The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2022 Year of the Boozy Fruits...It's Fruit Cake Season Y'All!!!

Life kind of got in the way and the fruitcake was on delay. But finally carved out some time yesterday to get it done. I have to say, that this year might be the best fruitcake I have made. It has this really good citrus flavor on top of the other fruits. The texture is just perfect as well. Dense from the fruit but not overly dense. I am super thrilled and I doubt this batch will make it to Christmas Day.

1671545172080.png

1671545188747.png1671545217338.png

@dangerousdon I had a couple questions. First of all the recipe calls for 1 cup of rum to soak the fruit, that just doesn't even make sense. I added about 3 cups and was just enough to almost cover the fruit. I followed the recipe to the letter aside from that. I noticed you used even more rum than that,

Now, what do you do with the excess liquid after soaking? I strained it out, and tasted it, and it was amazing. Like the best cordial ever. I wanted to keep it out and just drink it, but I decided I didn't want to rob my cake of all that flavor, so I just reduced the liquid before adding everything to the pot to cook it. What do you do?

Also, Alton said to spray the top of the cake immediately out of the oven, to prevent the top from cracking. Mine came out of the oven with the top cracked. Maybe it was filled too high, but I followed his recipe and used the pan he mentioned. Only difference is my fruit may have taken up more space because they absorbeed more liquid.

Also, After cooling and spraying, I sealed it up in Tupperware. Lots of condensation on the inside of the container this morning. Should it not be airtight? I don't want it to mold.

There were a couple bits left in the pan, so I was able to sample it. Pretty good. Amber has made it before, and she said it's just like she remembers. I'm looking forward to spraying and aging it until Christmas.

Yeah sorry...I missed these yesterday...sorry.

@dangerousdon I had a couple questions. First of all the recipe calls for 1 cup of rum to soak the fruit, that just doesn't even make sense. I added about 3 cups and was just enough to almost cover the fruit. I followed the recipe to the letter aside from that. I noticed you used even more rum than that,
I pour the rum or booze enough to cover. Or in this year's batch I just used the whole bottle. It just depends on how much fruit you have. The one cup with the amount the recipe calls for will do. It will soak it all up and you don't have to worry about it..

Now, what do you do with the excess liquid after soaking? I strained it out, and tasted it, and it was amazing. Like the best cordial ever. I wanted to keep it out and just drink it, but I decided I didn't want to rob my cake of all that flavor, so I just reduced the liquid before adding everything to the pot to cook it. What do you do?

I don't usually have liquid left over. This is where the right amount of rum to soak into the fruit comes into play. But...if you have liquid left over from the fruit and want to use it in the cake. Just reduce the amount of other liquids you use with how much booze you have left over.

Also, Alton said to spray the top of the cake immediately out of the oven, to prevent the top from cracking. Mine came out of the oven with the top cracked. Maybe it was filled too high, but I followed his recipe and used the pan he mentioned. Only difference is my fruit may have taken up more space because they absorbeed more liquid.
I have never had a cracked top. I would think that this was because the top was too dry. But I am not positive. But either way...it is just cosmetic. And really should taste just fine. Cracked tops mean you made it yourself. So it has some character. Not sure which pans you used...I use just regular old loaf bans. I think you can use other pans if necessary as well.

Also, After cooling and spraying, I sealed it up in Tupperware. Lots of condensation on the inside of the container this morning. Should it not be airtight? I don't want it to mold.

I did this one year and don't do it any more. If you put in a tupperware container, you have make sure the entire cake is 100% cooled before closing the top. I mean 100%. It probably won't mold, but might get too moist from the condensation. What you are supposed to do is wrap it cheesecloth and/or parchment paper. Let it sit in a cool dry place. And spritz it every couple of days. This way there is some air circulation and excess moisture dries off. I can't do that where I am at. So I actually forgo the spritzing process. St stuff you buy in the store as no spritzing at all...so you are still better.

There were a couple bits left in the pan, so I was able to sample it. Pretty good. Amber has made it before, and she said it's just like she remembers. I'm looking forward to spraying and aging it until Christmas.
In the end this is all that matters.

Thanks KJ and Amber for sharing! Hope you enjoyed making fruitcake.

The most important take away from this conversation is, when are both of you sending out samples to me

Back