The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bronc Fighter's Journal: Trying to improve each shave

Bronc Fighter

Jr. Shave Member
Entry 1:

Gear:
Pre-Shave: Stirling's unscented Pre-shave soap
Soap: Stirling's Bay Rum
Aftershave: Captains Choice Bay Rum
Razor: Rockwell 6S (Plate 5)
Blade: Astra SP (2)

I've been wet shaving for almost a couple of years now and although my technique has drastically improved since starting, I still have room for improvement. I've decided to ditch the atg pass from here on out. I have a bad habit of chasing the baby each shave and my skin doesn't seem to tolerate atg all too well. I'd rather have a DFS shave with no irritation, which was accomplished today.
Had a very nice two pass (wtg and xtg) shave (two days growth) and i'm happy to report that the alum was silent... I would normally shave every three days, because my skin needed the extra time to heal after going atg, however, skipping it seems to allow me to shave every two days which I prefer.
My only real trouble spot with getting a smooth shave is parts of my neck. The sides of my neck I only go wtg since they're the most sensitive.

I just recently acquired the Stirling pre-shave soap, I'll be giving it a run for a few weeks to see if it makes a noticeable difference to my shaves, so far so good.

What I'd like to work on is getting a bit closer on the area around my Adams apple, the hair there grows straight down for the most part, however I find it difficult to go xtg due to the angle, leaving a bit more noticeable stubble.

Anyways, it was a great shave, very happy with the results. I'll continue shaving every other day and see if I can keep the momentum going...

I concur, great first journal entry and I had similar issues with ATG myself. For almost 2 years I skipped it and went after what one guy called RCS, Really Comfortable Shave. I have only just recently added some ATG in areas that tolerate it. Welcome to the Journals!

I concur, great first journal entry and I had similar issues with ATG myself. For almost 2 years I skipped it and went after what one guy called RCS, Really Comfortable Shave. I have only just recently added some ATG in areas that tolerate it. Welcome to the Journals!
I only do ATG above my lip and a couple of small spots, but a comfortable shave is where it's at.

Welcome to the journals! Great first entry. Going atg still gives me trouble on occasion, and it was a long fight to be able to do it fairly consistently without issues. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Stirling pre-shave.

Great first entry and welcome to the journals!

One thing you may try on your neck. With your off hand, reach behind your neck and pull the skin to the side. This will move the skin off the Adams Apple.

Welcome to the journals! Great first entry. Going atg still gives me trouble on occasion, and it was a long fight to be able to do it fairly consistently without issues. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Stirling pre-shave.
It's definitely slick. I apply it to my beard going against the grain, then work it in with some water. I let it sit on my face while loading the brush, then I rinse off some of it and begin to face lather. I also shower before I shave. It does seem to give the lather a bit of added slickness, but Stirling's soaps are so good, it's hard to tell honestly. I could see myself using it more if I don't shower before shaving, as a way to prep and soften the hairs. It's also only $5 so you won't take a big hit trying it.

Great first entry and welcome to the journals!

One thing you may try on your neck. With your off hand, reach behind your neck and pull the skin to the side. This will move the skin off the Adams Apple.
Thanks for the tip! I find it more of an issue of getting the razor in the proper angle, it seems a bit of an awkward position going xtg since the area is not completely flat, like a cheek.

Strong first journal entry. I think you took a huge step by getting rid of the ATG pass. Comfort is more important than how smooth your face can get, in my opinion. Keep it up! You're gonna still have plenty of ah-ha moments.

Nice first post! I too skip the atg pass because I have sensitive skin. My neck hair grows straight up but the hair under my chin grow down, so under my chin I have to shave N to S and then my neck I have to shave S to N. However I can do a true xtg pass with a DE and that has helped me get the areas around my adams apple smooth-ish.

'd rather have a DFS shave with no irritation
I agree. The point of our collective passion, I believe, is that we have turned a necessary task into a pleasurable experience. At one time I chased the perfect shave every time, resulting in irritation from overshaving some areas. Far from perfect, IMO, and instead of enjoying shaving I would sometimes become frustrated with it. I no longer do that, and ironically I achieve great shaves more often than not. Enjoy your shaves!

Excellent first entry.

What I tell everyone is that I thought I'd never be able to get a BBS shave without any irritation until I learned to adjust my post shave routine. Switching to cold water shaving and clean-up made a world of difference. And now it's a daily occurrence.

What I tell everyone is that I thought I'd never be able to get a BBS shave without any irritation until I learned to adjust my post shave routine. Switching to cold water shaving and clean-up made a world of difference. And now it's a daily occurrence.
Hmm, i'll have to give cold water shaving a go.

Entry 2:

Gear:
Soap: A&E Spartacus W/ splash
Razor: Rockwell 6S (Plate 5)
Brush: Elite Razor Manchurian White 24mm
Blade: Astra SP (3)

Continuing shaving every other day, I'm happy to report that the alum was silent yet again (just a bit around my chin but I got a bit cocky there). Two pass wtg and xtg. My only trouble is that I have some razor bumps/ingrown hairs from a bad shave I had a week back, going atg. It's on the lower sides of my neck and it's noticeably red. I only go wtg on those areas to let it heal, if that doesn't help then I'll try to tweeze the buggers out! Besides that, the shave went well.

A&E performed fantastically and their AS is the most moisturizing I've used yet. I might look into their post shave serum or Zingari Man's Balm, since the Nivea leaves me wanting a bit more...
Take care everyone!

I really like the performance of A&E soaps and aftershaves. They have some outstanding scents as well.
It's my first A&E soap, but it won't be my last. I've been eyeing their "Forbidden Fruit" and "St Barts" soaps, but I'm running low on space, so no new soaps for the time being (at least that's what I tell myself..).

Last edited:
Entry 3:

Gear:
Soap: B&M Roam with splash
Razor: Rockwell 6S (Plate 6)
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger 24mm
Blade: Astra SP (1)

I'm really enjoying shaving every other day. I thought my skin would not be able to keep up, but skipping the ATG pass has helped significantly. Got an easy two pass DFS today, decided to use the R6 plate for something a bit more efficient, since I'm skipping ATG. The alum was dead silent, for once I'm excited to put it on and see the results.
Roam is the oldest soap in my den and my most favorite smelling, although I wouldn't dare wear the AS in public :LOL:. I will keep updating the Journal as the shaves go on, but very satisfied so far.
Take care fellas!

Back