The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2022 Year of the Boozy Fruits...It's Fruit Cake Season Y'All!!!

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
It seems like each year I mean to start this thread earlier than Krampusnacht (don't forget to leave a little schnapps or whiskey on your doorstep for the devilish looking do-gooder that rids us all of those pesky bratty kids). But it seems like each year it is about this time that I start a fruit cake thread.

2020 was the year of lockdowns and Danger Baby.

2021 was the year of the Dumpster Fires (okay...2020 was to...but I needed something for 2021).

2022 will go down as the year that you couldn't afford gas.

But why end it on a sour note like that. Why can't we end 2022 on a sweet and boozy note. Why can't we all just have some damn Fruit Cake!

Okay...so if you are new to the Christmas Ways of TSC I do this every year. So if you are inclined to read about what transpired in the past...here are the links to the other threads:

Most of you have only been introduced to those tiny dense bricks of fruit cake at the store that are better used to throw through a jewelry store window for a quick smash and grab. Well, my fruit cake is not that. No candied fruit here. I used dried fruit and then soak it in booze! I mostly use rum. One of these years I am going to use bourbon and see how it goes. But in other words...my fruit cake is so much better than those fossilized bricks you can buy.

1670295083359.png

Okay...so today we start. Got all my fruit chopped up, placed in a non-reactive bowl, and drowned them in Gator Bite Satsuma Rum. I used this rum last year and it gave the fruit cake a very nice citrus flavor to the cake. It lightened it up a bit. So I am using the satsuma rum again this year.

1670295248129.png1670295267474.png

What kind of fruit did I use you ask? Raisins, Golden Raisins, apricot, figs, cherries, blueberries, and cranberries. There is some lemon and orange zest in there is well. This will soak probably for the rest of the week, before we make and bake the cake. In full confession, the entire bottle wasn't enough, so tomorrow I have to run to the store and grab another bottle. But for now...this will do.

I'll go ahead and post the full recipe below. In the meantime...let's hear what you think about fruit cake. Did anyone in your family make it? Do you like it? Let's have a discussion of all things fruit cake! Oh, and if you don't like the stuff...I don't blame you. But know, the recipe below taste's northing like what you find in the store. Also realize that the recipe below is just a guideline. Substitute whatever kind of fruit or booze you would like. Add a little or add a lot...it is up to you.

1 cup golden raisins

1 cup currants

1/2 cup sun dried cranberries

1/2 cup sun dried blueberries

1/2 cup sun dried cherries

1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped

Zest of one lemon, chopped coarsely

Zest of one orange, chopped coarsely

1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped

1 cup gold rum

1 cup sugar

5 ounces unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)

1 cup unfiltered apple juice

4 whole cloves, ground

6 allspice berries, ground

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 eggs

1/4 to 1/2 cup toasted pecans, broken

Brandy for basting and/or spritzing

Combine dried fruits, candied ginger and both zests. Add rum and macerate overnight, or microwave for 5 minutes to re-hydrate fruit.

Place fruit and liquid in a non-reactive pot with the sugar, butter, apple juice and spices. Bring mixture to a boil stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for at least 15 minutes. (Batter can be completed up to this point, then covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before completing cake.)

Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients and sift into fruit mixture. Quickly bring batter together with a large wooden spoon, then stir in eggs one at a time until completely integrated, then fold in nuts. Spoon into a 10-inch non-stick loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Check for doneness by inserting toothpick into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done. If not, bake another 10 minutes, and check again.

Remove cake from oven and place on cooling rack or trivet. Baste or spritz top with brandy and allow to cool completely before turning out from pan.

When cake is completely cooled, seal in a tight sealing, food safe container. Every 2 to 3 days, feel the cake and if dry, spritz with brandy. The cake's flavor will enhance considerably over the next two weeks. If you decide to give the cake as a gift, be sure to tell the recipient that they are very lucky indeed.

yes not christmas at the TSC without Wile E, Coyote, BarberDaves Twas the Night Before Christmas, and Don's Fruitcake.... All is well with the world

I like fruit cake. I think I would REALLY like a DangerCake. Truth is I don’t think I’ve had a fruit cake I could not eat but some are far more edible than others. Now make those boozy fruity cakes into bite sized balls that are soaked a-La rum ball style and I think world peace would be possible

One of my grandparents friends used to make a fruitcake that they used to say you would cut you a shot of.. She cooked it in like 3 bottles of booze and after cooking it then she soaked it in like 3 more bottles before it was ready !!

yes not christmas at the TSC without Wile E, Coyote, BarberDaves Twas the Night Before Christmas, and Don's Fruitcake.... All is well with the world

All is Merry and Bright!

