The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Complementary aftershave and fragrance

Some of us seem to mainly prefer using a fragrance that exactly matches the aftershave used that day, while others like to mix and match more. I actually like to do both, my choice depending upon the specific products and my mood. This morning is used Ginger's Garden Springtime in Paris splash aftershave followed by Commodity Vetiver fragrance, and I really liked the combination. As you can see from the lists of notes below, they share some and have some that would seem to complement or balance notes in the other product.

Ginger’s Garden Springtime in Paris is a fougere blend of Lavender, Bergamot, Rose, Patchouli, Vetiver, Geranium, Oakmoss, Jasmine and Vanilla.

Vetiver by Commodity is a woody fragrance for women and men. Top notes are Blackberry, Apple and Petalia; middle notes are Jasmine and Jasmine Sambac; base notes are Haitian Vetiver, Indonesian Patchouli Leaf, Australian Sandalwood and Cedar.

A couple hours later, my wife commented about how much she liked how I smelled, which I think was the result of interactions of the aftershave and fragrance.

Have you noted certain combinations of aftershave and cologne or EdT providing new and uniquely good experiences when used together?

CF Sherlock or WSP Mahogany in combination with TF Oud Wood. Makes for a really robust earthy woody combo!

Here are some of the few that I paired in the last few months to give me that overall “feeling” because they compliment but not dupe

A&E Cuban Highball with Jacques Zolty Severo (both remind you of a rum & coke)
Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars with Aramis Havana (the tobacco notes compliment each other)
Maggard‘s Limes & Bergamot with L'Artisan Parfumeur Batucada (the lime goes well with the Brazilian boozy drink notes)
345 Soaps General Patton with Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme (the powdery notes work well together)
Marring Citrus Waters with any fragrance that I have with grapefruit: Bleu de Chanel, D&G Light Blue Forever, etc (because grapefruit is life 😂)
Zingari Man The Gent with JPG Le Male (powdery notes again)
Summer Break Soaps Bell Ringer with Hugo Boss Bottled Intense (apple notes go together)
WCS No. 1 Gatsby with Commodity Gin (the notes blend well - they don’t necessarily share anything in particular but give you that Roaring 20’s feel which I dig Ol’ Spirt)
H.Zone Essential Man 1930, Wholly Kaw Fern Concerto or Man from Mayfair with Dior Eau Sauvage EdT or Rochas Moustache EdT (that classic gentleman smell)

Since I used it today - I’d like to add West Coast Shaving Chypre and Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum- the deeper resin note pairs well with the myrrh of the parfumerie - plus both hit you up top with the citrus

Today I used Calvin Klein Eternity aftershave and vintage Trumper Eau de Quinine EdT. They don't seem to share notes, but they worked really well together.
Eternity notes: sage, apple, ozonic tones, cypress, lavender, geranium, nutmeg, suede, ambergris, orris root
Eau de Quinine notes: rosemary, other herbs, bitters, cassia, gentian, orange peel, bergamot

Here are some of the few that I paired in the last few months to give me that overall “feeling” because they compliment but not dupe

Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars with Aramis Havana (the tobacco notes compliment each other)
Maggard‘s Limes & Bergamot with L'Artisan Parfumeur Batucada (the lime goes well with the Brazilian boozy drink notes)
345 Soaps General Patton with Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme (the powdery notes work well together)
Marring Citrus Waters with any fragrance that I have with grapefruit: Bleu de Chanel, D&G Light Blue Forever, etc (because grapefruit is life )
Summer Break Soaps Bell Ringer with Hugo Boss Bottled Intense (apple notes go together)
WCS No. 1 Gatsby with Commodity Gin (the notes blend well - they don’t necessarily share anything in particular but give you that Roaring 20’s feel which I dig Ol’ Spirt)
H.Zone Essential Man 1930, Wholly Kaw Fern Concerto or Man from Mayfair with Dior Eau Sauvage EdT or Rochas Moustache EdT (that classic gentleman smell)
I also like the Henri Et Victoria Cognac and Cubans/Havana combo. I pair Razorock Puros with Havana as well. Puros is very rich, and Havana adds some sharpness to it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Marring Citrus Waters with any fragrance that I have with grapefruit: Bleu de Chanel, D&G Light Blue Forever, etc (because grapefruit is life 😂)
Great combinations.

Layered aromas are the way. Going for more of a theme than a single note. There are a few that I most enjoy asd a vertical, but trying to paint with many colors is fun.

A few I enjoy (aftershave/EdT):
Cigar Aficionado / Quorum | (very cigar shop themed)
Stirling GMIT / Tommy Bahama St Kitts | (super island themed)
Old Spice Hawkridge / CK Obsession | (vanilla and cinnamon)

Those are some great sounding combos.
I have a bunch that see regular playing time together, much along your lines of 'complimenting but not duping':
A&E Asian Plum with Shulton OS- not sure why, but it sure works
Castle Forbes Lime or Stirling Gin &Tonic with Dior Eau Sauvage- the citrus is the compliment
SV Desert Vetiver with Fine Fresh Vetiver- lots of vetiver stuff out there, but this is a fave combo
Mike's Orange, Pepper and Cedar with CL Bon Vivant- I suspect it is the citrus again that makes it
First Canadian Maximo Gomez with Jeeves Tobacco Bay Leaf- Just finished this soap, but this was my fave tobacco combo
HSSC Kootenay Blue with Reserve Cool- apart from the 'blue' look, there is a freshness there that is very compimentary

I tend to use a lot of combos that just don’t make sense to anyone but me. I’m definitely not worried about matching, and tend to think more about how long the various fragrances last, to avoid extra horrible clashing.

I tend to use a lot of combos that just don’t make sense to anyone but me. I’m definitely not worried about matching, and tend to think more about how long the various fragrances last, to avoid extra horrible clashing.
If it works - then it makes sense!

Back