The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Artemis

Newsflash, after the 47 minute delay an unknown spacecraft and Artemis were seen smoking a cigarette and an odd transmission
“See you on the Dark Side of the Moon”

Artemis I is right on schedule!!

1670617826138.png

Splashdown will be at 9:40 am (pacific time) this Sunday....50 miles off the coast of San Diego. The preciseness of the splashdown is a result of a new re-entry technique that was developed during the Apollo missions but never used where the capsule drops down into the atmosphere and then skips back up nearly in to orbit again allowing it to shed some extra heat off of the heat shield and reduce the G-forces on the (eventual) crew members. It also allows mission planners to place the splashdown in a much more precise location.

So far this mission has been a complete success. Let's hope all goes well on Sunday and that Artemis II (launching in 2024) is just as successful....with humans landing again on the Moon!!!

A cruise ship got into the area before a launch of a SpaceX rocket and they had to scrub the launch and were investigated by the Coast Guard. So I assume the cruise industry doesn't want to book any viewing cruises.

Now, hopefully they will continue with starship testing and have a lander soon.

Now, hopefully they will continue with starship testing and have a lander soon.
The first flight of the lander is scheduled for 2025 on Artemis III when they'll land the first crew on the moon since 1972. The mission also is the planned first use of a lunar rover that will be pre-landed on the moon before the Artemis II launches.

Far be it for me to be deliberately obtuse, but the distant retrograde orbit that passes so close to the moon, while stable and great for fuel consumption is hardly conducive for either landing or takeoff.
It's also clear that years in zero gravity saps the bones of strength, so maybe rather than relying on a rover they ought to walk! i hear there are also plans to land a woman there, and so i already know how that will end and how soon they'll be begging to come back.

Mars my arse.

T

The naval announcements during the interview, the voice of the Naval announcer sound exactly like the announcements that were made on the movie MASH. LOL

Got to be honest, after seeing all of the Apollo missions as a kid, seeing those three chutes and the capsule floating brought back so many memories of watching it with my old man, teared me up a little. Been way too long now let’s get to the moon, mare, and beyond!

Back