The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

ETHOS Grooming Essentials

I just received my order today of the new ETHOS line of Shaving Care Products. You won’t see me posting very often on soaps and aftershave because I have Asthma so a lot of artisan soaps bother my skin or trigger my Asthma. I loaded up an almond size dollop of the Pineapple Noir into my CC copper bowl with a plastic scoop provided in the box. This is a very thirsty soap but lathered easily and nearly overflowed my bowl. The scent to me is a 7/10 strength with an initial pineapple scent which then explodes into a wonderful smell that I can’t describe, maybe some Aventus Creed?
Lather was shiny, light and protective with excellent glide and post residual slickness. It left my face feeling very soft without an oily feel. The skin food had the same scent, excellent, and leaves your face feeling smooth, soft but not oily.
The last thing I noticed is it was very easy to clean my gear it rinsed easily out of my brush and razor and didn’t leave that sticky sediment on the blade. Lastly one squirt of the EDP and went straight to my wife for her opinion and got the “You smell great”. Looking forward to trying the rest of the collections.21FECE9B-1690-4B26-85B1-935DF814F743.jpeg

I just received my order today of the new ETHOS line of Shaving Care Products. You won’t see me posting very often on soaps and aftershave because I have Asthma so a lot of artisan soaps bother my skin or trigger my Asthma. I loaded up an almond size dollop of the Pineapple Noir into my CC copper bowl with a plastic scoop provided in the box. This is a very thirsty soap but lathered easily and nearly overflowed my bowl. The scent to me is a 7/10 strength with an initial pineapple scent which then explodes into a wonderful smell that I can’t describe, maybe some Aventus Creed?
Lather was shiny, light and protective with excellent glide and post residual slickness. It left my face feeling very soft without an oily feel. The skin food had the same scent, excellent, and leaves your face feeling smooth, soft but not oily.
The last thing I noticed is it was very easy to clean my gear it rinsed easily out of my brush and razor and didn’t leave that sticky sediment on the blade. Lastly one squirt of the EDP and went straight to my wife for her opinion and got the “You smell great”. Looking forward to trying the rest of the collections.View attachment 20236

Thank you Mark for the excellent review and what a great photo! I’d like to use it on social media if you don’t mind. Also looks like you had some great weather as opposed to my dingy cloudy damp weather I’m getting here.
Yes I’ve found the soap to be very thirsty which I should have mentioned that so you don’t need to Load the brush for long. Glad you like the Pineapple Noir. Yes initial inspiration was the very first batch of Creed Aventus which had the stronger pineapple note but then as I began to play it developed into its own scent. If you smell it side by side to Aventus its very clear they are different but in the same family.

I know your a big Lavender fan so I can’t wait to hear your feedback on that.
😊👍🏼

Tonight I tried the Lavender Supreme. If you are a night shaver like me this is the set for you. The scent is so relaxing and the strength is 6/10. I haven’t smelled lavender this good in a soap ever. The closest if memory serves me well would be the original Art of Shaving lavender before it was reformulated. I started tonight with 3/4 almond size scoop and easily lathered enough for a 3 pass shave plus. This version is also thirsty and provides excellent cushion and glide with excellent residual slickness. The skin food also has a wonderful pure lavender scent and is great at leaving my face feel great without that oily feel.
7F2BEC7A-671F-412C-B0D3-6C1354547CA0.jpeg

Tonight I tried the Lavender Supreme. If you are a night shaver like me this is the set for you. The scent is so relaxing and the strength is 6/10. I haven’t smelled lavender this good in a soap ever. The closest if memory serves me well would be the original Art of Shaving lavender before it was reformulated. I started tonight with 3/4 almond size scoop and easily lathered enough for a 3 pass shave plus. This version is also thirsty and provides excellent cushion and glide with excellent residual slickness. The skin food also has a wonderful pure lavender scent and is great at leaving my face feel great without that oily feel.
View attachment 20328

Mark being a night shaver I had a feeling you'd like this set. Its funny I'm not always a night shaver but when I do I use lavender as well as it is relaxing and I can't go right to bed with a cologne or spicy type scent on. I can do a mild citrus also. In fact you just gave me an idea... Thanks for the nice write up and again and I like the photo a lot!

🙂 👍

View attachment 20328
Good thoughts! Chatillion Lux Lavande Poivre and CBL Grassroots Lavender have really helped me enjoy the scent a lot! Hope to try this one somewhere down the line!

View attachment 20328

That looks like a great shave there. Nice photo also. I hope to try Ethos soon, you probably know which will be my favorite. I agree lavender is great at night. I have Italian lavender bath soap I love using before bed.
Happy shaves
SMURF

Tonight I tried the 3rd new entry in the Ethos line called Clean. It is an unscented soap and skin food. The soap had a very clean mild soap scent and I detected no scent at all with the skin food. The soap again performed marvelously and once again a 3/4 almond scoop lathered into enough soap for a 3 pass shave with enough left over I could have done a couple more passes. @"Dragonsbeard" you have created a marvelous collection IMHO. B7A638DF-0639-4843-9734-F4FE6283E18A.jpeg

Tonight I tried the 3rd new entry in the Ethos line called Clean. It is an unscented soap and skin food. The soap had a very clean mild soap scent and I detected no scent at all with the skin food. The soap again performed marvelously and once again a 3/4 almond scoop lathered into enough soap for a 3 pass shave with enough left over I could have done a couple more passes. @"Dragonsbeard" you have created a marvelous collection IMHO. View attachment 20419
Nice looking razor!

