The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Barbershop scents

Does anyone here have experience using both Razorock Blue Barbershop and Fine American Blend soaps & splashes? If so, are they similar or is one better than the other in terms of scent? I only have Razorock BB, but have looked at getting Fine AB.
They’re both barbershop scents, but RR Blue Barber is modeled after Floid Blue I think. American Blend is my favorite Fine scent but is modeled after YSL Rive Gauche. RR’s Rive Gauche clone is American Barber.

Does anyone here have experience using both Razorock Blue Barbershop and Fine American Blend soaps & splashes? If so, are they similar or is one better than the other in terms of scent? I only have Razorock BB, but have looked at getting Fine AB.
I have both and they’re nothing alike. RR Blue smells like Blue Floid whereas Fine AB is more akin to Rive Gauche by YSL. The Fine splash is mentholated and smells like the soap. I don’t have the RR Blue splash as I have the actual Blue Floid. IME the RR performance is better than the Fine but it’s good as well. Both are good performers but IMO the RR soap is better.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
They’re both barbershop scents, but RR Blue Barber is modeled after Floid Blue I think. American Blend is my favorite Fine scent but is modeled after YSL Rive Gauche. RR’s Rive Gauche clone is American Barber.
Should also mention I have only tried Fine AB as and AS and EdT. Have not tried either soap.

I have both and they’re nothing alike. RR Blue smells like Blue Floid whereas Fine AB is more akin to Rive Gauche by YSL. The Fine splash is mentholated and smells like the soap. I don’t have the RR Blue splash as I have the actual Blue Floid. IME the RR performance is better than the Fine but it’s good as well. Both are good performers but IMO the RR soap is better.

Hope this helps.
Yes this is very helpful. Maybe I will just stick with the Razorock Blue Barbershop for now and pick up the Fine if I happen to find it at a good price sometime.

Hope this helps.
I was reading about Razorock American barber and it states that it was crafted after YSL Rive Gauche. Anyone ever use both Fine and RR American Barber? This adds a whole new element of complexity for me.

I had Fine and PIFed it to my now brother-in-law. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not powdery in the "traditional" sense of what I think a barbershop scent is in my head, but it does smell amazing. I can't speak on RR American Barber, but I know RR products are a good value, in my opinion.

Fine American Blend is a great scent!! The soap is triple milled & made to resemble the ingredients & performance of Tabac. The Fine AB splash is also a really great, has strong & staying scent strength. It is simple & doesn't have a bunch of skin food stuff, but other products can make up for that if desired. Thumbs up from the Pastor(y)

Right.... alcohol, water, fragrance, menthol. I’ve never understood spending so much on a product that does so little for your face. And if you need to use another product on top of that, what’s the point?
I think it's mostly preferred because of the staying power. It sure as hell didn't do anything to make my face feel better. That's probably one of the reasons I was completely okay giving it away, not that it's bad.

Barbershop isn't a scent, it's an idea. One that is interpreted into a scent by the maker. A barbershop scent is one that evokes a memory of walking into the barbershops of our youth. But no two barbershops were the same, so that idea can vary greatly. For some the scent would be a medicinal, clean, and Barbacide kind of smell. For others it might be a pipe tobacco and cedarwood smell. Others would associate it with the aftershave that the barber used on everyone, which was very commonly a Bay Rum or Clubman type scent. Some makers would take bits of all these notes and blend them together to make their version of Barbershop.

There are some barbershop scents that I like, but most I do not. They do not speak to me, and give me a memory of the barbershop. There are so many scents that some think of as barbershop, that I do not. Proraso Green? I've never thought of that as a Barbershop scent..... GTB, ugh, no way. I know, I know, Barber is in the name.... but it smells nothing like babershop to me, and evokes no good memories. To my nose it's just bad.

For me, it needs to smell like Jeris Hair Tonic. That's the ultimate barbershop scent to me. Bay Rum is also a good one..... But really, just about anything could be considered a barbershop scent. It's a really loose idea and category. Just go look up top babershop scents, or list of barbershop scents...... many that I'd never consider babershop. (Pinaud Lime Sec..... for example was on a list I saw).

I agree with this. When I was a kid, my barbershop doubled as a ’60s head shop run by hippies in Boulder. My “barbershop” soap and aftershave are Tabula Rosa Patchouli and Pashana, respectively. Boulder was under a cloud of patchouli incense in those days.

Yea, barbershop encompasses a huge variety of scents.

Having never smelled much else than talc in a barber-like setting, I associate that smell with the genre for the most part. Could be a warm scent or a fresher scent with some powder.

Of what I have currently, that would mean Jeeves of Hudson Street Turkish Bath (renamed Barbershop), CBL Barbershop, and Proraso Red to a certain extent.
Yesterday while I was in the big city (Colorado Springs) I found a killer deal on Proraso Red (full size tube of cream for $2 @ Homegoods in their clearance section) and remembered hearing about it in this thread. Tried it out this morning and really liked the scent. Thanks for the suggestion!

Floid Vigoroso is my number 1 aftershave.

I have been looking at Floid aftershaves and have discovered that there are 3 currently available that have drawn my interest. I am wondering how different Vigaroso is from Suave and from Black. Anyone have experience with more than Vigaroso?
B74CF4E8-5947-43BC-8C23-ABE35DAC5846.jpeg

I have been looking at Floid aftershaves and have discovered that there are 3 currently available that have drawn my interest. I am wondering how different Vigaroso is from Suave and from Black. Anyone have experience with more than Vigaroso?
View attachment 16431
Get the vigoroso version. I have both and it smells more like the original Floid than the second one. Can’t comment on the black.

Back