The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Another Shaving Journal

• Mike's Natural Soaps Bergamot, Orange, & Ylang-ylang (1)
  • TSC 2nd Anniversary synthetic
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (1)
  • Irisch Moos splash (37)
0DB0BE37-736A-4E42-ADD7-EF733ED25A86_1_201_a.jpeg
First use of Mike's in quite awhile. Good stuff; I'll review after using a couple more times. Very nice shave this morning.

I was just surprised with the soap change, I didn’t want to mention the brush.
When I opened the package from Mike's yesterday, I was so taken with the smell of B/O/YY that I had to change, and put the remainder of the CBL L&L in the MSB tub. I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's shave.

• Mike's Natural Soaps Bergamot, Orange, & Ylang-ylang (2)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (2)
  • Irisch Moos splash (38)
Loving the soap - its fragrance is flowery, orange, and bright. For those who choose aromas seasonally, this one is right on time.

• Mike's Natural Soaps Bergamot, Orange, & Ylang-ylang (3)
  • Stirling Travel Bowl
  • Blackland Vector/Schick Proline (3)
  • Irisch Moos splash (39)
Great shave this morning. Third day with Mike's soap. This soap is harder than my top three, which are CBL, LNHC, and Shannon's. It's a bit thirstier than those, but quickly produces a thick, creamy lather. The flowery, citrus aroma lasts all shave long. Cushion is weaker than it once was, as the formula no longer includes kaolin clay, which is a disappointment. Regardless, it's a good lather that works well, and I have enjoyed high quality shaves each morning. Post shave residual is nil, leaving bare skin to be rinsed off between passes and at the end. It won't break into my club of elites, but I like it nonetheless. At $12.50 a puck it is a bargain, along the lines of Fine soap, which is its equivalent. Fine pucks are harder, but smaller, and the shaving experience is very similar. The Bergamot, Orange and Ylang-ylang aroma is terrific, but undetectable post shave. I'm going to enjoy my three pucks, but am unsure if I'll buy more. Good soap, but not great. I think it's time for Mike to up his game by adding more skin food.

Have a great day, Cadre!

I wonder why he removed the clay ingredient?
Maybe to keep the price down? In 2012, when I began wetshaving, Mike's website bragged about its use of the clay to create cushion. It's the first soap I remember seeing with clay in it, though there may have been others. Mike's has always kept its price point low - back then, a puck was $10 when others were asking $12 and a bit more, to my recollection.

Nice thoughts, Bruce. I'll have to use my puck again to remember completed, but I think I had a similar experience. I enjoyed the shaves, but there was definitely something missing, although I doubt I was paying enough attention to realize what it was.

Went to see my son and DIL and their puppy today. Odan is a lively, rambunctious not-quite 8 month old English Terrier bulldog (if I remember correctly). He's a smart, loving 70+ lb baby who loves people.
E8BD2041-B444-49F8-91F5-78101874B43A_1_201_a.jpeg
He's going to be a big boy when fully grown.

Saw my first firefly tonight. Summer is officially here.

Back