fryer. Have used it last two years now! So good, and you still get the crispy skin and no risk of oil fires!
I noticed those when I was searching for fryers. I was skeptical because they don't have the oil in contact with the skin which I thought was the whole idea of getting it crispy and staying moist.

A follow-up question would be, do you still brine a turkey you're going to fry?

You could always put the oil in a quench tank afterwards and get to smell turkey every time you quench a blade.
1f602.png

I fry every year. You have a couple of options with the oil. The first is to cover the fry bucket with wax paper and foil then clamp the lid on, put it in a cool part of the garage and use it again for Christmas (fried prime rib is da bomb). Or you let it cool then carefully pour the oil back into the comtainer(s) the oil came from. If you are careful to not get all the sludge into the clean container the oil will last until the next year. If you get a little sludge it will still keep as long as you store it in a cool spot in the garage tightly capped. ...you could always make soap with it! The last option is to pour it back into the containers then use the peanut oil to cook or fry with in the kitchen.

the peanut oil is a bit expensive but you can get a cheaper “fry” oil to keep costs lower.

If you brine you really need to let the bird air dry and drain well before frying. The guides all say not to use a brined bird like butterball if you are deep fat frying. Then again, butterball sells a countertop turkey fryer. Truth is, I cut all the extra fat and skin back, salt the thing inside and out, let it air dry a an hour or two then fry baby fry.

Do you know if the brining is a safety thing because of increased moisture or the bird will hold onto more of the salt and it will taste salty?

I usually fry a turkey for Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is the first year in a long time I haven't. Here are some of the things I have learned...

Get peanut oil...spend the extra money for peanut oil...the others that are blends do not work as well.

I use my peanut oil for Thanksgiving and Christmas...but you will have to buy a couple small bottles of peanut oil to replenish what you lost. When finished...dispose of the rest.

I do brine on occasion. If you do...wash, wash, wash you Turkey then pay dry with paper towels. I usually marinate my turkeys overnight with Italian dressing and inject with garlic butter. If you do this, you will need to slowly lower the turkey into the oil.

Save yourself all the hassle and mess and get an IR or oiless fryer. Just make sure it's a propane one and not an electric on. The propane ones work so much better. Any way...these ones fries a turkey just as good or maybe better than an oil fryer.

Save yourself all the hassle and mess and get an IR or oiless fryer. Just make sure it's a propane one and not an electric on. The propane ones work so much better. Any way...these ones fries a turkey just as good or maybe better than an oil fryer.
Been reading a lot of reviews and watching videos. I do think this might be the way to go. I like the speed of the oil, but not the hassle of getting rid of it and the expense.

I despise fried turkey! Baked or nothing at my house and then only if I cook it so it isn’t dry as the Sahara.

I despise fried turkey! Baked or nothing at my house and then only if I cook it so it isn’t dry as the Sahara.

I have only had one baked turkey in all my life that wasn't dryer than my grandpa's farts. That being said...fried Turkey has a different flavor to it. I can see why someone might not like a fried turkey. In my opinion...the best turkey I have ever had was smoked.

Do you know if the brining is a safety thing because of increased moisture or the bird will hold onto more of the salt and it will taste salty?
i think it’s pure safety concern. I have infected my bird with butter and I’ve used ones that have been injected prior to purchase and have had no issues. You want to keep the size of the turkey under 24# (if using a larger fryer like I have) and measure your oil so you don’t get any over flow. You can run hot (350-375) but I find a slightly lower temp yields a better finish. I will heat my oil to 375 then drop a thawed and dried turkey in, the temp will fall to or below 350. If you keep the temp in the 325-350 range you’ll get a decent crisp of the skin and a juicy turkey. I think the key to “safety” is use a little less oil than you think necessary and make sure everything is thawed and dry.

Back