The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Complementary aftershave and fragrance

Today it was Chanel Égoïste Platinum aftershave and Ethos Grooming Mysore Santal EdP. The aftershave top notes are lavender, rosemary, neroli and petitgrain; middle notes are geranium, clary sage, galbanum and jasmine; base notes are oakmoss, vetiver, cedar, sandalwood and amber. So their shared note is the sandalwood.
pEbPWqI.jpg
rtekKy7.jpg

This morning my combination worked very well because of the contrasts rather than any similarity. The Ethos Grooming Lavender Supreme aftershave was dark, 'muddy,' warm, and rich.
NhK2Lyj.jpg

The Trumper Portugal EdT that followed, on the other hand, was bright, fresh, and sparkly.
Top notes orange, lemon, bergamot; middles notes orange blossom and rose; and base note musk.
gJGRfnj.jpg

Today I used vintage Floris No. 89 aftershave. Top notes are lavender, bergamot, orange, neroli, petitgrain and nutmeg; middle notes are rose, geranium and ylang-ylang; base notes are oakmoss, musk, sandalwood, vetiver and Virginia cedar.
Xq7md8G.jpg

This was followed by Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo di Sicilia. Its top notes are green almond, star anise, orange and bergamot; middle notes are white peach, ylang-ylang and jasmine; base notes are Bourbon vanilla, balsam, white musk, and cedar.
mcZ77Vp.jpg

So the shared notes are bergamot, orange, ylang-ylang, musk, and cedar. Enough alike to blend well but enough different to be interesting.

Today's pairing was Hemingway Accoutrements aftershave and vintage Floris Cefero. The aftershave top note is grapefruit; middle notes are bourbon, cedar, and leather; and base notes are amber, sandalwood, tobacco, and vanilla.
AxPR81h.jpg

The Floris top notes are bergamot, lemon, orange, mandarin, and lime; middle notes are jasmine, nutmeg and cardamom; and base notes are sandalwood, cedar, and musk.
ePCY7D2.jpg

So they share a citrus top, cedar, and sandalwood, matching pretty well.

Massively weird but works combo today, Tallow and Steel Morning Coffee in the Canadian Wilderness + Myrsol Aqua Balsamica, made more abstruse with SOTD Le Galion's Cuir.

Today in my rotation it was Calvin Klein Eternity aftershave followed by vintage Trumper Eau de Quinine.
Top notes of the aftershave are lavender, lemon, bergamot, and mandarin orange; middle notes are sage, juniper berries, basil, coriander, geranium, jasmine, orange blossom, lily, and lily-of-the-valley; and base notes are sandalwood, vetiver, musk, Brazilian rosewood, and amber.
sZAExCs.jpg

The Trumper notes are variably described, depending on source, as mandarin or orange peel, lemon, bergamot, rosemary, herbs, gentian, cascia, and bitters (cascaarilla).
wkYGA1u.jpg

They have in common the citrus and herbal notes, and together they blend really well, with the floral notes of the aftershave balancing the bitters of the EdT.

This morning I used vintage C&E Sienna aftershave, followed by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Noir Argent, with shared notes of citrus, spices, leather, and patchouli. They blended pretty well.
In the aftershave, the top notes are citrus; middles notes are greens and spices, including rosemary, basil, and clary sage; and base notes are leather, oakmoss, and patchouli.
EFqN6dm.jpg

The fragrance has top notes of grapefruit, nutmeg, black Pepper and pink Pepper; middle notes of leather, olibanum and saffron; and base notes of myrrh, patchouli, labdanum and vetiver.
BfwvuT6.jpg

Today it was Mennen Skin Bracer followed by Acqua di Parma Mandorlo di Sicilia. Both are powdery and have vanilla and sweet tones, but without specific shared notes otherwise. They worked fairly well together - not great, but OK.
0zxrFWV.jpg
NX2Z2yW.jpg

Today's combination was Brooks Brothers classic aftershave and Trumper Portugal EdT. Top notes of the aftershave are bergamot and citruses; middle notes are basil, jasmine and herbal notes; and base notes are vetiver, sandalwood, and patchouli. The fragrance's top notes are orange, lemon, bergamot; middle notes are orange blossom and rose; and base note is musk. They blended quite well, with the shared citrus notes and the balancing of the aftershave's green-woody base notes by the Portugal's musk.
oWmI6sK.jpg
EVjMOA0.jpg

