The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Definitely a shout-out to our brethren in France, yes I know I have some Italian and Australian products in there, but decided on a French theme! Hate if you want to haters, this country would still be speaking the Kings English if it weren't for our allies from France! First passes done with Le Dandy by Thiers Issard following with a fourth pass using the VB Emperor Adjustable AGUSTUS! No reason for it, just a way for me to say to our overseas friends that some of us haven't forgotten what you've done to help establish this nation. May our ladies continue to look upon each other from both sides of the Atlantic.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Thiers Issard Le Dandy
Razor: Vikings Blade The Emperor Augustus
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock black (The Ninja)
Brush: Perfecto 100% Pure Badger
Pre-Shave: Old School Cool Formula #1
Lather: Razorock Emperor
Aftershave: Razorock Emperor
Additional Care:
Hot towel
Hot Towel #2
MK Aftershave Cooling Gel
Osma bloc Alum Stone 20230130_193059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beginning with a homemade pre-shave oil and a hot towel, a nice lather whipped up in a shaving scuttle. After three passes with the Hoffritz straight razor, cleanup was done with a Parker Semi-slant loaded with a Gillette Nacet. BBS is here! Homemade lime aftershave and another hot towel. Lotion and cologne were applied for final comfort. A good night's rest is ahead!
A tip of the hat goes towards England, I really haven't acknowledged the passing of the Queen and I would like to dedicate this shave to one of the greatest monarchs of our time. I hope the new King can be half of the leader she was.
I think I'll try something I haven't done in awhile, just say hello to a stranger and ask how everything is going for them. Just a nice gesture.

Razor: Hoffritz Finest
Brush: Parker 3 Band Pure Badger
Pre-Shave: Old School Cool Formula #3 Tennessee Lime
Lather: Truefitt and Hill West Indian Lime
Aftershave: Truefitt and Hill West Indian Lime lotion
Additional Care:
Truefitt and Hill West Indian Lime Cologne
Hot towel
Hot Towel #2
20230202_201720.jpg

Nice shave, have spent the last two days refurbishing two Wade and Butcher blades, used both on this shave. It would be a difficult task for me to say which I liked better. The square point (circa 1830-1845)I would have to say gave a closer shave but the Barbers point blade (circa 1850-1860) was more comfortable and just as close. Both razors were bought with the intention of refurbishing and reselling, definitely looking at keeping both.

On a side note, things seem to be quiet in Gotham for the past few days, although I know the Riddler has recently been released on parole, we shall see if lessons were learned.

Please click on the link at the bottom if you would like to see a picture of the razors, for some reason when I try to attach a file it says type not expected (.jpg is what im trying to post)

Razor: Wade and Butcher Square point circa 1830-1845
Brush: Vulfix #1040
Pre-Shave: Vikings Blade Black Forest Pre Shave Oil
Lather: The Art of Shaving Sandalwood
Aftershave: Taconic Bay Rum Aftershave
Additional Care:
Vikings Blade Forest Frost Balm
Hot towel
Hot Towel #2

A 4 star shave tonight, no one to blame but myself. My new Tiers Issard came in and I was hoping a good stropping would do the job. Survey said........ X....... Definitely will be hitting the 12000 and my Barbers hone followed by 100 on the leather. Finished the shave with my Parker 55SL SC (semi-slant) Nacet blade, 5th shave with the blade, it went to the grave following the shave this evening.
Other than a little tugging with the TI, all went well. The wife liked the aftershave I had made and told me to make more. We shall see what happens and how the scent matures after a month.

Off now to the Batcave!
The Riddler left me with one I need assistance with from the good citizens of Gotham.....
Why is a musicians bandstand like an oven?
🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Tonight, sleep well under the blanket of protection I shall provide.

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Thiers Issard Bucephale
Blade: Nacet Stainless
Brush: Vulfix #1040
Pre-Shave: Vikings Blade Black Forest Pre Shave Oil
Lather: The Art of Shaving Sandalwood
Aftershave: OSC Sandalwood and Vanilla
Additional Care:
MK Aftershave Cooling Gel
Vikings Blade Forest Frost Balm
Hot towel
Hot Towel #2
20230207_195251.jpg[

Following a Sunday morning shower, I put down my TI Bucephale 7/8" and swapped it for my 5/8" Dovo Prima. What a difference a quarter inch makes! The Dovo handles like a sports car compared to the TI. Normally I would do touch-ups with a DE safety razor, but not today, there were no touch-ups needed. This one shave has boosted my confidence with straight razors to a level I thought that I wouldn't achieve for months. For the next couple of weeks, I believe the TI will be my razor of choice for my evening shaves. The aftershave routine with my homemade products did an outstanding job. Well, it's GameDay! Here's wishing my Philadelphia Eagles the very best of luck!

FLY EAGLES FLY!!

A special thanks to Graybeard57 for his assistance in solving where the Riddler had me stumped!
My Bat-sense has me on edge, today being Superbowl Sunday, I can see the Riddler might have something planned, maybe the halftime show, could be the opening.

He left this on a scrap of paper at his last crime.....
"A locked box without key or lid, yet inside a golden treasure is hid"
I need an answer, it's definitely a clue to the Riddlers next caper.......20230212_102525.jpg

Razor: Dovo Horn Prima
Lather: Taconic Urban Woods
Aftershave: OSC Gentlemen's Quandary Aftershave
Additional Care:
OSC Gentlemen's Quandary Witch Hazel and Aloe
Old School Cool Gentlemen's Quandary Cologne
Osma bloc Alum Stone
Taconic Bay Rum Body Soap

I don’t know much about riddles other than I’m not sure if was the chicken or the encasing for whence it came from was first.

Hopefully you get to enjoy the game Batman between dropping criminals at the local police precinct!

I don’t know much about riddles other than I’m not sure if was the chicken or the encasing for whence it came from was first.

Hopefully you get to enjoy the game Batman between dropping criminals at the local police precinct!
Close good citizen, but not quite what I'm looking for....

Full Wedge restoration, geometry was all jacked up, took quite a while on a 1000 grit, probably should have dropped to a 400 but it wasn't like I had better things to do. Once the geometry was corrected I went to 5000, 8000 and finished on 12,000 all Shapton stones. If anyone has or has used the Shapton glass stones, please tell me about your experiences with them.
Not a bad shave for a blade between 187 and 213 years old. Not as close as a new razor but still a good shave. Using such an old blade, I couldn't resist using "Classic Old Spice".

Rating: 4 / 5

Razor: Wade and Butcher Wedge
Lather: Taconic Urban Woods
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic Aftershave
Additional Care:
Old Spice Classic Cologne
Van Der Hagen Post Shave Balm
Hot towel
Hot Towel #2
Screenshot_20230218_205123_TextNow.jpg