The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ask a Referee

Cvargo

“They call me Chingo”
Owner
Legacy
So I did this thread at another forum and it was fun. So here is another one for those of you that are into sports. I am certified NFHS Basketball and Football referee and am working on my NCAA certifications.

As we get closer to football season feel free to post plays here etc and I will do my best to give you the opinion of the referee. Also feel free to post about basketball plays also. In the other thread some people would include weird plays from other sports as well.

To kick this off I am working on going through rules changes for the upcoming football season. Usually in order for a rule to become a rule or a new rule to be created something crazy must have happened.

Here is a rule that was added to the NFHS rule book last year. I would love to know the story behind this one.

"The ball becomes dead and the down is ended when a prosthetic limb comes completely off the runner."

Isn't that the one where you dribble the puck around a base and make a field goal?

1f602.png

To kick this off I am working on going through rules changes for the upcoming football season. Usually in order for a rule to become a rule or a new rule to be created something crazy must have happened.

Here is a rule that was added to the NFHS rule book last year. I would love to know the story behind this one.

"The ball becomes dead and the down is ended when a prosthetic limb comes completely off the runner."
I’m no sports official but I will go out on a limb here and say that rule probably came about after some player from the opposing team complained about a loss wherein the opposing team was able to score by using the good ol “flour sack” play (sometimes called the three legged monster) It’s an old play developed in the Deep South (like most cool things) where the QB hands off to the runner then the runner puts his/her arm around the neck of of the QB so when one of the defenders rips the runners leg off he/she won’t fall. Then, the two of them (runner and QB) hop to the goal while the defender whacks any players who haven’t already fainted at the sight of having the guys leg ripped from his body with over the head with the prosthetic leg. This unusual play was most effective only once and usually saved for “the big game”. I think things got more serious when they introduced those blade style legs used for running. About the time they introduced the blade legs you saw players start growing out their hair, the long dreadlocks are a very effective defense against blade leg attacks. Fortunately the rule seems to leave room for some creative use of prosthetic limbs by requiring the limb to be COMMPLETELY removed and by limiting the effects of the rule to when a RUNNERs prosthetic comes off. I can see how an effective defense could come from removing a blade leg from a non-runner and attaching it to the prosthetic arm of the runner so it it can be swung around like a mace. As long as the runners prosthetic arm remains attached all is good.

So today's JV game. Here's where the dummies come out to play. Coaches who think they know all the rules. Two funny incidents during today's game.

1. I have a flag for defensive pass interference. 15 yard penalty from the previous spot. The down was 2nd and 18. Coach is going balisitic because it's not an automatic first down. So I got to use my favorite line. "That's only an automatic first down on Sunday. Not for high school ball"

2. On long pass there is an interception. I'm running down the sideline. During the pass as I'm running the defensive coach comes running on the field and I collide with him. This is a flag. Sideline interference. During our officials conference we determine that the interception hasn't happened yet so that means the penalty will be assessed and the ball will go back to the offense. I lean in and say "coach is going to go nuts here!" While the white hat is informing the crowd guess what coach went NUTS!!! Boy that was a fun explanation lol.

Gosh Chad, watch where you’re going! ?

Despite the interception, the ball returns to the offense? I’d be POed! What’s the thought behind that? The collision created a game changing distraction or something?

Gosh Chad, watch where you’re going!
1f61b.png

Despite the interception, the ball returns to the offense? I’d be POed! What’s the thought behind that? The collision created a game changing distraction or something?

As a fan of the game I hate the rule.

But because the interference happened before the interception that means it didn't happen.

The justification is it removed an official from the play that could have prevented the official from seeing a safety issue.

Nice details to the calls. I appreciate the differences and like to collaboration of refs to determine the proper calls! Of course snide remarks are pretty awesome too!
1f60f.png

Today I worked a very competitive JV game. In the 4th I'm on the sideline in position to rule on a catch. There's an interception so now the play is coming towards instead of away from me. We call this being put in no man's land. As the tackle is made I'm out of bounds by a good amount but I saw it coming I am getting hit. Boom right in the leg. I didnt fall but I had instant pain. Thankfully I didn't feel any tears or hear any pops. But my white hat wouldn't let the game go on until I was checked out by the trainer. I got a nice scrape that was bleeding. They checked me for mobility and stopped the bleeding. Ouch!!! I can feel the bruising coming. I'll be taking ibuprofen before I take the field tomorrow.

Well, I want to say just rub some dirt on it, but we’re way past those days.

I guess both of those were better than what I was going to say...”Someone needs a shave”?

Back