The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bronc Fighter's Journal: Trying to improve each shave

I'll be using this razor for the rest of the month and probably for the the whole month of April, I really want to nail down my technique with it and be able to get great shaves
I like consistency for the same reason. Once you're dialed in, it's smooth shaving from that point forward. (y)

GEAR
Pre-Shave: Stirling's unscented Pre-shave soap
Soap: MWF
Razor: Rex Ambassador
Brush: Elite Razor Manchurian White 24mm
Blade: Polsilver SI (1)

Bit of a rough shave today. Decided to use MWF since it's been forever since I've used it and wanted to give it another shot. I believe something in the ingredients gives me irritation since part of my cheeks were slightly burning as I was lathering. My skin didn't agree with this one today, so I did a quick two pass wtg and a bit of xtg. Got a bit or irritation on my cheeks, which usually never happens.
I'm still determined on getting a great shave with the Rex. It does not feel as smooth or "safe" as my Rockwell 6S. It does feel like the blade is going to bite me any moment and gives some drag as well. However, I won't judge it for today's shave since my lather was off and my skin a bit irritated before even putting the Rex to my face. I'll let my skin heal for a couple of days and try again, this time with another soap. If by the end of April I cannot get the Rex dialed then I'll just have to part ways with it and finally get a straight :) Life's too short to not enjoy your shaves!

Take care fellas!

It’s supposed to Rex the stubble not Rex the face! Darn it! I’m bummed for ya. A high dollar razor should perform flawlessly.

GEAR
Soap: Catie's Bubbles "Blugere"
Brush: RazorRock 400
Blade: Gillette Permasharp Stainless (1)

Two days of growth today and dare I say, I had a nice shave. I think I've figured out the best angle for this razor, it needs to be almost parallel to my skin. I've always "ridden the cap" with my razor or at least held them at the standard 30-degree angle. But the Rex needs to be held at almost parallel. I wasn't chasing the baby, so I didn't get bbs, but this was probably the most comfortable and efficient shave I've had wit the Rex so far. The angle makes it a bit tricky to get some of my trouble spots on the neck and jawline, but with some skin stretching, I was able to manage.

I decided to do something different for the second pass and that was to go atg on my neck, seeing how the angle makes it awkward to go xtg and going xtg is already awkward enough for me. I lowered the Rex down to a 2 and then 1 and had a nice shave! Again, I wasn't trying to get close, just remove some of the hairs and get a DFS, which I did. I got a small weeper near my Adams apple and just a couple of faint tingles from the alum on the neck. But I'm sure with some more practice, I can go slightly closer with less irritation.

I got a package coming in from Stirling today and I'm super excited! Island man shave soap and matching splash, I've been meaning to try it since late summer, but never had the chance.

Take care fellas!

GEAR
Soap: Catie's Bubbles "Sunset"
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket Synthetic
Blade: Rockwell (1)

I had a really nice shave today. I'm still experimenting with this razor and trying out different blades, today I decided to load up a fresh Rockwell blade that came with my 6S, I've never tried these blades previously. I've read some mixed opinions on these blades on some of the different forums, most people say they're too mild and "tuggy". However, this blade seemed to work really well in this razor for me. I set the razor to setting 3 for the first pass, 2 for the xtg pass, and 1 for some touchups. For once the razor didn't feel as "bitey" as it previously had. I still had some trouble with the angle on my trouble spots (lower sides of the neck) but didn't get any weepers and just a tad bit of irritation on the jawline and on the neck, which should go away within a few hours.
Skipped the alum as well and just went straight for the WH and splash, very nice way to end the shave.

Depending on how my skin feels tomorrow I might shave again, I don't normally shave every day but I'd like to see if the shorter stubble gives me a better shave. I'll be ordering some blade samples, I know it's subjective, but can anyone recommend some milder blades? (NOT DERBY!)
Take care!

For me I felt like the mildest blade was a VanderHagen blade. Before I found out I liked Personnas I used to just buy VH blades at Walmart.

@Bronc Fighter I think early on the Rockwell blades had poor quality control. The quality of the blades varied quite a bit. As the company has grown...I think their QR has been better. I might have to go back and try a couple out!

Back