Boozy and fruity….. you’re speaking @Scuttlesoap love languages!

Always wanted to try a real one, one of these years I’ll try making it.

They are not nearly as fussy as you might think. Unfortunately, Since I live in such a humid and warm environment (some would call it inhospitable...and some being me) I can't do the whole two week of curing with brandy or rum. But I try to get some kind of spritz on it at least. One of these days I will move to a place that has a root cellar and is dry and cool enough.

I like fruit cake. I think I would REALLY like a DangerCake. Truth is I don’t think I’ve had a fruit cake I could not eat but some are far more edible than others. Now make those boozy fruity cakes into bite sized balls that are soaked a-La rum ball style and I think world peace would be possible

Challenge accepted!

All is Merry and Bright!

They are not nearly as fussy as you might think. Unfortunately, Since I live in such a humid and warm environment (some would call it inhospitable...and some being me) I can't do the whole two week of curing with brandy or rum. But I try to get some kind of spritz on it at least. One of these days I will move to a place that has a root cellar and is dry and cool enough.

Challenge accepted!
I guess the place that the woman that was friends with my grandparents lived was conducive to allowing steeping as she lived in the mountains and was able to soak her fruitcake in the additional booze..

Can anyone recommend a good fruitcake that I can buy in the store or order online? I"ve only had a couple, including (usually) the Old Fashion Claxton that Don posted above. I like those fine, just looking for something a bit more traditional (meaning like homemade) and better. Also something that won't break the bank. When I find fruitcakes online that look good, they are ridiculously expensive.

Can anyone recommend a good fruitcake that I can buy in the store or order online? I"ve only had a couple, including (usually) the Old Fashion Claxton that Don posted above. I like those fine, just looking for something a bit more traditional (meaning like homemade) and better. Also something that won't break the bank. When I find fruitcakes online that look good, they are ridiculously expensive.
I've seen some in the grocery stores that are the round ones with the open centers that aren't too expensive.

Thanks. Have you had one? Are they any good or better than the claxton?
I haven't tried them but I have heard others say they were good. I don't know how moist they are , You might want to do the pint of Orange juice in foil if they aren't moist enough for you though.. They are 28 oz BTW so decent size...Good luck with the hunt and I hope you have a wonderful holidays...

They are pricey but if you want a really good fruit cake the only place to buy one is here The Abbey of Gethsemani

I absolutely love fruit cake. And I think I might just head to the store and try my luck at following your recipe. In my above post I have been buying the fruit cake from the monks for the last few years.

@mvargo I need your help looking at the recipe and helping me identify what I need to buy

@dangerousdon that seems like a lot of fruit for 1 cake, how many cakes does this recipe make?
One year I went strictly with the recipe. I think it made two largish loaves. It might seem like a lot of fruit...but it's not as much as you think.

I would check with some local bakeries. Often times this time of year bakeries start making fruit cakes. Especially if you live in northern climates.

I absolutely love fruit cake. And I think I might just head to the store and try my luck at following your recipe. In my above post I have been buying the fruit cake from the monks for the last few years.

@mvargo I need your help looking at the recipe and helping me identify what I need to buy
Don't get too hung up on types of fruit or booze. Or if you don't have the whole spices, pre-ground is perfectly fine. I use the recipe as a guide, but if you look at the pictures I posted...I have way more fruit than the recipe calls for. I will probably be making a double or triple batch. If Megan does a good bit of baking...she should know what to do.

I'll add to NOT waste your time with the walmart fruit cake. It's disgusting! Your best bet is to check a local bakery or Costco if you are trying to find one local. Otherwise as mentioned above from that link I posted.

Back