The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Cheese

I love cheese of all types but my favourite is Halloumi which is a cheese that originates from Cyprus. Fell in love with it while there in the late 80s and it has been a love ever since.

I love cheese of all types but my favourite is Halloumi which is a cheese that originates from Cyprus. Fell in love with it while there in the late 80s and it has been a love ever since.
Have never heard of that. Yet another reason for a trip to Casa de Ed

Big cheese fan here. Probably one of my favorite of all foods. I consider cheese it's own food group. Some people just lump it in with dairy but I know better. ;) I'd say that currently my favorite cheese is Cypress Grove Midnight Moon from California. It's made with aged goat's milk. I can eat an entire block in one sitting. I'm also a huge fan of fresh mozzarella. Love it with some nice heirloom tomato, basil and olive oil. And who doesn't like a block of cheddar cheese for hiking in the mountains? I'm partial to New York State Sharp Cheddar (white). Reality is I've never met a cheese I ddin't like. Every Thanksgiving I put together the hors douvers with the centerpiece being 5 or 6 cheeses. Besides the Midnight Moon I get my wife's favorite, Istara Ossau-Iraty which is a sheep milk from France. Also I'll throw a soft cheese in there such as Brillat Savarin, a cow's milk cheese with a rind that I'll eat with the cheese. It's so soft you just spread it on a piece of fresh peasant bread with some fig jam. Crazy good. I've been getting a Red Leicester which is an English cows milk cheese. Lastly I've also been getting a cheese that has a line of truffles in it. I don't recall what it is. I'll serve all of the above with the previously mentioned fig jam, some high quality salami, a bunch of fruits like red and green grapes, dried figs, dates, apricots, fresh Kumquats, pears and apples. I'll also serve some almonds, cashews and pistachios. And of course an assortment of crackers that won't compete with the cheese as well as some french baguette. I love putting all this together every year. And then for xmas I've begun making something that just blows everyone away. And of course it has cheese. They are bacon wrapped cabrales stuffed medjool dates drizzled with honey. OMG. One year I made three trays. One of the trays on the bottom got burnt so I didn't put them out and stashed the burnt tray in the back figuring no one would want them. Well, I found my sister in law chowing down on them and said they are insanely good, even burnt. I love cheese so much I can even just peel off slices of white american and just eat it by it's lonesome. My doctor doesn't like this infatuation I have. But I can't help it.

Living on the edge of Amish country, I have access to a cheese wonderland! I’ve developed a great liking for Stilton for some reason.

View attachment 29964
Blue Stilton is another favorite of mine too.

So many great cheese's out there. I need to place an order for some as soon as I finish my Beecher's.

Last edited:
You all are some serious cheese eaters! Very interesting thread and @MntnMan62 you definitely know your cheeses. I see now why you are probably the first one invited to Thanksgiving dinner!

I guess I'm sorta a novice in the cheese world. I love all the sharp and extra sharp cheddar's out there. I must say, there hasn't been a cheese I've tried that I haven't liked. The smoked cheeses sound absolutely wonderful! I plan on building a smokehouse someday, so I'm guessing I could smoke my own cheese?

Making your own cheese? Smoking your own cheese? These are all things I think I could do. My problem is...I am not sure I am patient enough to wait for cheese to age and would eat all of it before it is ready!

Seriously though...I think if I had a bit more space...I think the cheese making would be a thing for me. Also thinking of some future Father/Daughter activities that I can do. This might be at the top of the list.

Smoking up your own cheese isn't very difficult.

Just want to make sure that it's cool enough. Say low 60's and below. So your cheese won't melt on you.

I tried cheese that crumbled off the main piece after I just smoked it up. It was terrible. Tasted like the cheese came out of a dirty ash tray.

I've heard that if you want to eat cheese right out of the smoker. You want to smoke it for less time. Around 2 to 2 and a half hours. But I've never tried that yet.

Smoking up your own cheese isn't very difficult.

Just want to make sure that it's cool enough. Say low 60's and below. So your cheese won't melt on you.

I tried cheese that crumbled off the main piece after I just smoked it up. It was terrible. Tasted like the cheese came out of a dirty ash tray.

I've heard that if you want to eat cheese right out of the smoker. You want to smoke it for less time. Around 2 to 2 and a half hours. But I've never tried that yet.
Yep, it can be very bitter right from the smoker. Best to vacuum seal it and put it in refrigerator for 3 weeks or more to mellow.

Back