The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBLindsay's brain droppings

Some updates:
My grandson has had a few rough days but has certainly been moving in a more possitve direction. They have been able to step down (a few steps) the extraordinary ventilation measures, getting him back on a more standard ventilator and less oxygen supplement. They have removed the chest tube which has signigicantly reduced the amount of pain he is feeling, so they have also been able to reduce the pain meds. He is still easily over stimulated so they aren't able to hold him or do much physical contact but they should change soon. If he continues to do well and make a little progress each day he should be eating and breathing on his own soon. Dr's are still stressing how critically ill he is but are happy he is stablizing rather than gettign worse.

I have received clearance to get my dad into the assited living place he wanted to move to. We should have access to the place soon and be able to move in some new and old furniture this weekend. IF I get help from my brother we should have it all done and ready to have him move in by Monday. For now they are going to give him "level 1" care but he and they think he will end up needing level 0 care (mostly housekeeping and such with no need for medical stuff). I think him being around people throughout the day everyday will be good for him.

Went to Disneyland with my wife and youngest daughter yesterday... Fitbit says I walk a million miles and took a bazillion steps, I am inclined to beleive it. OVerall the trip was decent and we were able to enjoy many rides. My wife has been a few time over the last couple years but I have not been since the week before they shut down in 2020. I must say, I am not terribly impressed with the "new" Disney. This is the first time I have visited Disney where I felt like a second class Disney citizen. My wife got us SoCal season passes so we aren't so fixated on cramming it all in in one day, so if future visits become unenjoyable we can/will just leave.

Thanks fro all the well wishes and prayers, they are appreciated.

Glad to hear your grandson’s doing better. Neonatal care is so tricky, but it’s certainly a step in the right direction.

Hope your father gets settled in quickly. Be well, Chris.

Not really a comprehensive journal post, but more of a short update of sorts....

I'm still on a shave every few days kind of routine so I am not exactyl burning through product or using a large vareity of gear. I have been using Longrifle soap (Hawkeye) for a while and I am thinking I will continue to do so until the tin is empty. For those who don't know (or remember) Longrifle soap is one of my favorite artisan soaps. They have been around awhile and offer some very enjoyable soaps of all kinds. I am not sure if they still do but they used to describe the shaving soap as being a classic Italian cream style. It is not a cream by any stretch but I think they were meaning it producess an Italian soap style creamy lather. The soap is easy to use and even after owning/using it for years it still has a great scent. Hawkeye isn't necessarily my favorite scent from their line up but it isn't a dud either, its worthy of a place in the den.
As far as gear goes, I have been using mostly the Tedalus or a knock off adjustable razor with a Wizmet blade. Last week (maybe the week before that ) the Tedalus felt off so I changed the blade to a fresh feather pro blade, the next 2 shaves were horrible, painful and bloody so I tossed that blade an have not used the Tedalus since. The Adjustable with Wizmet blade was doing very well ...until last night. I once again looked like I shaved with a cheese grater. Worse still is the fact that as I sit here now it feels like I have not shaved for days. So I will be tossing the blade after only 5 or 6 shaves. While I am blaming the blades I am also wonderign if my preshave routine might be part of the problem...although other than my preshave shwoer prep might be leaving my face hot (And prone to bleeding) I would have to struggle to explain how the routine would set me up for such epic failures. This leaves me wondering if its a frame of mind thing.

On another note. My dad has been living in his new assited living apartment for a month now and after weeks of work we are down to only a few larger peices of furniture and some trash to remove from his old digs. I am hopeful that my brother will stepp up and help get us over the finish line, but I won't hold my breath.

Back