The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Brew's Foul Concoction

Some strop updates:

1) I love the TM wide but short strop. It has a rough surface that that simply sand-blasts bevels soooo clean, it's almost like combining a firehose linen strop and a leather strop into a single, edge scrubbing and straightening component. Although it may be a bit shorter than I am used to, it's effectiveness more than makes up for its length.
2) I hate the Westholm cordovan strop. It is too thin and twisty. I have already turned two razors on it while stropping, resulting in a scrape on the right side. Once may be an accident. Twice is is problem. I will not use the strop anymore, as I have not figured out how to use it safely.

Some strop updates:

1) I love the TM wide but short strop. It has a rough surface that that simply sand-blasts bevels soooo clean, it's almost like combining a firehose linen strop and a leather strop into a single, edge scrubbing and straightening component. Although it may be a bit shorter than I am used to, it's effectiveness more than makes up for its length.
2) I hate the Westholm cordovan strop. It is too thin and twisty. I have already turned two razors on it while stropping, resulting in a scrape on the right side. Once may be an accident. Twice is is problem. I will not use the strop anymore, as I have not figured out how to use it safely.
What thin and what’s wide to you? Are we talking 2” and 3”?

What thin and what’s wide to you? Are we talking 2” and 3”?
Sorry, I should have been more specific. If you think of the 3 dimensions, length, width, and thickness, I'm referring to the actual thickness of the leather. I haven't measured it, but for really supple leather, thicker is better. This is too thin, imo. I'll have to put it next to the K3 to see how it compares.

Boy am I glad I opted for the g-shock that connects to my phone via bluetooth. I would never mess around with those frustratingly fiddly little corner buttons to be able to use it, if it didn't have an app on my phone to do most of the settings, etc. Even still, it is no joy to have on my wrist. I can't imagine using it for anything be exercise. It is very difficult to read without the light on. But luckily it has an auto light feature which helps, as long as you hold it at the correct angle. There are many little indicators on the screen, way too many. I can't figure out what the thing is trying to tell me sometimes, if anything. I'll play around with it some more, but this one won't be replacing any of my other watches.

Sorry the watch was kind of a bust. Usually G-shocks are pretty straightforward, but I guess they must be going with the current trend of packing as much fitness data as possible into the displays. Bummer.

Sorry the watch was kind of a bust. Usually G-shocks are pretty straightforward, but I guess they must be going with the current trend of packing as much fitness data as possible into the displays. Bummer.
This one is relatively simple. But if I have to push on that little button on the lower right 14 times to get to a particular function, you can bet I'm going to get it wrong and screw up something else at numbers 12, 13, or 15 . . . .

On a different note, went to strop the Hart for tomorrow's shave. The scales were swinging back and forth on the pivot like a well greased pendulum. Guaranteed to flip and wound a strop, so I took a hammer to 'em. Tight as a drum and no problem stropping. Looking forward to tomorrow's shave.

FullSizeRender_4_zpsrzf8v9ry.jpeg

Nice shave with the Hart this morning. It's no longer my style of razor, but it's another easy one for me to keep sharp. Shame what happened to the brand. Perhaps if they had made some decent scales, . . . .

Nice shave with the Hart this morning. It's no longer my style of razor, but it's another easy one for me to keep sharp. Shame what happened to the brand. Perhaps if they had made some decent scales, . . . .
Sure looked purty enough in the razor of the day!

First run with the new watch. I get points for remembering to put it on, and then give the points back for failing to set the timer. Just as well, I guess, given all the lumbering. As for the watch: all but useless. I run early with a headlamp. The watch light will not work if it's too bright out, and the headlamp messes with the light detection. I can get the light to come on, if I turn my head (and the lamp) to the side when I bring my arm up, but then I have to look quickly, before the light goes off. All I need now is for it to leak in the pool, and this experiment will complete, and I'll go back to running exercising with the old watches.

Back