The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Everyone Loves Sumo!!!

1721920695584.png1721920749168.png
The silk strings or "Sumo Belt Cords" inserted into the front of the mawashi for competition. Those of sekitori wrestlers are stiffened with a seaweed-based glue. They are simplified aprons created to symbolize the large aprons that ancient sumo warriors wore, without impeding their movement.

1722008359608.png

The"Shukun-sho"is one of three special prizes awarded to wrestlers for performance in a honbasho. This award is given to the sumotori who has done well enough to almost get yusho (win the tournament), or who has beaten the winner of the tournament (or the yokozuna). Also lower ranked wrestlers, who have not even met the yokozuna or even an ozeki, can get shukun-sho if they perform exceptionally well.

Meaning 'horizontal rope'. "The top rank in sumo", usually translated 'Grand Champion'. The name comes from the rope he wears for the dohyō-iri (ring entering ceremony).

"Below the curtain". The third highest division of sumo wrestlers, below jūryō and above sandanme. Originally the division right below makuuchi, explaining its name, before jūryō was split off from it to become the new second highest division.

1722284451510.png

Both the top two gyōji carry "a dagger" visible in the left side of the belt of the outfit. This is supposed to represent the seriousness of the decisions they must make in determining the outcome of a bout, and a symbolic preparedness to commit seppuku if they make a mistake.

I'm sad to see Takakeishō loose the Ozeki rank, he has had an illustrious 5 year+ career at the rank. I'm hopeful that he can post double digit wins this next tournament, so he can regain the rank, but with his injuries it is doubtful.

Cheers!

I’m doubtful if the Yokozuna will return for the next tournament. It sounds like he’s having trouble with his knee again.

Dude! Where were you last tournament?? Missed your analysis.
Struggling to keep up, Nathan was in 3 sports, been helping out at another worm farm, trying to do 75 hard. Not a good excuse to be absent, but I was. I’m back now! I’m ready for the next one.

I just finished watching the last tournament 😂

Struggling to keep up, Nathan was in 3 sports, been helping out at another worm farm, trying to do 75 hard. Not a good excuse to be absent, but I was. I’m back now! I’m ready for the next one.

I just finished watching the last tournament 😂
I didn't eve manage to start watching till it was all over this time. And thanks NHK for always putting a spoiler in your thumbnails!

Alas! Boobie Boy and Battle Hamster in one swoop! I am beside myself with grief.

IMG_9025.gif

none of these actually surprised me. Age and injury take them from us. I thought Takekeisho might explode like a tick at any moment.

Back