The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bronc Fighter's Journal: Trying to improve each shave

Entry 4:

Gear:
Pre-Shave: Stirling's unscented Pre-shave soap
Soap: Mystic Waters Jeff's Lavender
Splash: Fine American Blend
Razor: Rockwell 6S (Plate 6)
Brush: Razorock 400 synthetic
Blade: Astra SP (3)

Didn't have a chance to post a journal entry for my last shave- alas! But, I'm hopping back on the saddle. Two days of growth, had a nice two pass DFS, going wtg and xtg. Alum gave the slightest amount of feedback, but still a good shave overall. However, there are some spots on my neck that I just cannot go xtg and seem to be too sensitive. I guess I'll have to live with a couple of not so close spot, here and there.
Take care everyone!

Entry 5:

Gear:
Soap: Stirling's Bay Rum
Brush: Elite Razor Manchurian White 24mm
Blade: Astra SP (1)

Been a bit busy and had some extra growth, three days worth mowed down with a very nice wtg and xtg shave; Achieved a DFS. I'm happy to report that the alum was silent. Decided to skip the Aftershave splash and just go with some witch hazel and Nivea Original Balm. I think this will be my new go to, at least for the colder months, my skin feels great and there seems to be less redness on my neck. Once I run out of the Nivea, I'll be sure to purchase the Zingari man balm, I hear great things about it.
Happy shaving everyone!

Been a while since I’ve let myself get more than a full day’s stubble growth...I can remember what shave days felt like when I did though...totally awesome!

Been a while since I’ve let myself get more than a full day’s stubble growth...I can remember what shave days felt like when I did though...totally awesome!
I love looking clean shaven as often as I can, but there's something about mowing down a few days growth that's so fun.

Entry 6:

Gear:
Soap: A&E Spartacus
Blade: Feather (1)

Two days growth, decided to pop in a new Feather blade and give it a go on the 6 plate. I wouldn't say it was such a huge difference in closeness, but there is definitely an improvement over the Astra SP. Went with my WTG & XTG pass and had some very nice results. Alum was silent and I was happy. Finished with some witch hazel and Nivea Originals Balm, left my face feeling great. I think I'm starting to prefer not using a splash afterwards. Besides it being tradition, I don't find it adds anything extra besides smelling good for a couple of hours. The balm, alum, and witch hazel do all the healing for me. Maybe I can save some money too :)

I've been talking with Mr. Matt Perger from Razor Emporium on my possibly defective Rex Ambassador, he told me to send it over to him so he can have a look. I purchased the razor a few months back and only had terrible shaves with it, no matter the blade or angle I used It always scraped and left me with razor burn. After doing some research around the different forums I found I wasn't the only one with this issue. Someone ended up sending it in and getting a replacement top cap which greatly improved his shave quality. I hope I have the same luck, fingers crossed 🤞.

Cheers!

Entry 7:

Gear:
Soap: Noble Otter's Barrbarr
Brush: Razorock 400 Synthetic
Blade: Feather (2)

Very nice wtg and xtg shave. Very mild sting from the alum in a couple of spots, but still great overall. I'm loving shaving every other day now, I didn't think my skin would put up, but skipping the atg pass makes a big difference. Not much else to report, take care everyone!

I'm another that benefits from skipping atg. It is weird I can shave every day using a DE, but if I use a SR I have to skip a day.

Maybe
I'm another that benefits from skipping atg. It is weird I can shave every day using a DE, but if I use a SR I have to skip a day.
Maybe your skin just needs that extra day to heal. If i go ATG I typically need three days minimum, or else my skin hurts during the shave.

Gear:
Soap: B&M Dickens Revisited
Razor: Rex Ambassador (2)
Blade: Gillette 7 'o clock SS (1)

Recently got my Rex back from Razor Emporium, Matt told me they replaced the top cap, didn't tell me why though. Anyways, this was my second shave with which went much better than the first. This shave I've loaded up a new blade that I know worked for me in the past in this razor and really paid attention to not using any pressure. This is the heaviest razor I own, so I might have been pushing down a bit more previously. Additionally, I find the razor needs to be angled towards the base plate a bit more. Had a nice two pass shave, wtg and xtg, with not really any feedback from the alum.

I'll be using this razor for the rest of the month and probably for the the whole month of April, I really want to nail down my technique with it and be able to get great shaves, like I do from my Rockwell 6S.

Take care everyone!

Back