The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Cast Iron

ShawnF

Possibly Ironman
Hobbyist
At the request/idea/mention/something or other of @dangerousdon and @Dave in KY , here is a thread to show your cast iron pots/pan collection and dishes made with them.

Most of my cooking is pretty simple, but I do really enjoy using my cast iron for most things. I've actually recently gotten rid of all my T-Fal (which are garbage and not worth the money in my opinion) and everything else in the cupboard. I reduced to a new set of stainless steel pots, and my cast iron pans and dutch oven.

Last nights meal was simple. I'm no chef by any means.

Started with heating up the skillet on the stove at a medium/high heat while putting some Cajun seasoning on some pork loin I cut into chops. Then a generous drop of real butter into the hot pan along with a small splash of olive oil.

20190824_194108.jpg

Then place the meat in the hot pan just long enough to sear, then flip it to sear the other side.

20190824_194144.jpg

20190824_194240.jpg

From that point, a quick hit on the edges of the meat to sear them, then I turn the heat down to a medium/low setting and cover it. I let it finish cooking that way to keep all the juicyness inside and keep from charring the outside.

Meanwhile, since I've been on a major rice kick lately for some odd reason, the rice is cooking.

20190824_194837.jpg

And the end result was delicious!

20190824_200033.jpg

So what have you guys got? I know @uacowboy likes to use cast iron, but we can't be the only ones.
I'll try to get some pictures of my little collection to add later.

Thanks Shawn! This is excellent! I'm pulling out a cast iron pan today for my liver and onions.

By the way what's your cast iron? From PA I'm assuming something like Griswold?

Thanks Shawn! This is excellent! I'm pulling out a cast iron pan today for my liver and onions.

By the way what's your cast iron? From PA I'm assuming something like Griswold?
I have 2 Griswolds, 3 Wagners, a Chinese made, an Ozark Trail, and a ceramic coated skillet and dutch oven that I can't remember who made.

I have 2 Griswolds, 3 Wagners, a Chinese made, an Ozark Trail, and a ceramic coated skillet and dutch oven that I can't remember who made.
Wagner and Griswold are definitely hard to come by now! Mine are mostly Lodge. And mostly the new stuff...not the good stuff. Someone gave the wife some Emeril Ware cast Iron. It's okay...The wife also has some ceramic coated cast iron that I am amazed at how easy it is to use. We have a glass top stove (don't have gas in the house) so we can't use the real cast iron on it.

Great thread. I'm just starting to get into using cast iron. I've made some really nice dishes with it. Roasted brussel sprouts are amazing. I've made some fish in them and love how it browns up nicely. I've got three sizes and need to start using them more. When I'm not using them, I use stainless steel All Clad skillets, fry pans, sauce pans, etc. No non-stick stuff anymore for us. I used to use non-stick because It thought it was better because it was easier to clean. But the more I cooked the more I realized that the only reason stuff would get cooked onto the pan was because I wasn't good at cooking. Now that I have the hang of cooking I find that stuff doesn't get burnt anymore because I'm paying attention to what I'm doing. And I also find that if stuff does get cooked onto the All Clad stuff, all you have to do is let it soak in some Dawn dishwashing detergent and water for a few hours or overnight for really burnt on stuff and the crud just melts off. Just as good as the non-stick but without the poison leaching into my food. But back to cast iron. I'm still getting the hang of how to clean them after use so that I don't mess with the "seasoning". They really are awesome. Will post some picks of stuff I make in them.

At the request/idea/mention/something or other of @dangerousdon and @Dave in KY , here is a thread to show your cast iron pots/pan collection and dishes made with them.

Most of my cooking is pretty simple, but I do really enjoy using my cast iron for most things. I've actually recently gotten rid of all my T-Fal (which are garbage and not worth the money in my opinion) and everything else in the cupboard. I reduced to a new set of stainless steel pots, and my cast iron pans and dutch oven.

Last nights meal was simple. I'm no chef by any means.

Started with heating up the skillet on the stove at a medium/high heat while putting some Cajun seasoning on some pork loin I cut into chops. Then a generous drop of real butter into the hot pan along with a small splash of olive oil.

View attachment 7917

Then place the meat in the hot pan just long enough to sear, then flip it to sear the other side.

View attachment 7918

View attachment 7919

From that point, a quick hit on the edges of the meat to sear them, then I turn the heat down to a medium/low setting and cover it. I let it finish cooking that way to keep all the juicyness inside and keep from charring the outside.

Meanwhile, since I've been on a major rice kick lately for some odd reason, the rice is cooking.

View attachment 7920

And the end result was delicious!

View attachment 7921

So what have you guys got? I know @uacowboy likes to use cast iron, but we can't be the only ones.
I'll try to get some pictures of my little collection to add later.