Today the aftershave was vintage Penhaligon's Lords and the fragrance was a Creed Bois du Portugal clone from Scentville. They matched really well, sharing top and heart notes. The aftershave top notes are bergamot, lemon, basil, and petitgrain; middle notes are lavender and lily-of-the-valley; and base notes are patchouli, geranium, oakmoss, and labdanum.
NecC3Dh.jpg

The fragrance's top note is bergamot; middle note is lavender; and base notes are sandalwood, cedar, vetiver and ambergris.
2VRysV1.jpg

My aftershave today was Guerlain Habit Rouge, which I have come to like a lot, followed by the fragrance Acqua di Parma Mandorlo di Sicilia. They have shared top notes of orange and bergamot, shared middle note jasmine, and shared base note vanilla. Their other notes also blend really well, with the AdP's green almond balance the tartness of the aftershave's citruses, the middle floral notes of each melding with those of the other, and the leather, amber, and oakmoss in the base of the aftershave combining very nicely with the balsam, musk, and cedar of the fragrance.
CFCGQKW.jpg
r6H9mQb.jpg

This morning's shave featured vintage English Leather aftershave. Top notes are bergamot, lemon, lavender, rosemary and orange; middle notes are honey, iris and rose; base notes are leather, musk, cedar, vetiver and tonka bean. This was followed by Calvin Klein Euphoria Amber Gold, with top notes cypress, thyme and bergamot; middle notes honey, sage, jasmine and oregano; base notes are amber, incense, leather and vetiver. They share notes in all three phases, bergamot, honey, leather, and vetiver, and they blended really well.
9HPAR4X.jpg
WurkKgM.jpg

Today's aftershave and fragrance, while not a close match, blended quite well. The aftershave was Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo. Top notes are sea notes and bergamot; middle notes are rosemary, sage and geranium; and base notes are incense and patchouli.
zzUoEro.jpg

The fragrance was a clone of Amouage Epic Man. Top notes are pink pepper, olibanum, saffron, nutmeg, cardamom, caraway, mace and myrtle; middle notes are myrrh and geranium; base notes are agarwood, incense, leather, castoreum, patchouli, cedar, sandalowood, styrax, and musk.
Amouage Epic Man (Scentville).JPG

The shared notes are geranium, incense, and patchouli. The fragrance's spicy top notes balanced the smooth aquatic top notes of the aftershave really well.

Ralph Lauren Safari aftershave, with citruses among its top notes and sandalwood in its base notes, blended beautifully with the following custom Ethos Grooming Mandarin-Mysore Santal EdP. Only a couple more splashes of the aftershave are left, but I'm hoping that I have a backup.
gCI7Q1L.jpg
vqLQKjk.jpg

Fabergé Brut aftershave (vintage) was followed this morning by a Scentville clone of Creed Bois du Portugal. The aftershave top notes are anise, lavender, basil, bergamot, and lemon; middle notes are geranium, ylang-ylang, and jasmine; and base notes are oakmoss, vetive, tonka bean, patchouli, vanilla, and sandalwood. The fragrance's top note is bergamot; its middle note is lavender; and base notes are sandalwood, cedar, vetiver, and ambergris. They worked pretty well together, shared notes of bergamot, vetiver, and sandalwood.

H8CJPCH.jpg
GO9zILv.jpg

This morning I used Dopo Barba di Camaldoli to finish my shave. I don't know its scent notes, but it is light, powdery, and slightly floral, with green melon tones and very slight menthol. This was followed by Ethos Grooming Succès, which is pineapple-forward and a bit sweet. Both of them are very fresh, crisp, and clean, and they worked well together.
3ouceSx.jpg
u8yEIe1.jpg

Today I enjoyed RazoRock XXX aftershave, followed by Acqua di Parma Mandorlo di Sicilia. The XXX has top notes of bergamot, orange, and lemon; its heart notes are lilac, lavender, rose, and basil; and base notes are hay, tonka bean, patchouli, musk, sandalwood, and oakmoss.

Uhuj7if.jpg

The Mandorlo di Sicilia top notes are green almond, star anise, orange and bergamot; middle notes are white peach, ylang-ylang and jasmine; and base notes are Bourbon vanilla, tolu balsam, white musk, and cedar.
ox0co8W.jpg

They share top notes of bergamot and orange, have similar floral heart notes, and have musk and woods in their bases. The complemented each other quite well.

I love AdP as well as the Colonia genre. I haven’t had the opportunity to smell Mandorlo - but it looks to be fantastic!

Back