The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Why I Started

Shavedawg

Shave Newbie
I apologize in advance for the long post. Being a new wet shaver, 3 1/2 months, I would like to document why I turned to wet shaving. I said in my introduction to the Cadre that wet shaving found me. I honestly believe that to be true.
I have always had a zest for life. Live life to the fullest so to speak. I'm a retired police officer due to a disability. I retired from a second career as a funeral director. Those to occupations really taught me how precious life is. My wife and I started to travel around the US in an RV full-time in 2017. We have seen some beautiful country. Big cities to small towns. Great people you name it. We have had a blast. We have met some awesome couples who are living the same life style we are living. We gather for Winter in Arizona every year and just have a great time.
In October of 2019 ,we had just arrived in our Winter home and were settling in. On October 22 after I awoke I suffered a massive heart attack. They call it a "widow maker". I was airlifted 100 miles to a heart hospital in Phoenix. I was rushed in the "Cath Lab" and had two stents placed. One to clear 100% blockage, the other to clear a 70% blockage. They call this type of heart attack a widow maker because people don't survive. The last thing I thought that day was having a heart attack. I had just played volleyball the day before. My wife and I are active hiking and what have you. Four days in the hospital I finally came home to a new life...changed life.
The heart attack not only affected me physically, but mentally and emotionally. I really started to take stock of my life. Prior the my heart attack, I got caught up in life as far as the latest and greatest gadgets and what not. Just rolling along on auto pilot. I even grew a beard so I wouldn't have to shave. When I had time to really think about life and how grateful I was for a second chance. I took inventory. I realized how much I enjoyed the simple things. I looked back to my childhood, I pushing 60 now, and smiled how simpler life was back then. I also thought about what I could do / change to help facilitate those times back when. Wet shaving!!
Wet Shaving for me has done the most for my recovery than anything else. Sounds crazy. The physical part, walking etc. is just that, walking. Diet, no biggie..eat this not that. I've lost 25 pounds. The the emotional side of my recovery, well that is where wet shaving has saved me. It's something I can learn about and do for me. For me it's meditative. It's my time to think about things. Do something my Grandfather did. Shave the way he shaved. Simpler times. When I'm done, I feel accomplished. I feel really good about myself. The heart attack, at first, left me feeling like a very broken man. Fragile if you will. I have good days and bad days, the heart meds do a number on me, but wet shaving is always there for me.
I appreciate the Cadre and this platform so I can document my journey thus far.
Thank you!!

Thank goodness you are here to tell us your story! That is quite the experience and one I am sure none of us really want to go through. But you made it! It sounds like you are now living your life to the fullest! I thin you will be surprised to know that while most of us have never been what you have been through...we are here for some of the same reasons. We enjoy wet shaving for some of the same reasons you do. Start the day off feeling good. It's our time to focus on that one thing. It's a time of reflection. It's our moment of zen if you will.

Thank you so much for sharing and I am looking forward to learning more about you and your experiences!

Thank goodness you are here to tell us your story! That is quite the experience and one I am sure none of us really want to go through. But you made it! It sounds like you are now living your life to the fullest! I thin you will be surprised to know that while most of us have never been what you have been through...we are here for some of the same reasons. We enjoy wet shaving for some of the same reasons you do. Start the day off feeling good. It's our time to focus on that one thing. It's a time of reflection. It's our moment of zen if you will.

Thank you so much for sharing and I am looking forward to learning more about you and your experiences!
"Our moment of zen". Exactly!!

First, thank you for your sacrifice as a first responder! I came to wet shaving as a nostalgia thing myself and stayed for the zen like experience.

I think you will really like this forum it has a small group type of vibe to it. Everyone is helpful and here to support each other. Welcome to the journals!

That's really awesome how you started wet shaving! I am glad you are doing better too. A lot of the success from recovery starts with the mind set of the individual. Like you I have really found wet shaving to be meditative. I enjoy it because it is the one hour of the day I have to myself and can relax and take my time doing it. I look forward to read more about your journey!

First, thank you for your sacrifice as a first responder! I came to wet shaving as a nostalgia thing myself and stayed for the zen like experience.

I think you will really like this forum it has a small group type of vibe to it. Everyone is helpful and here to support each other. Welcome to the journals!
Thanks!!

That's really awesome how you started wet shaving! I am glad you are doing better too. A lot of the success from recovery starts with the mind set of the individual. Like you I have really found wet shaving to be meditative. I enjoy it because it is the one hour of the day I have to myself and can relax and take my time doing it. I look forward to read more about your journey!
Thanks!!

The the emotional side of my recovery, well that is where wet shaving has saved me. It's something I can learn about and do for me. For me it's meditative.
@Shavedawg , I have experienced a similar life-affirming event, though it wasn't my heart. It's something most rarely do: taking stock of life and all it entails, bringing us to a better understanding of ourselves and our place in life as we walk upon this earth. March forward and enjoy your shaves! (y)

Glad to have you here @Shavedawg! If you and your wife ever find yourselves rolling through the north Alabama region hit me up! We'll have dinner! :)

Back