The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Barbershop scents

My favorite barbershop scents are: Pinaud Clubman, Figaro Monsieur Ambra (especially this one), and Florida Water.

A couple of years ago I sent my father a bottle of Florida Water as part of his Christmas present. The first thing he said about it is that it smells like the barbershop did when he was a kid.

There are indeed many interpretations of the barbershop scent category. Here are some worthy candidates (*note from Shannon's & down I have only heard from others but not actually tried):

-Zingari Man Wanderer
-Mike's Natural Barbershop
-WSP Formula T Barbershop
-Soap Commander Honor
-CBL Barbershop
-Stirling Barbershop
-PAA CaD
-B&M Seville
-B&M Reserve Cool
-Noble Otter Barrbarr
-Fine American Blend
-Wholly Kaw Man from Mayfair
-Shannon's Soaps Barbershop
-Jeeves of Hudson Street Barbershop
-Razorock Blue Barbershop
-First Canadian Barbershop
-Maggards London Barbershop
-Oleo Soapworks Windy City Barbershop
-Cold River Soap Works American Barber
-Cooper and French Authentic Barber
-Mama Bear's Soaps Ye Old Barbershop
-Central Texas Soaps Grandpa's Barbershop
-Skullbuster Soaps 1920's Barbershop

I finally got around to using my Ghost Town Barbershop soap with my new aftershave splash that arrived earlier this week. The scent of the soap was even better than I remembered when I first used it. The matching splash put this shave tonight over the top. I am really digging the unique barbershop scent this combo has.

I finally got around to using my Ghost Town Barbershop soap with my new aftershave splash that arrived earlier this week. The scent of the soap was even better than I remembered when I first used it. The matching splash put this shave tonight over the top. I am really digging the unique barbershop scent this combo has.
PREACH!

Is there any scent comparison between Seville and Stirling? I have never smelled Seville.

Are they similar in scent? Or are they pretty different?

Is there any scent comparison between Seville and Stirling? I have never smelled Seville.

Are they similar in scent? Or are they pretty different?
Great question. I have smelled B&M Seville, but never smelled Stirling Barbershop. Anyone have experience with both?

@Shavin’ Yeti & @G'ville Ute, I'm not great at scent descriptions but I do have much experience with both these soaps. They are both classics!

Stirling Barbershop is powdery with a vanilla sweetness to it. Amazing!

B&M Seville has more of a citrus vibe. Also Amazing!

Neither smell anything alike, nor do they smell like the typical & most common "barbershop" scents (Mike's Natural, Soap Commander, WSP, ect...)

Has anyone ever used or heard of Antiga Barbearia De Bairro? I saw a post on FB by @Angelo85 earlier mentioning it.
Thanks for mentioning me. In my opinion Antiga Barbearia De Bairro is an excellent shave soap that produces a thick, creamy lather that’s super slick. The scent notes are bergamot, orange, vanilla, cedar. It has lanolin in it. I’ve heard that this brand of soap follows in the Portuguese tradition of barbershop scents and practices. You can find this shave soap on Amazon for $24 with free shipping from Portugal.

Thanks for mentioning me. In my opinion Antiga Barbearia De Bairro is an excellent shave soap that produces a thick, creamy lather that’s super slick. The scent notes are bergamot, orange, vanilla, cedar. It has lanolin in it. I’ve heard that this brand of soap follows in the Portuguese tradition of barbershop scents and practices. You can find this shave soap on Amazon for $24 with free shipping from Portugal.
The scent notes sound great. I will have to check it out.

I am part way through my samples that @bentheduck sent me. So far I like the scent of Two bits the best and the performance of Barrister & Mann. B&M Seville has a better scent that Reserve Cool, but both are less than what I like with Two Bits or my top scent, Razorock Blue Barbershop, that I have a full tub & splash of.
I thought I would sample them by traditional scents first followed by variations on the traditional scents.
Looking forward to trying the last half of the samples that have the bay rum samples and the key lime barbershop sample.

Does anyone here have experience using both Razorock Blue Barbershop and Fine American Blend soaps & splashes? If so, are they similar or is one better than the other in terms of scent? I only have Razorock BB, but have looked at getting Fine AB.

Back