The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Coffee

Well...it looks like I will be visiting the various junk stores this weekend looking for an air popper!

Well I need to thank uacowboy and all those who made roasting your own coffee sound like a good idea. I have about 20 pounds of green coffee beans stinking up my storage closet and I've "roasted" about a pound (finished bean) using a variety of methods and tools. The most flavorful "roast" was a small batch I heated for an hour using a stir crazy popper. The roast never got past light tan but it proved something...barely roasted/nearly green coffee is intensely disgusting. Still, I am happy to have been able to experience the floral, green taste.

I have since bought a simple air popper that has allowed me to burn beans at a much faster rate than I had expected. I have managed to roast some usable beans but the majority has resulted in pretty basic if not flavorless dark coffee. My liquid coffee consumption has suffered as a result of my failures BUT my consumption of raw roasted beans has seen an increase. I have found that I rather enjoy munching on the roasted beans while watching tv. I have found beans have a variety of different tastes depending on the stage of roast, the lighter roasts are quite a bit more enjoyable than I had expected.

There is a downside to this little roasting thing and that is that I haven't slept in a week and my heart has taken up residence outside my chest. I find myself waiting for the family to go to bed so I can sneak outside with my little hot air thing and burns some beans.

I choose the easy route. Amazon returned item sale store next town over. $2 day. This is one item the wife nabbed. 5 pounds for $2. I'm told it from Gevalia

I choose the easy route. Amazon returned item sale store next town over. $2 day. This is one item the wife nabbed. 5 pounds for $2. I'm told it from Gevalia
But those beans are already ground, i couldn't chew on those while watching the late night infomercials.

Well I need to thank uacowboy and all those who made roasting your own coffee sound like a good idea. I have about 20 pounds of green coffee beans stinking up my storage closet and I've "roasted" about a pound (finished bean) using a variety of methods and tools. The most flavorful "roast" was a small batch I heated for an hour using a stir crazy popper. The roast never got past light tan but it proved something...barely roasted/nearly green coffee is intensely disgusting. Still, I am happy to have been able to experience the floral, green taste.

I have since bought a simple air popper that has allowed me to burn beans at a much faster rate than I had expected. I have managed to roast some usable beans but the majority has resulted in pretty basic if not flavorless dark coffee. My liquid coffee consumption has suffered as a result of my failures BUT my consumption of raw roasted beans has seen an increase. I have found that I rather enjoy munching on the roasted beans while watching tv. I have found beans have a variety of different tastes depending on the stage of roast, the lighter roasts are quite a bit more enjoyable than I had expected.

There is a downside to this little roasting thing and that is that I haven't slept in a week and my heart has taken up residence outside my chest. I find myself waiting for the family to go to bed so I can sneak outside with my little hot air thing and burns some beans.

happy to enable lol. Something that helped me a lot in the beginning was that a roast should really take 12-15 min. if it takes longer you need more heat, and if its much faster then you need less. This is for a Medium roast which i find allows the unique flavor of the beans to come through but still get that roasty goodness you want in a cup of coffee.

i need to roast a batch in the next couple days so i will try to see if i can record it and post the video.

happy to enable lol. Something that helped me a lot in the beginning was that a roast should really take 12-15 min. if it takes longer you need more heat, and if its much faster then you need less. This is for a Medium roast which i find allows the unique flavor of the beans to come through but still get that roasty goodness you want in a cup of coffee.

i need to roast a batch in the next couple days so i will try to see if i can record it and post the video.
video(s) would be nice.

Also, sorry for the vertical video. didn't even think about that till i had it uploaded.

Okay that was cool. I feel like I could do that on the side burner on my grill

Okay that was cool. I feel like I could do that on the side burner on my grill

That should work just fine. you just need a good "column" of heat coming up. I tried using the burners in the main grill once and the heat is to diffuse, but the side burner should be about perfect.

Kyle, I don't know if I will ever do this or not but found it fascinating to watch which is a better learning method for me. Thanks for making the video.

glad you enjoyed it, hopefully with a cup of coffee in hand! As for the flavor of this batch, I am drinking the first cup now, and i am getting a very smooth and earthy/roasty flavor. very low acidity and maybe the slightest hint of baking chocolate. It is a very good cup of black coffee.

Thanks for the video. I was wondering about light vs medium vs dark roast. Your explaination of when the roasting was done was easy to understand, but made it seem like there was one certain point when that was to get good flavor, but not burn the beans. To different roasts do you end the roasting before or after those set points? For example for a light roast, would you stop before the rice crispy sounds started?

That's pretty much right but it can be tricky. The beans are still kinda hard until the second crack. I would say try to stop it just as it starts for lighter and the longer you let it go the darker it will be but it's a pretty fast reaction once it starts so it takes practice getting what you want. And some beans handle darker roasts better than others.

The wife surprised me with a hot air popper the other day. I didn't even know they still made these. Now to look for some beans!

Back