The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Brew's Foul Concoction

A couple of years ago many of the custom razor makers were selling semi-custom blades that were easier, faster, and cheaper to produce, and making available to us higher-end blades at more reasonable prices than full custom. Tim Zowada's "Carbon Series" fits that description. They are great shavers, in the classic Zowada style, but made from carbon steel, not his beautiful/expensive PWS. He fit them in some real nice ebony scales (some sort of red wood was available too), that use a bolt with nuts for the pivot. I prefer a regular pivot that is peened, and can be re-peened, if necessary. Tightening a screw head and holding the nut is a pain, and they always loosen up again. In trying to keep the Zowada scales tight, it looks like I may have put a crack in the wood, right up against the pivot. I don't care so much about the crack, as wood isn't my favorite scale material anyway, but eventually the scales will no longer be snug-able, which only cuts strops (eventually). I'll have to decide what to do with these. I suspect Tim will replace them, but probably only with the same sort of pivot. I may have to look elsewhere.

Great shaver, regardless.

Bummer about the crack in the scales. We do have a couple hobbyists that might be able to help if you can‘t think of a solution!

First cold water shave of the year. Woo hoo! It was in the mid 60s* on my run this morning, which though brief, was very sweaty. I hate when warm lather causes the sweating to start again, causing streaks of watery lather that itch, kinda. Super close shave with TOG, who forgot to show up on Memorial Day, and has been used for two days since. While on my way around the block with the dog I got hit with a blast of fragrant honeysuckle, which are in full bloom here. The lilacs are in bloom too, so I used the Veg after some StJoL lavender and geranium cream. Finished with some Jicky for the warm summer day ahead.

12k touch-up to the Elephant razor yesterday was a success. My shave this morning was definitely a bit closer and a less tuggy. This was the first time I've touched up the razor, which was sporting the last owner's really excellent jnat edge. It seems like an easy razor to hone; almost like a Fili. The bevel is a shiny mirror now, no longer hazy from the natural stone. The bevel is tiny on this one, due to being honed with tape.

Back