I hear you on the rice. I've been making either Basmati or Jasmine rice to go with many of my dinners for a while now. I never used to cook rice but the wife always said we need a carb with the vegetables and meat. I like to adulterate my rice though. I add some butter, maybe a tablespoon, olive oil and chicken bouillon to my rice. Not as healthy but definitely delicious.

I'm still getting the hang of how to clean them after use so that I don't mess with the "seasoning".
This is what I need to research better and figure out.
I've got a plastic cleaning brush I keep just for them. After they cool enough to be able to touch them, I use just a small drop of dish soap and that brush with hot water. I wipe it dry, then wipe a film of oil over it again (just the inside) before hanging it up.
I just let that oil cook when I heat the pan up the next use. So far I've had no issues doing it that way.

This is what I need to research better and figure out.

What I've been doing is just wiping it down with a paper towel. Sometimes that works well enough. Other times there is just too much "crud". Then I'll use a sponge and sometimes even use the green scrubby side of the sponge. That definitely removes things right down to the cast iron. If I go that route, I then take the "cleaned" pan and then spread some olive oil in it using a paper towel and coat the entire inside of the pan with it. And then I just put it away. I'm not sure if that's the right approach but it's what I've been doing.

I thought you don't clean them. Maybe a little kosher salt to help break up the crusties. Otherwise leave the juice for the next meal. 🤪

Well...did my Liver and Onions on my cast iron on the grill like I said I would. I cooked up some beef heart also for good measure. Using the cast iron on the grill was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. There was more liver...but the others were smaller pieces. All of them are delicious...and the onions might be the sweetest sauteed onions I have ever had!

1566776163863.png1566776212291.png1566776241138.png

Interesting article on seasoning cast iron:

I think there is some good info here. But I think I am going to stick with a saturated fat to season it. Flaxseed oils does go rancid like she says. I know the process does whatever...but at some point that pan is going to touch food. Over the past almost two years...I have been very picky over the fats I use and refuse to use vegetable oil, corn oil, canola, grapseed, and most certainly refuse to use soybean oil. These oils are highly oxidative and are almost always rancid when you buy them. Might be a personal choice. I have no qualms with flaxseed oil (I actually use flax on a daily basis), but as it is lower in saturated fat and does contain a good bit of polyunsaturated fat...I think flaxseed is left for immediate consumption and not to season a pan to be left in the cabinet for a month or so until the next time you use it.

Otherwise...good info in that blog post.

Also wadded up piles of rags etc... soaked in linseed oil can generate enough heat to catch fire all on it's own as the oil cures.

I've seen that happen for real. My neighbor was having his floors redone while away on vacation. I guess they gave the contractor the keys. So one day I go outside and there's a pile of dark green garbage bags in front of their house by the street and they were in flames. The flames were rising about 5 to 6 feet in the air. I ran back in the house, found a bucket and filled it up with water and doused the fire out. I poured a couple more buckets of water just to be safe and let my neighbor know what had happened but that all was ok. I'm guessing it was linseed oil that was the culprit.

As far as cleaning, I heat the pan back up so it pretty hot but not cooking hot and the run the hottest tap water I can over it. As long as the water is hot this works fine and flashes to steam and blasts off and cooked on bits. For anything still there I have a nylon brush and a chainmail scrubber.

After that I dry it, heat it back up on the stove and wipe it down with a super thin layer of oil.

Interesting article on seasoning cast iron:

Interesting article but in my opinion the only reason for a coating like that is either cosmetic or you plan to be lax in your maintenance from that point on. I have used olive oil, vegetable oil, coconut oil and bacon grease all with zero problems.

All my Iron is modern lodge but if I see anything in decent shape at an antique shop I'll probably pick it up. I'll get a picture in the morning.

So, which oil do you use to season your cast iron?
I have used bacon grease (strained), butter, and coconut oil. All are saturated fats and all are stable at room temp. Last night I used coconut oil because it was available and didn't feel like opening another stick of butter. I think olive and avocado oils would probably be okay, like the article said, if you are using your pan often. I am vehemently opposed to any oils that are produced or processed with chemicals (hexane) or high heat. These oils would be vegetable oil, canola, corn oil, and soybean oil to name a few. Sorry...I realize I am getting preachy here. I am just giving my view and nothing more. I just appreciate people cooking with cast iron instead of popping something in the microwave! For the record...my great grand parents (great grandmother was born in 1904) used nothing but bacon grease or lard to season her cast iron.

Mad respect to all you guys that have this down. I haven’t been able to cook with anything other than non-stick without stuff sticking to the pan. We have some what I think are nice stainless steel pans with copper bottoms. But they never get touched because of the sticking issue.

Back