The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Wildfire season ( feel the burn)

Well We are in PRE-Evac or "Set" mode, a new system of "Ready" -"Set" -"Go" So much for sleep tonight LOL and Jumanji continues.... Yelling Jumanji did not work, so Maybe this will work.

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice Beetlejiuce........

LOL

Well We are in PRE-Evac or "Set" mode, a new system of "Ready" -"Set" -"Go" So much for sleep tonight LOL and Jumanji continues.... Yelling Jumanji did not work, so Maybe this will work.

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice Beetlejiuce........

LOL
1592027832650.gif

Now it gets real serious.. Obviously I assume the important papers go in the truck first. Then the razor box. Which brushes, soaps, etc go in the evac stack?

I will reflect... a lot depends on one vehicle or both, if we need to take camping equipment, how much time do we have, what is truly precious to take if we won’t be coming back to the house. This will be an interesting exercise, one I feel everyone at some time should reflect on. I’m going with the spouse unit to work today, so I’ll make that my time limit. Ultimately things will depend on the scenario:

This is what I set for myself.

- 5 hours to make the list
- 1 or two vehicles (Chad has a HUGE advantage here)
- The house will assume to be gone. Once we leave, we will not be returning.
- We will not be going to relatives, they are assumed to be unreachable.
- There is no C&C available so we will assume an apocalyptic social scenario with NO Opfor anticipated, but not guaranteed.

Assumptions:
- Food and Water logistics are as they are at present.
- Fuel infrastructure is as they are at present.
- Financial infrastructure is as they are at present. No interruption of income is anticipated.
- No Zombies.
- Weather and season as as they are at present.

Thanks Guys,
I have always had a go bag ready ( old habits from my AFSC LOL) and so far things last night remained stable with no changes in EVAC lines or status. Today will be the day, however as high temps and high winds will rule the day. Wind is out of the SSW so that is a mixed blessing at it "should" push the fire at an angle away from us but into some populated hill areas. It is now a Type 1 fire so the resources are there including about 1000 Firefighters, Hotshots, Smoke Jumpers and Tankers: DE-10, 737, 727, C-130 C-141 2-A26 and a mulitude of Helicopter drop vehicles, chinooks, and a sky Crane. So Hopefully we will just stay on "set" and never get to "Go"

The biggest issue is the MIL, she is bed ridden and the logistics there are transport in a hurry, but we should be ok, Friends have reached out including @uacowboy and Mrs UACowboy so we have places to stay if needed

So thanks for the prayers, and willl keep this updated.

I'll be keeping an eye on it as the day goes on as well. Hopefully the increased resources can help this to start really getting contained

Vacation to Utah... You could get Connor and Sadie that chicken coop you promised lol

Glad you haven't had to EVAC yet Dave. Wife and I have go packs in the closet as well. Good to be prepared ! Hope they get it under control soon.

06.14.2020 update:
Bighorn Fire now 12600 acres 10% contained, major fire activity today 40 mph winds out of SSW ( thankfully) we are still in "Set" Rep evac just one photo from the yard today. heasde toward Mt. Lemmon and Summerhaven a town up on the hill. and the Southern most ski resort in the US. They transferred hundred up there to prepare

Bighorn 06.14.2020.jpg

Some Pretty good news today. Although we are still in "Set" pre -evac Here is the latest

Basic Information
Current as of6/15/2020, 7:15:01 PM
Incident TypeWildfire
CauseLightning
Date of OriginFriday June 05th, 2020 approx. 10:00 PM
LocationPusch Ridge Wilderness, Santa Catalina Mtns
Incident CommanderJohn Pierson
Incident DescriptionWildfire
Coordinates32.378 latitude, -110.943 longitude
Current Situation
Total Personnel729
Size14,686 Acres
Percent of Perimeter Contained30%
Fuels InvolvedTall Grass (2.5 feet)
Chaparral (6 feet)
Timber (Litter and Understory)
Narrative:
Horizontally continuous grasses (buffelgrass as well as native grasses)are common in the lower
elevations. Short duration crown fire (fires that spread from the tops of trees) runs through the chaparral and timber layers in the middle and upper elevations were observed in the early afternoon.
Significant EventsFire has been active with uphill runs, group torching, with the fire fully consuming several trees at a time and flanking (fire running out from the sides of the main direction of the fire).
Narrative:
Creeping surface fire in the grass and shrubs along the northern aspect of Sutherland Ridge in the morning transitioned to group torching in the mid-elevation shrub layers south of Sutherland Trail within the northern and western aspect of Cargodera Canyon in the early afternoon. Short uphill runs through the brush to the east began around 1600 as fire moved up Cargodera Canyon east to Romero Pass.
Outlook
Planned ActionsResources in Branch I - Conducting structure protection and scouting additional opportunities of containment locations.
Resources in Branch II - Crew and mechanized equipment will continue to place fireline along line created during the Alpine Fire in 2003. PSD (aerial ignition) work is being used to check up fire in a couple drainages along an unusable road leading up to Summerhaven.
Resources in Branch III will continue to implement Structure Protection actions and continue to evacuate public as resources continue to arrive at the incident.
Utilize night shift to monitor fire spread and engage in direct suppression if values at risk are threatened.
Projected Incident ActivityModerate fire behavior today. Fire Potential remains the same. Continued upslope and northeasterly flanking fire within Cargodera Canyon. Short crown runs in the brush within the middle third of Romero Canyon was observed during the peak burn period. This fire will likely
continue towards Romero Pass and Cathedral Rock.
Current Weather
Weather ConcernsToday's Observed as of 1500: Maximum temperatures ranged from
the 80s in the upper elevations to 103 degrees on the valley floor.
Minimum relative humidity values were between 12 and 15 percent
on the valley floor and 15 to 20 percent in the upper elevations. 20-foot winds were southwest at 3 to 8 mph, with a maximum gust to 18 mph.
Tuesday's Forecast: Mostly sunny in the morning, then becoming
partly cloudy in the afternoon. Maximum temperatures will top out at 79 to 84 degrees in the upper elevations and between 99 to 104 degrees on the valley floor.
Minimum relative humidity values will be between 7 and 12 percent on the valley floor and 13 to 18
percent in the upper elevations.
Winds will be southeast at 3 to 8 mph through mid morning, becoming southwest 7 to 12 mph by late morning and increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Afternoon gusts will be around 30 mph. The Haines Index, which predicts the likelihood and intensity extreme fire behavior will be a 5 out of 6. There is a low chance of lightning and the chance of wetting rain (CWR) is 0 percent.
Outlook - Wednesday through Friday: Dry conditions are expected.
Daytime high temperatures will top out from the upper 70s in the upper elevations to 103 degrees on the valley floor.
Minimum
relative humidity values will be in the 4 to 11 percent range on the valley floor and 7 to 15 percent in the upper elevations.
Relative perimeter to the house and Ranch
about one mile now as the crow flies but moving away from us.

to us 06.15.2020.JPG

Bighorn 06.15.2020.jpg

photo from tonight​

Back