The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Cast Iron

It was a Witch & Wizard Megastore red tag discount item. The batch it was a part of had a spelling error where is read “12 CALLON” instead of “12 GALLON”

I'm a fan of Cast Iron and have a ton of the US-made Lodge skillets

That said... I'm a HUGE fan of Carbon Steel skillets. They heat up quicker, are lighter weight, easier to clean since they are smooth surface, and the handles don't get nearly as hot.

Price is a bit more than cast iron, but its worth the up-charge IMO

My favorite is:

when you put links I spend money.

Nice. We must have clicked on it and been looking at them at the same time, lol. I managed to restrain myself for the time being though.

Yea I did not LOL! We are getting tired of our teflon pans and wanting to replace and try other options. LOL

Yea I did not LOL! We are getting tired of our teflon pans and wanting to replace and try other options. LOL
yep, that's kinda where I am at. I may still pull the trigger on one. Let us know how you like it.

yep, that's kinda where I am at. I may still pull the trigger on one. Let us know how you like it.
I am sure Megan will tell you one day on the Zoom call LOL! She cooks more than me. Although I do all the cooking while camping. And I do cook breakfast. But I am sure she will use it before I.

Everyone should watch the Documentary called "The Devil We Know". You'll throw away all your Teflon and never look back...

But on a happier note, once you get your Carbon Steel Skillet, be sure to season it properly. There are many youtube videos on the correct process. Its pretty easy. I heat up the skillet on medium-high heat, add some veg oil, the peelings of 2 potato's, and 1/3 cup table salt. Do your best to burn it all in the skillet and stir it up for 20 full minutes. The end result will be a glassy black skillet. The blacker the better... and it will essentially make it a non-stick pan.

Great thread. I'm just starting to get into using cast iron. I've made some really nice dishes with it. Roasted brussel sprouts are amazing. I've made some fish in them and love how it browns up nicely. I've got three sizes and need to start using them more. When I'm not using them, I use stainless steel All Clad skillets, fry pans, sauce pans, etc. No non-stick stuff anymore for us. I used to use non-stick because It thought it was better because it was easier to clean. But the more I cooked the more I realized that the only reason stuff would get cooked onto the pan was because I wasn't good at cooking. Now that I have the hang of cooking I find that stuff doesn't get burnt anymore because I'm paying attention to what I'm doing. And I also find that if stuff does get cooked onto the All Clad stuff, all you have to do is let it soak in some Dawn dishwashing detergent and water for a few hours or overnight for really burnt on stuff and the crud just melts off. Just as good as the non-stick but without the poison leaching into my food. But back to cast iron. I'm still getting the hang of how to clean them after use so that I don't mess with the "seasoning". They really are awesome. Will post some picks of stuff I make in them.
I am fortunate to have inherited my grandma’s Griswold cast iron pans. A trick to cleaning them a fellow scoutmaster taught me is to pour some course ground salt like kosher salt in the pan, add a dash of water, and scrub with a potato cut in half. Then rinse and wipe dry. If I don’t have a potato handy I just use my fingers. Works like a charm. Doesn’t hurt to smear a dab of oil on them afterwards, but not always necessary. Whatever you do, don't use soap!

We currently have the emeril and Paula Deen cookware and we have some or this brand cookwares.
img63c.jpg
The last has an excellent lifetime warranty if something ever goes wrong with it...

Everyone should watch the Documentary called "The Devil We Know". You'll throw away all your Teflon and never look back...

But on a happier note, once you get your Carbon Steel Skillet, be sure to season it properly. There are many youtube videos on the correct process. Its pretty easy. I heat up the skillet on medium-high heat, add some veg oil, the peelings of 2 potato's, and 1/3 cup table salt. Do your best to burn it all in the skillet and stir it up for 20 full minutes. The end result will be a glassy black skillet. The blacker the better... and it will essentially make it a non-stick pan.
Carbon steel really is the way to go, teflon pans feel like cheap toys to me now. Plus they aren't really all that expensive.
I suppose carbon steel vs cast iron may also depend on what type of stove you have. We have an induction, and with that or gas, the thinner steel really makes a difference in responsiveness.

To add to my other post I made we do have some cast iron but don't get to use it much with the glass top... I might look at some more of the ceramic coated , that looks like it might be a decent option that we might could use... Is there any that just the outside is ceramic but inside isn't ?

Back