The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Cast Iron

I'll stop by on my way home from work tomorrow and pick it up. I'll be nice and dispose of it for you. šŸ˜œ

Lol, that is so thoughtful, thanks Shawn.

It is unused (never seasoned) and from my research I believe it is chrome plated.

Just kidding, I know nothing of cast skillets...though my wife does want one.
Look up kent Rollins on YouTube. He has a couple of videos doing reviews and comparisons on a lot of the modern brands. Plus lots of amazing cooking.

We use nothing but Griswold's in my house. From my understanding, the collectors value the chrome plated ones more but those of us who use them daily don't because usually the chrome is not in good shape. Your's seems in really good shape. I'd check out current collector prices before using.

So wish I could get my hands on some Griswold Cast Iron! It is impossible to get them here in the south and from what I understand...in the PA, NY, OH area they are really hard to find also. Looking for them on the likes of ebay and such, you are going to spend a fortune finding them.

I just saw 2 number 7 griswold skillets for under 30 bucks each sunday... and in excellentshape even.
I really wanted to pick them up but the 2 ivory scales heljstand straights won out.

We use nothing but Griswold's in my house. From my understanding, the collectors value the chrome plated ones more but those of us who use them daily don't because usually the chrome is not in good shape. Your's seems in really good shape. I'd check out current collector prices before using.

Yep, I have checked it out some. While it is somewhat unique and kinda cool, I am not a collector and am not really interested in using the Chromed one. I may sell or trade it.

I just saw 2 number 7 griswold skillets for under 30 bucks each sunday... and in excellentshape even.
I really wanted to pick them up but the 2 ivory scales heljstand straights won out.
@ShawnF was this at the Antique Mall in Sally? LOL

Shawn and I run into that a lot with blacksmithing stuff..........it's old so it's worth a lot of money type of thinking. I always explain to people that there's the collecting world and then there's those of us who use the stuff. I've gotten good deals on axe heads after being honest and telling the seller that I plan on hanging a new handle on it and putting it back to work.

We have a Cast iron Dutch Oven and cast iron fry pan that are at least 50 yrs old the makers marks look hand stamped but cannot make them out anymore

Shawn and I run into that a lot with blacksmithing stuff..........it's old so it's worth a lot of money type of thinking. I always explain to people that there's the collecting world and then there's those of us who use the stuff. I've gotten good deals on axe heads after being honest and telling the seller that I plan on hanging a new handle on it and putting it back to work.
Yep, I have seen that first hand with both straight razors and Bamboo fly rods. Just because it is old doesn't mean it is worth big $$$$.

Now back to cast iron, lol.... I just found out that I am getting the other skillet from my mother in law. This one is an enamel covered cast iron. Never used an enameled one. Will post pix when I get it.

Yep, I have seen that first hand with both straight razors and Bamboo fly rods. Just because it is old doesn't mean it is worth big $$$$.

Now back to cast iron, lol.... I just found out that I am getting the other skillet from my mother in law. This one is an enamel covered cast iron. Never used an enameled one. Will post pix when I get it.
I have an enameled cast iron frying pan and a dutch oven. They are nice and you don't have the seasoning hassle on a new pan.

Saw a piece at the flea market in town that I don't need but an interesting piece none the less. Has embossing on one side says Baltimore and on the other side 12 gallon. Guy is asking $115 and no doubt worth it but shipping could be an issue I'm sure. Definitely not something you see too often.
IMG_20200814_070300516.jpgIMG_20200814_070305415.jpgIMG_20200814_070320848.jpg

Back