The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Enjoying what you have 2022 Quarter 1

Well, I called it on the Nivea this morning. After waiting 30 seconds not a single drop had come out of the bottle. I was able to get enough balm to use by the catsup method.

I've added a few drops of witch hazel to the bottle to see what that yields tomorrow.

On the up side, it's close enough to spring that I wouldn't replace the balm until next fall anyway even without the restraint.

Just a follow up on the death of the Nivea. After declaring it empty, I added a small amount of witch hazel to the bottle to use up the last remnants. This mixture is actually pretty good.

I can hear the "death rattle," of the "Enjoying what you have(sabbatical)," I started. I can say from a personal perspective, holding off on purchases for three months has highlighted for me the variety within my den, which I have not delved into as much as is possible. I found myself reaching for oldies like Palmolive, Mama Bears, Speick, C&E, TOBS, Proraso, etc etc. I was not chasing the new thing, which at times was frustrating, but enabled me to tunnel deeper into my den and find new favorites. For example, I gave Fitjar Haven another try after a year long hiatus and found it to be an absolutely wonderful soap. I touched on some straight razors that dearly needed some love, which had not seen he light of day for years....

I also struggled mightily against a personal compulsion to peruse my antique stores, auction sites, etc for the next big score. I found it difficult to walk away from rare items, but I know they will pop up again. I know that I need to work personally on hardware reduction in the latter part of the year. I have 100's of restoration projects and many of them are part way finished. They need to be completed and either added back to my den or moved on to some one who will appreciate it. I think moving through the year, consolidation and use of my stockpile will be a must, but I will not hold back 100% on everything. Interesting new releases and extremely rare vintage items are my achilleas heel, but they should not be prohibited completely.

This was a great exercise and it helped me to take stock of what I really enjoy!

I thought you were out Matt? Didn't you post about some acquisitions?
No, I scheduled a Koraat order for about 4 months from now, but no money has changed hands. Though, I'd say that could be counted as a purchase, but to me I'd say no.

I'm not in it to win a prize, so If that puts me out, I'd say I still did pretty well overall. :LOL:

Back