The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Artemis

heysi

“I like Glitter Covered Tortilla Chips”
Concierge
This may not come as much of a surprise....but I'm a huge fan of NASA and more importantly....the Apollo moon missions.

s65-55202 (1).jpg

Apollo was named after the Greek god of light, music and the Sun. NASA choose the name Apollo because the image of Apollo "riding his chariot across the Sun was appropriate to the grand scale of the proposed program"

Here's a statue of Apollo..

apollo-greek-god-of-music.jpg

The Apollo missions were very successful between the years of 1961 and 1972. In those 11 years, NASA flew 16 flight vehicles with 11 crewed missions and only one in-flight failure (Apollo 13 which successfully returned to Earth) and one ground failure (which resulted in the loss of the crew...R.I.P Apollo 1). The 6 moon landings occurred between 1968 and 1972.

Here's the Saturn V rocket with Apollo 11 mounted on top and headed out the the launch pad 39A on the back of the mobile launcher....

saturn-v-tower-nasa-jc-190710_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

....But NASA is headed back to the moon with Apollo's twin sister...Artemis!!

artemis logo.jpeg

Here's a statue of Artemis..

10157.jpg

Artemis is the Goddess of nature, childbirth and the moon.

Atop the Artemis rocket is the Orion capsule and in it will ride the next crews to go to the moon, land there and eventually head off to the planet Mars.

107110597-16617764972022-08-27t164714z_464796418_rc215w9ip6yh_rtrmadp_0_space-exploration-moo...jpeg

So, lets hear it....who's excited to go back to the Moon and off into our solar system to learn more about this galactic neighborhood we call home?

Ya'll have read Martin right? I hope they have learned a lesson and are packing some Miracle Grow in addition to potatoes this time.

Couldn’t they just dust off one of the old ones that actually worked?
That was originally my question when they proposed Artemis. But they said the cost to upgrade old hardware is higher than building new. They are basing everything off the Saturn V and the Shuttle programs and the lessons learned.

Obvious easy fix!

All joking aside, I really hope to see it fly soon, but have to make fun of the government waste and lack of progress.
I have about 8 books on the Apollo program and the delays are nothing new. I guess since we went before, people assume we just build a rocket, park it on the launch pad, hit GO and it works right every time. But we all own stuff that breaks and falls apart. And we're not talking about standard hardware here....the fuel pumps have to move 3 Olympic sized swimming pools worth of fuel in less than 10 seconds. So the tolerances are much higher and failure is very probable. In fact, most parts on some of these rockets are one-time use only. I'm surprised they've only had the one issue. Apollo had plenty of issues by this point in development.

I have about 8 books on the Apollo program and the delays are nothing new. I guess since we went before, people assume we just build a rocket, park it on the launch pad, hit GO and it works right every time. But we all own stuff that breaks and falls apart. And we're not talking about standard hardware here....the fuel pumps have to move 3 Olympic sized swimming pools worth of fuel in less than 10 seconds. So the tolerances are much higher and failure is very probable. In fact, most parts on some of these rockets are one-time use only. I'm surprised they've only had the one issue. Apollo had plenty of issues by this point in development.
I guess I hadn't thought about it that way.....

BTW, I just noticed your Concierge signature, so..... "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

Wow, someone is fired up (and it's not NASA)

Back