The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Coffee

Not me.... John maybe?

Spiders, Monkeys...Spider Monkeys...it's all the same thing!
1f60b.png

The easiest way is to gt an old popcorn popper from Goodwill. Get one with the hot air vents on the side of the chamber and not on the bottom. Some of the newer ones you have to remove the thermal switch so it will get hot enough. You can make a about a 3/4 cup of roasted beans.

https://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=270

Okay...whats a solid method that wont burn my house down...
1f60a.png

Those if you that are mentioning the bitterness of coffee, have you tried cold brew? I've found cold brew to not have any bitterness at all, and makes a delicious cup of coffee! In fact let me go get another cup!

Those if you that are mentioning the bitterness of coffee, have you tried cold brew? I've found cold brew to not have any bitterness at all, and makes a delicious cup of coffee! In fact let me go get another cup!

I like strong coffee. Dark roast, extra bold if at all possible. That is inherently going to be a little bitter. I don’t mind it. But I have made cold brew in my French press, and can attest that it is smoother and less bitter. It’s really good, but in the cooler months, I gotta have my coffee hot!

I like strong coffee. Dark roast, extra bold if at all possible. That is inherently going to be a little bitter. I don’t mind it. But I have made cold brew in my French press, and can attest that it is smoother and less bitter. It’s really good, but in the cooler months, I gotta have my coffee hot!

This is me exactly! I am all fine with cold coffee in warmer months but when the cold weather comes my coffee needs to be hotter

Coold brew is amazing! It's even good warmed up! I know it sounds like a lot of work...but man that is some good stuff!

Ok you got me, I’ve ordered my green beans and am preparing to use my air popper to roast them up. I have access to a local roaster but rarely get beans from him because it’s out of the way. I had a good friend who owned a roasting company and he would make me my own special requests and deliver them to me. My favorite was a med/dark roast made with orange peel, the resulting taste was awesome. Sadly he packed up and went to Canada.

For NurseDave and anyone else with a kurig as their regular use machine...I have/use the adapters that let me use my own ground coffee. They are useless as they are sold but with one small modification they work well. If you cut the top off a used kurig cup and poke a couple more small holes in the bottom then slide that into the adapter befor putting in the filter basket you get a pretty good cup of coffee. Without the modifications the water goes through the filter too quickly, with the mods the water is slowed and it flows through the filter at a better speed and pressure.

I really enjoy my coffee, but don't roast my own. I grind my beans each morning then do a pour-over using a Chemex & paper filters. I used a french press for years until I tasted the Chemex. Big difference in flavor. After getting the Chemex, I gave my french press to my son.

For NurseDave and anyone else with a kurig as their regular use machine...I have/use the adapters that let me use my own ground coffee. They are useless as they are sold but with one small modification they work well. If you cut the top off a used kurig cup and poke a couple more small holes in the bottom then slide that into the adapter befor putting in the filter basket you get a pretty good cup of coffee. Without the modifications the water goes through the filter too quickly, with the mods the water is slowed and it flows through the filter at a better speed and pressure.
That's a smart idea. I don't know if I'd be motivated enough to deal with it.

One issue at work is we don't have a kitchen area in my department. So I need to go down the hall to the bathroom to clean anything out. Otherwise I think I might give the french press a try. It at least makes it look like you're serious about coffee.

I have been using an Aeropress alot lately. Makes a great cup and clean up is so much easier than my French press. I picked it up at Goodwill for $5.

I have been using an Aeropress alot lately. Males a great cup and clean up is so much easier than my French press. I picked it up at Goodwill for $5.

That is pretty much my go to make as well. They are great for travel too.

Thanks for posting that Dave...Now I am interested in an Aeropress! I use a French Press and a Pour Over and a Chemex from time to time. These two methods make the best coffee I can make at home...at least from what I have tried so far. I usually reserve this for the weekends, but I have slacked lately.

Thanks for posting that Dave...Now I am interested in an Aeropress! I use a French Press and a Pour Over and a Chemex from time to time. These two methods make the best coffee I can make at home...at least from what I have tried so far. I usually reserve this for the weekends, but I have slacked lately.
I'm here for ya buddy

Thanks Doug. Now I need one of those for yet another way to make coffee. I have a Turkish coffee set but can't get the hang of the process for the foam right. Darn tasty though.

Back