The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Williams Mug Soap - Officially DISCONTINUED

Well, has anyone scored an Williams? I’ve checked every Schnucks(7) around and Walgreens(4) and not one of them had a single puck! I think the smaller towns will have stock, but the big stores here in St. Louis are picked clean…
I hadn't seen a puck in the wild in at least a year here in Chicagoland, but still went to a few Meijers, 2 CVS and 3 Walgreens on Saturday just to check and none on the shelves. I don't necessarily think there was a local run on it here, just hasn't been stocked in these stores for a while.

I hadn't seen a puck in the wild in at least a year here in Chicagoland, but still went to a few Meijers, 2 CVS and 3 Walgreens on Saturday just to check and none on the shelves. I don't necessarily think there was a local run on it here, just hasn't been stocked in these stores for a while.
Same results here, but we had Williams in every Schnucks grocery store(the dominant grocer in the area) up until last week. I was able to find a puck any time I wanted, but someone must have cleaned them all out. Oh well! I hope some others were more lucky! The great thing is there are likely many thousands of unused pucks out there and there will continue to be a NOS supply for many years to come.

Same results here, but we had Williams in every Schnucks grocery store(the dominant grocer in the area) up until last week. I was able to find a puck any time I wanted, but someone must have cleaned them all out. Oh well! I hope some others were more lucky! The great thing is there are likely many thousands of unused pucks out there and there will continue to be a NOS supply for many years to come.
Went to school in Champaign and one of my good friends lives in Rock Hill STL so I am very familiar with Schnucks! Hoping that once this initial buzz dissipates the prices return to normal on eBay and the like because I'm definitely not paying vintage Williams prices for modern stuff!

Went to school in Champaign and one of my good friends lives in Rock Hill STL so I am very familiar with Schnucks! Hoping that once this initial buzz dissipates the prices return to normal on eBay and the like because I'm definitely not paying vintage Williams prices for modern stuff!
I saw a puck of vintage williams go for $4.99 on the bay over the weekend! Maybe all the big money is going for the more modern vintage stuff lol.

Sooo, serious question. What “historic” shaving soaps does that leave us with? I can think of Mitchell’s Wool Fat but that’s about it…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooo, serious question. What “historic” shaving soaps does that leave us with? I can think of Mitchell’s Wool Fat but that’s about it…

American? Not much I think. Still good plenty of European though, even if most have been reformulated.

That really sucks. Thankfully I still have a few pucks sitting around. Kinda makes you wonder if Aqua Velva is going to get discontinued too…

I cannot imagine Aqua Velva would go out, but who knows...

I think Williams was the last tallow based legacy brand... I'm thinking that Van Der Hagen is the last "Legacy brand," still alive today. It was original Surrey shaving soap and was taken over by Van Der Hagen at some point in the 1980's.

cannot imagine Aqua Velva would go out, but who knows...
Me neither, but luckily I’ve got a huge stock of vintage in case it does.
I'm thinking that Van Der Hagen is the last "Legacy brand," still alive today. It was original Surrey shaving soap and was taken over by Van Der Hagen
True, but the soap is nothing like the vintage surrey. It’s a different type of base altogether. Not even sure if that counts.

True, but the soap is nothing like the vintage surrey. It’s a different type of base altogether. Not even sure if that counts.
Yeah, it is nothing like vintage Surrey and it’s closer to Colonel Conk soaps. Speaking of Colonel Conk, their history says they go back to the 1800’s, but this sounds suspect as it’s only really a brand name which has not been produced consistently over the last 180 years, like Williams.

And there will never be anything slicker.
iu

And there will never be anything slicker.
I don't know...I think Lever 2000 is pretty darn slick. True story, I bought a bar of Lever2000 about 20 years ago (it was a premium purchase for my young/poor household) and upon first using it I got some in my eye and it burned like fire. While screaming in pain I tried to wash it from my eye, as the soap washed from my face and body it made the bathtub SO slick my feet lost all traction and I found myself scrambling for a footing. Within seconds I found myself on the bottom of the tub, the bar had slipped from its perch and it was on the floor of the tub too, making it nearly impossible to get up. That was the last time I ever used Lever2000 ...it's slick stuff.

I don't know...I think Lever 2000 is pretty darn slick. True story, I bought a bar of Lever2000 about 20 years ago (it was a premium purchase for my young/poor household) and upon first using it I got some in my eye and it burned like fire. While screaming in pain I tried to wash it from my eye, as the soap washed from my face and body it made the bathtub SO slick my feet lost all traction and I found myself scrambling for a footing. Within seconds I found myself on the bottom of the tub, the bar had slipped from its perch and it was on the floor of the tub too, making it nearly impossible to get up. That was the last time I ever used Lever2000 ...it's slick stuff.
Lever2000 is no longer the same stuff. I used it from when it first came out until the US manufactured stuff disappeared. Their new stuff barely lathers.

Back