Tonight I did a dual shave off In this thread I will discuss Ethos Lavender soap and Skin food VS. Sebum Purple soap and serum
Razors
Carbon Cx Ti and Paradigm Diamondback
Pre shave Shower
Blade Gillette Platinum 1st use
Brushes Wolf Whisker Synthetic
Bowl Captains Choice Copper
Soap Ethos Lavender vs Sebum Purple
Post shave Thayers Lavender followed by either Ethos Lavender Skin food or Sebum Purple serum
I put an equal amount of soap in the bowl approximately an almond size and started with a squeezed out synthetic WW that had been soaking for about 1 min.
I began lathering the Ethos first and added water as needed then followed with the Sebum and again added water as needed.
I did a 2 pass shave using each soap with both razors.
My findings
Cost:
Sebum Purple soap and AS $190 plus $15 shipping
Ethos Lavender soap and AS $60 plus $5 shipping
Packaging:
Sebum Glass jars with Cork tops
Ethos Plastic Jars with aluminum tops
Ease of lather:
Both soaps were thirsty but the Ethos was easier to whip up a smooth glossy lather
Protection:
Both soaps have excellent protection
Glide:
The slickness and glide was equal between both
Residual slickness:
The Ethos has slightly better residual slickness but both were excellent
Post shave feel:
Both left my skin feeling soft and subtle but the Sebum left my face slightly oily feeling

AS Both products spread easily and left my skin feeling nourished but the Sebum had an oily feel even 10 minutes post application

Scent
The Ethos is a pure Lavender scent that was pleasing and relaxing.
Sebum Purple had a stronger minty scent with just a touch of lavender
Both of these products give a high class shave and offer excellent skin benefits. The Sebum has some classy high end packaging but no one sees it but me.
Ethos is 1/3 the cost and gives me a great shave and post shave skin care without the oily feel, and it offers me a pure Lavender scent that I love. The winner for me is easily Ethos both in performance and cost. It gives me a high end shave experience at 1/3 the cost.
FA5A31AC-BFAA-41B5-B9DE-661EFBEA4631.jpeg

Last edited:
Tonight I did a dual shave off In this thread I will discuss Ethos Lavender soap and Skin food VS. Sebum Purple soap and serum
Razors
Carbon Cx Ti and Paradigm Diamondback
Pre shave Shower
Blade Gillette Platinum 1st use
Brushes Wolf Whisker Synthetic
Bowl Captains Choice Copper
Soap Ethos Lavender vs Sebum Purple
Post shave Thayers Lavender followed by either Ethos Lavender Skin food or Sebum Purple serum
I put an equal amount of soap in the bowl approximately an almond size and started with a squeezed out synthetic WW that had been soaking for about 1 min.
I began lathering the Ethos first and added water as needed then followed with the Sebum and again added water as needed.
I did a 2 pass shave using each soap with both razors.
My findings
Cost:
Sebum Purple soap and AS $190 plus $15 shipping
Ethos Lavender soap and AS $60 plus $5 shipping
Packaging:
Sebum Glass jars with Cork tops
Ethos Plastic Jars with aluminum tops
Ease of lather:
Both soaps were thirsty but the Ethos was easier to whip up a smooth glossy lather
Protection:
Both soaps have excellent protection
Glide:
The slickness and glide was equal between both
Residual slickness:
The Ethos has slightly better residual slickness but both were excellent
Post shave feel:
Both left my skin feeling soft and subtle but the Sebum left my face slightly oily feeling

AS Both products spread easily and left my skin feeling nourished but the Sebum had an oily feel even 10 minutes post application

Scent
The Ethos is a pure Lavender scent that was pleasing and relaxing.
Sebum Purple had a stronger minty scent with just a touch of lavender
Both of these products give a high class shave and offer excellent skin benefits. The Sebum has some classy high end packaging but no one sees it but me.
Ethos is 1/3 the cost and gives me a great shave and post shave skin care without the oily feel, and it offers me a pure Lavender scent that I love. The winner for me is easily Ethos both in performance and cost. It gives me a high end shave experience at 1/3 the cost.
View attachment 20800

Thank you for the detailed review! That’s the first Shave soap Shave Off I’ve ever seen done. I’ve done side by sides when testing my soaps for performance vs some of my favorites but I’ve never posted them up anywhere. I don’t have any Sebum product’s but I can’t say I haven’t wondered what their products and scents are like. I saw a review on their Tonka. Bean set and I love Tonka Bean but it was like $350 and it was sold out. Another set they had was like $700!! Outta my price range for sure. Maybe I need to change my packaging! Lol ... of course just kidding.
Nice photo BTW!

Back