The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Barberless World

I have some clippers (cheap is debatable) that we used to use to cut the boys hair when they were younger. Times were tough back then and my wife would end up cutting my hair more often than not, usually just a 1.25” or 1.5” on top and something much shorter around the sides and back. I’ll say I looked as good then as pretty much any cut I get from most of those random ladies at the chain cut places today...that’s why I stick with someone I can trust these days.
That said, if/when I did cut my own hair (I did it at least twice that I remember) I put on a #8 Guard and shaved until nothing else fell to the ground. I didn’t look good or bad but I paid a price several weeks later when it had grown out and was not very manageable...or able to be rescued by one of those $8 ladies.

good luck. Maybe go all in on a flowbe

Who knows how long it will get, but I'm not risking cutting my own hair. I've always been curious what I'd be like with longer hair. I get it cut every two weeks.

I value the time with my barber. He started cutting my dad's hair when my dad was 14. He gave me my first haircut as a child, and did my son's first haircut.

He called me about a week ago, and said he's closing down, and that if this goes longer than 3 months he is just going to retire 2 years earlier then he wanted to.

Really a great skill to develop, been cutting my own for 16 years or so. Every other month or so I go to my barber, cut my own hair every other week in between since I like it short and tight. If you plan on doing it long term some decent clippers are worth it. Absolutely love my Oster Fast Feed's I bought a few years ago. Much better than the cheap Wahl clippers I bought over a decade ago.

Well, it appears I ain't the first ham 'n egger to think of this as Walmart is sold out....................even the pet clippers!! (n)

Well, I found a Chinese set of clippers at Harbor Freight and with a 20% off coupon paid $8.65 out the door!! 🕺

I "cut" my hair yesterday and I must be honest that it is not easy to cut the hair at the back of your head!! 🤬 My head on the back sort of looks like a hairy tumor, but oh well, I wear a hat. 😋 I will add that the wonderful Gillette Guard razor is a Godsend for "blind" shaving on your neck as you can grasp the head on one side and feel your way through quite easily. Now I kind of look like Paul Newman & Steve McQueen. 😌 😉

I must be honest that it is not easy to cut the hair at the back of your head!!
Are you using two mirrors? I put my back towards the bathroom mirror, with a handheld mirror in one hand and clippers in the other. It’s a bit odd, but with a little practice it gets pretty easy. I recommend trying to go through the motions of your cut, without the clippers being turned on. You can practice your motions and get used to looking through two mirrors with no chance of screwing anything up. After a couple dry runs, you’ll be more comfortable doing it for real.
will add that the wonderful Gillette Guard razor is a Godsend for "blind" shaving on your neck
I’ve always used my DE on the back of my neck. Some days I’ll start shaving, and if I see my neck hair getting long when I turn to the side, I’ll just continue around and shave my neck as well.

I'm thinking of getting a helper monkey to shave the back part. Then he can also help with a few other chores around the house.

Back