The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

WSP Olympus

Graybeard57

TSC's Steven Wright
Veteran

Same ingredients, same great absorption and skin feel. Quite sweet and fruity at first, but settles in smelling exactly like my Creed clone Al Haramain L'Aventure. The aroma lasted till about lunch. When I use this I'll definitely pair it with the cologne. Another winner from WSP, though not as long lasting. Good stuff.

Sweet!

AS longevity can be deceptive sometimes. Sometimes I’ll lose the scent but others still get it. Other times I’ll lose it but randomly start picking it back up hours later.

Sweet!

AS longevity can be deceptive sometimes. Sometimes I’ll lose the scent but others still get it. Other times I’ll lose it but randomly start picking it back up hours later.

I got a couple of very faint whiffs in the afternoon.

Same ingredients, same great absorption and skin feel. Quite sweet and fruity at first, but settles in smelling exactly like my Creed clone Al Haramain L'Aventure. The aroma lasted till about lunch. When I use this I'll definitely pair it with the cologne. Another winner from WSP, though not as long lasting. Good stuff.
So the big question, have you used Fine Platinum and how would this compare?

They always just seemed way too expensive to me for a product that is just Alcohol, water, fragrance, and menthol.

I guess...but with all the aftershaves I buy...It takes me anywhere between six months to a year to finish a bottle of anything!

I guess...but with all the aftershaves I buy...It takes me anywhere between six months to a year to finish a bottle of anything!
What?!?! You’ve finished a bottle of aftershave??? I don’t know what that feels like! lol

I guess on a positive note (for me) both times I’ve applied Fine Platinum, it has excellent longevity, which I appreciate greatly, and does feel great.

I did read in my researching though the general outcry when they made this last price increase. I think they were previously a number of dollars less expensive.

What?!?! You’ve finished a bottle of aftershave??? I don’t know what that feels like! lol
You also have significantly more aftershave than I do...but I aspire!

I guess on a positive note (for me) both times I’ve applied Fine Platinum, it has excellent longevity, which I appreciate greatly, and does feel great.

I did read in my researching though the general outcry when they made this last price increase. I think they were previously a number of dollars less expensive.

The outcry you speak of I took for a lot of whining. The increase was fairly significant...about $4 more a bottle I think. But the way I look at it...if I like something I like it...no big deal. We pay no mind to spending $250 on a razor, $25 on a soap, $150 on a fragrance...etc, etc, etc. But increase a bottle of aftershave...and people go nuts. If you enjoy it...buy it. If you don't want to pay the extra money...then don't.

And you are right...Longevity on Fine products are outstanding. I know there technically isn't anything in it that is specifically for you r skin...but for some reason...my face really likes the fine aftershaves.

I really enjoy the Fine aftershaves as well, and have most of them. The only real reason I like them so much is the scents and scent strength though. WSP smelled as good as Platinum, and was as long lasting, I would go with WSP. It's got more face-loving goodies in it.

As far as aftershaves go I think Fine are among my most favorite. I love the feel and they smell great, with the kind of strength I like. As much as I like them I choked at the price increase from $12 to $15 (plus shipping). They last forever but $15 is a major psychological barrier. I find them on Amazon or Ebay (new) still listed at $12 and sometimes with free shipping. I guess by the time I need a refill I will have to chew on the price again. The soaps are fantastic and have a perfect strength of scent...I think they are still $12. If I am correct in my understanding Fine soap is basically Tabac custom made with Fine scents, if you love Tabac soap you will love Fine soap.

I like Lee's Aftershave selection but the feel and excessive sweetness when its first applied keeps me from buying more than I have. I like my aftershaves to feel more like alcohol than goodies...not at all a knock on the WSP formula just a personal preference.

The first thing I want from AS is skin toning. Aroma is very important, but if an AS does nothing for my skin, I want nothing to do with it. WSP has both.

Thread revival! I will go a little off topic as in reference to the thread. My apologies to the OP for going a bit off the rails here.

I would just like to put my $0.02 worth on the Olympus, Fine Platinum and similar fragrances that come similarly close or close enough to the Juggernaut that Creed Aventus is.

I have both Olympus & Fine platinum A/S splashes and they both perform very nicely for me, especially right after a shave. One is sweeter (Olympus) and the other (Fine) a bit more sharper but establishes a more masculine vibe. On conditioning properties, for me at least Lee’s interpretation offers a bit more skin loving goodness, though I still like the slight quench and feel of Platinum. You can’t go wrong with either of the two.

