The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Place for Deep Thought

This is my first ever journal online. Previously I kept a Word document or an Excel sheet. Back in November of 2015, I was long winded, with all sorts of details about how I was shaving. This was for myself, a record or log book of what I did and if it worked. It allowed me to follow my progress and hopefully not repeat mistakes regarding a purchase or a technique fail! Eventually, I pared it down to just a short summary, and then to just listing what I used and short notes on anything that seemed worthy of a note.

I just "celebrated" my 4 year anniversary of DE shaving on the 13th of this month. I have tentatively decided that I don't want to keep a daily record anymore. And this morning I had some free time to browse the interwebs, and noted that TSC has a lot of folks journalling. What if I use a journal to just keep those thoughts, and maybe even have some discussions with like-minded individuals? So my version of a journal has now been started.

Welcome to the journals! Everyone has their own way on doing these around here but there is pretty much always great conversation. Looking forward to yours.

I suppose gear should be listed. I passed through the acquisition disorders for 3 years. By my count, 30 razors have come and gone from my little shave drawer in the bathroom. Hundreds of blades live in a separate drawer in the laundry room. Probably a couple of dozen brushes have made their way in and out of the house as well. But I found myself being burdened by all of them. So in 2019, in part due to circumstances that helped crystallize what is important, I made a move to minimize my shave stuff to only what I really liked, and preferred to use. No more rotating if I can pare it down. And that is how my drawer has 3 razors (2 of which don't see much use at all but I have fondness for), 5 brushes, and only 3 soaps (well, 4 now that @CBLindsay gifted me a fantastic unscented soap, his Granite!).

On the two other forums I tend to frequent, my avatar is either my Slim or my CB Karve, the two razors that work best for me. But here, my little buddy Carson is my avatar. I lost him this past April to advanced kidney disease. He would follow me around everywhere, whatever the chore, or even just sitting by me. And he would come in the bathroom and watch me shave. Or more truthfully, sleep while I prepared for work!

I work as a retail pharmacist in a grocery store chain. I used to teach high school chemistry. But pharmacy typically gives me a willing learner, and small class sizes! Like one on one! The hours can be long and tiring for my legs, but I like it. What I really like is that a DE shave keeps my shirt collar from snagging whiskers that I could never get rid well enough with a cartridge, without making a bloody mess. True, technique most likely stunk back then, but I have no desire to try carts again just to see. One of my favorite sayings is Life is too short for bad coffee, and I add to that, Too short for bad shaves! Stick with what gives me the best results and that I know I will enjoy, even if rushed. The mindful state of shaving is a great way for me to start my days, as long as I don't get too carried away and take too long!

I approve of the name of your Journal! Huge HHG2G fan. I have a full tattoo sleeve of HHG2G images, that I got started on my 42nd birthday. The journal is for whatever you want to talk about..... shaving or just life in general. Personally I like reading about what people are up to, outside of their shave den.

Welcome to the journals section! Sorry for the loss of your furry friend. I am looking forward to reading your thoughts.

I approve of the name of your Journal! Huge HHG2G fan. I have a full tattoo sleeve of HHG2G images, that I got started on my 42nd birthday. The journal is for whatever you want to talk about..... shaving or just life in general. Personally I like reading about what people are up to, outside of their shave den.
Awesome, re: your love of HHG2G!! I was in high school, and our local NPR station played the BBC radio version on Saturdays, I think. Hooked for life! Found them on Audible last year or so, so am enjoying them again!

You certainly have had quite the collection of gear come and go through your den. I have (still) a large number of razors of all kinds and blades to go in the ones that aren't blades themselves but my collection of brushes isn't all that large by comparison. I thought I might get sucked into the brush collecting vortex but the truth is I didn't end up wanting to use most that I collected to I stopped collecting.

Glad to have another journaler. We're always happy to read whatever people decide to share.

This week's set up:
Karve CB brass razor, with the safety bar plate B
Battle Brothers blade (I was gifted a bunch as part of an auction purchase, and really like them!)
SynBad brush, with the Razorock BC Silvertip making an appearance late in the week
Mystic Water Soaps Sensitive Skin.

Oops. Sorry, I'm in the wrong place. :unsure:
I don't do much deep thinking myself, but I do enjoy pondering the Answer to the Ultimate Question, 42. And I always know where my towel is!

More can be found in the five volume trilogy, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back