The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2022 Year of the Boozy Fruits...It's Fruit Cake Season Y'All!!!

I'll add to NOT waste your time with the walmart fruit cake. It's disgusting! Your best bet is to check a local bakery or Costco if you are trying to find one local. Otherwise as mentioned above from that link I posted.
$61 minimum to see if I like good fruit cake?

Oh, and for the record..I don't waste my time with nuts at all. Don't care for them in my cakes. I just go with the fruit!

On my lunchbreak, I ran across the street to see what I could find locally at the Commissary and BX. I found the first 3 at the Commissary and all were in the $3-4 range. I've had the Claxton Regular before, but have not tried the dark. I plan in infusing the regular one with booze to see if it gets any better. Thier website says the regular outsells the dark 8 to 1. Commissaries are well known for getting in imported treats for Christmas, so I picked up the one on top, even though it's a bit different from what we think of as fruit cake.

I found the Jane Parker at the BX and it was a bit more expensive, costing me $16. But when I looked it up just now, it retails for $29 on their website, so I guess it got a good deal. It's supposed to be one of the better ones, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

I'll go to Walmart and a couple other places to see what else I can find. Then after Christmas when all the kids are here, we'll do a fruitcake taste test.

fruit1.jpg
fruit2.jpg

@dangerousdon we used to live in FL, so we had the humidity too. What my grandmother used to do to soak it was that she put it in the freezer to soak. Not sure if it would work for yours. But wanted to throw it out there.

On my lunchbreak, I ran across the street to see what I could find locally at the Commissary and BX. I found the first 3 at the Commissary and all were in the $3-4 range. I've had the Claxton Regular before, but have not tried the dark. I plan in infusing the regular one with booze to see if it gets any better. Thier website says the regular outsells the dark 8 to 1. Commissaries are well known for getting in imported treats for Christmas, so I picked up the one on top, even though it's a bit different from what we think of as fruit cake.

I found the Jane Parker at the BX and it was a bit more expensive, costing me $16. But when I looked it up just now, it retails for $29 on their website, so I guess it got a good deal. It's supposed to be one of the better ones, so I'm looking forward to trying it.

I'll go to Walmart and a couple other places to see what else I can find. Then after Christmas when all the kids are here, we'll do a fruitcake taste test.

View attachment 99780
View attachment 99781
I feel this is like saying you want to see if you like cigars and buying them from behind the gas station counter.

I feel this is like saying you want to see if you like cigars and buying them from behind the gas station counter.
I’ve eaten Claxton cakes my whole life…. Sure they’re inexpensive, but it’s not like a swisher sweet!

I’m getting a range of inexpensive, mid range and higher end, to see what the difference is.

Plus, we’ll probably make a homemade one too. I told Amber about this and she’s excited about it. Now to see if I can find black currants.

@dangerousdon we used to live in FL, so we had the humidity too. What my grandmother used to do to soak it was that she put it in the freezer to soak. Not sure if it would work for yours. But wanted to throw it out there.
Thanks! I tried putting a fruitcake in the fridge one year in an air tight container and doing the spritz. It just didn't work out. I might try soaking and then freezing...but I am likely too impatient for that. The fruitcakes my Great Grandmother used to make always turned out perfect. She was in Michigan and had a cellar. It stayed cool and dry. Fruitcakes that you spritz brandy on really needs that breathability for the whiskey to soak in and dry off.

This!!!!

I’ve eaten Claxton cakes my whole life…. Sure they’re inexpensive, but it’s not like a swisher sweet!

I’m getting a range of inexpensive, mid range and higher end, to see what the difference is.

Plus, we’ll probably make a homemade one too. I told Amber about this and she’s excited about it. Now to see if I can find black currants.
I have never found currants in my area. So I skip them. I will add other dried fruits though to make up for it. Dried figs make a great addition.

Also...if you have larger pieces of fruit...it is best to chop them into smaller pieces. The candied ginger as well. I pulsed the candied ginger chop it into finer pieces. Not powder...but finer pieces. If you leave them in bigger pieces someone may get a gig chunk of it in their cake...and that is never a good experience.

Any "soaking" I have ever seen Done the person took and just wrapped it in aluminum foil soaked poured the stuff on it close the foil and let it soak open the foil pour more on let it soak open the foil poured more and let it soak..

Have my "berries" soaking in some of that Satsuma Rum. Each day I pull it out and stir a bit. Make sure all the fruit some of the booze up. Oh man is this going to be great!

Back