The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Complementary aftershave and fragrance

Just found another - for my post shower I tried Chicago Grooming Classic Clean which is in the ilk of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme with Chanel Pour Monsieur

Today I used vintage Floris No. 89 aftershave (top notes Lavender, Bergamot, Orange, Neroli, Petitgrain and Nutmeg; middle notes Rose, Geranium and Ylang-Ylang; base notes Oakmoss, Musk, Sandalwood, Vetiver and Virginia Cedar), followed by Acqua di Parma Mandorlo di Sicilia (top notes Green Almond, Star Anise, Orange and Bergamot; middle notes White Peach, Ylang-Ylang and Jasmine; base notes Bourbon Vanilla, Tolu Balsam, White Musk and Cedar), which worked quite well together.

Their shared notes are Orange, Bergamot, Ylang-ylang, Musk, and Cedar. And they both have floral notes.

Myrsol Formula K, basically peppermint, goes with just about anything with a hint of green.

I'm not sure if my first bottle was a old, or it they amped up the latest batch, but not only is it a darker green but much more potent in scent and minty face freeze, I love it. It's packing more punch than Floid Vigaroso now.

Myrsol Formula K, basically peppermint, goes with just about anything with a hint of green.

I'm not sure if my first bottle was a old, or it they amped up the latest batch, but not only is it a darker green but much more potent in scent and minty face freeze, I love it. It's packing more punch than Floid Vigaroso now.
Pairing mint with green notes somehow makes sense to me. Thanks for the thought.

Today I used English Leather aftershave, followed by custom Ethos Grooming Mandarin-Mysore Santal EdP. The aftershave has orange, bergamot, and lemon in its top notes, which matched well with the mandarin. And the Mysore santal note blended nicely with the leather and cedar base notes of the English Leather.

Today I used English Leather aftershave, followed by custom Ethos Grooming Mandarin-Mysore Santal EdP. The aftershave has orange, bergamot, and lemon in its top notes, which matched well with the mandarin. And the Mysore santal note blended nicely with the leather and cedar base notes of the English Leather.
Man, I need to find some English Leather AS. Was always my favorite back in the day.

Penhaligon's Racquets Formula aftershave and then Trumper Eau de Quinine worked pretty well together this morning. They share bergamot and lemon in their top notes, and the musk and amber base notes of the aftershave blended nicely with the herbs and bitters of the toilet water.

This morning I used Ginger's Garden Rose Petal aftershave, followed by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Noir Argent, which also is sweet. Top notes of the Noir Argent are grapefruit, nutmeg, black pepper and pink pepper; middle notes are leather, olibanum and saffron; and base notes are myrrh, patchouli, labdanum and vetiver. The aftershave rose blends well with all of those, but especially well with the grapefruit, black pepper, myrrh, patchouli, and vetiver.

Roger & Gallet l'Homme aftershave and Acqua di Parma Mandorlo di Sicilia balanced each other well today. Both have citrus in their top notes, ylang-ylang in their hearts, and a wood note in the bases.

Brooks Brothers classic aftershave was followed today by Trumper Eau de Portugal. The aftershave top notes are bergamot and citruses; middle notes are basil, jasmine and herbal notes; base notes are sandalwood, vetiver and patchouli. The Portugal, slightly sweeter, has top notes orange, lemon, bergamot; middles note orange blossom and rose; and base note musk. The citrus top notes matched quite well, and the musk blended nicely with the aftershave's base notes.

Armani Acqua di Giò Profumo aftershave. Top notes are sea notes and bergamot; middle notes are rosemary, sage and geranium; base notes are incense and patchouli.

This was followed by Amouage Epic Man (Scentville clone). I have not used the original, so I don't know how faithful to it the clone is.
Top notes are pink pepper, olibanum, saffron, nutmeg, cardamom, caraway, myrtle and mace; middle notes are myrrh and geranium; base notes are agarwood (oud), incense, leather, castoreum, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood, styrax and musk.

They share some heart and base notes but no top notes. But they work quite well together.

Today‘s shave included Murphy & McNeil Irish Cream aftershave with Madison Margiela Replica By the Fireplace - Bring on the cold weather!

This morning my vintage Trumper Portugal complemented the Yardley English Lavender aftershave nicely. Unlike the modern Eau de Portugal, the old version apparently contained a lavender note (as well as ylang-ylang and hay), in addition to the citrus, rose, and musk.
tY7LoMa.jpg
woOdnzl.jpg

Today my aftershave, Chanel Égoïste Platinum, worked really well with my cologne, Art of Shaving Sandalwood & Cypress. Their only shared notes are sandalwood and cedar, but both have citrus and herbs and spices. My wife commented on how good I smelled after using the two.

The Chanel's top notes are lavender, rosemary, neroli and petitgrain; middle notes are geranium, clary Sage, galbanum and jasmine; and base notes are oakmoss, vetiver, cedar, sandalwood and amber.
BGxspzv.jpg

The AoS top notes are bergamot and chamomile; middle notes are cardamom, black Pepper, bay Leaf, pink Pepper and cumin; and base notes are sandalwood, cypress, cedar, guaiac wood, olibanum and styrax.
KP4W7jk.jpg

For Christmas morning, remembering when my parents put mandarin oranges and little sachets of spices such as nutmeg and cinnamon sticks in my stocking on the fireplace mantle, I used Armani Acqua di Giò aftershave and the Scentville clone of Amouage Epic Man.

The aftershave has top notes of lime, lemon, bergamot, jasmine, orange, mandarin orange and neroli; middle sea notes, jasmine, calone, peach, freesia, hyacinth, cyclamen, rosemary, violet, coriander, nutmeg, rose and mignonette; and base notes white musk, cedar, oakmoss, patchouli and amber.
K6BSMLb.jpg

The fragrance has top notes of pink pepper, olibanum, saffron, nutmeg, cardamom, caraway, mace and myrtle; middle notes myrrh and geranium; and base notes are oud, incense, leather, castoreum, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood, styrax and musk.
TrGAvnW.jpg

Their only shared notes are nutmeg, patchouli, cedar, and musk. But the citruses of the aftershave blend really nicely with the spices of the EdT.

This morning I used vintage Floris Elite aftershave, followed by a clone of Creed Bois du Portugal.
The aftershave top notes are bergamot, juniper, cedar, grapefruit and petitgrain; middle notes are fir, lavender and bay leaf; and base notes are oakmoss, leather, vetiver, cedar, amber, musk and patchouli.
LbcZCkt.jpg

The fragrance top note is bergamot; middle note is lavender; and base notes are sandalwood, cedar, vetiver and ambergris.
S3ta3ky.jpg

So the shared notes are bergamot, lavender, cedar, and vetiver. And they blended really well.

Back