Now, that being said, I will say this. Not to offend anyone in the least, those are not my intentions my fellow wet shaving brothers. If you want to smell like Creed Aventus, buy Creed Aventus. That’s what I always tell anyone that asks me what should I get to smell like it. There is nothing out there that has the same note ingredients and quality associated with Creed’s rendering. The scent progression that Aventus goes through is unparalleled in my humble estimation. I own 3 bottles of Aventus, including the first original batch released in 2011 with the Z01 batch code. And in my opinion, the best Creed Aventus release of all-time. I have a 2015 bottle and a 2018 bottle. And they both are not as close to the 2011 version. They project a bit sweeter with less inherent smokiness of the original, where you get that burnt birch accord with the oak moss, black currants, amber and all that seductive masculine scent composure that the original holds against all it’s subsequent releases. Simply, the 2011 version is a masterpiece of a fragrance.

Now, either one of these aftershaves will work with any of the iterations of Aventus from 2011 and up nicely. Unfortunately, the main issue or detriment to Creed Aventus is price. Spending north of $250 is no small matter and I can understand that not all of us would want to spend that kind of $$$ on a fragrance. Heck, I’ve only actually purchased one, the 2011 version which I purchased online through a promotional drive from a vendor for under $200. The rest have been gifts from my Lady. Today, I would not buy another bottle of Aventus as the juice has changed quite significantly from the first release.

So, why am I writing this? Because Gents, there is a solution to this age old question. How can I smell like Aventus without selling your first born to acquire the revered juice? Simple, fragrance clones. What would work well with either Olympus and Fine Platinum other that Aventus? I have a small but, a nice list of fragrance dupes that gets the job done amazingly well. And the kicker is not one of them is over $50 to acquire. The list is not long, only 4 as I have about 12-15 Aventus clones in my collection. But, these 4 for me at least, stand out as the closest to the prized Aventus elixir. *

1. Armaf Club de Nuit Intense- Woody, smokey with a scent vibe that’s as close as to the original Aventus that I have experienced. A bit sharp and piercing in the opening but, within 15-20 minutes settles down into a lovely blend of scent accords that goes through it’s scent projections amazingly well. You get the lemon, pineapple, apple in the opening with the rose and birch gliding in there in about 2-3 hours then releasing into that warm amber, musk and patchouli with a hint of leather thrown in. IMO, as good as it gets to the real McCoy. And longevity is it’s other strong point. 2-3 sprays and you’re done for the rest of the day. Not as fruity smelling as the newer releases of Aventus but, rather more of a bit smokiness to the original. Fabulous. Price: $25. A steal for what you’re getting.

2. Supremacy Silver Afnan- same as above but a more delicate balance between smokiness and fruity vibe. Longevity is respectable but after a couple of hours it becomes a scent that stays closer to the skin. But a lovely fragrance for those looking for the middle ground of smoke & fruit. Gorgeous. Price: $30-$50 depending on fragrance type of either edt or edp strength.

3. Insurrection Pure II Reyane Tradition- Soft, fruity, light on the smoke but another fabulous scent that lingers beautifully. More to the fruit side but, very well balanced and blended. Longevity is ok, an extra spray on clothing will give you the whiffs every once in a while. Lovely, lovely scent. Price: $20

4. Al Haramain L’ Aventure- This one is very good also but, is more like a Chypre type fruit fragrance. More leaning towards a bit balsamic with no apple or pineapple accords to my nose. Not much smokiness if any at all and missing a bit of a leathery vibe to it. But still very, very good and is probably the most different of the Aventus clones I have listed here. Longevity and projection is where this one for me falls short to the rest so, a couple extra sprays won’t hurt. Still for the money, a great alternative. Price: $30-$45.

There are perhaps others that come close and smell very similar but, of the ones that I have obtained, these are the closest renditions to Creed Aventus by far imo.

Again my apologies to the OP for throwing this thread a little off track but, I didn’t want to start another fragrance thread and another off shoot of Olympus again.

*If you want an excellent scent to the WSP Olympus A/S splash, then look no further than the WSP Olympus edp fragrance in-house. It’s perfect with the A/S splash and gives you about 5-6 hours of very good longevity and sillage. Projection is good for about 2 hours then settles very nicely as you get nice whiffs here and there throughout the day. Price: $45. With discount code as low as $35.

Thanks for the info Gus! That's a great write up. I have a sample of Aventus coming my way, and if I enjoy it, I'll be looking at a couple of the clones you listed!

I own the Armaf Club de Nuit Intense. It is really good stuff. I have never used the real thing, but I really like the CdN.

Back