The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

who has made honing videos?

I have two unions though maybe more what makes them want to practice on the inexpensive or are they hard or easier than other ones LOL
Union Razors are Chinese steel razors, look like shoulder-less Gold Dollars, and are found in truck stops for $12.99 each. They are excellent practice razors, take as good an edge as any other. The lessons learned from practice razors are used on more expensive razors, without ruining them. If a razor is ruined in the learning process, it hurts less if it’s a cheap razor.

you mentioned, all the different strokes. I can understand some of them like spine-leading or edge leading, x strokes, floating egg strokes. that's it for me. what all ones are there?
There are also half stokes and circles. It will all depend on what you are trying to accomplish and your style.

I learned by watching Keith Johnson, Dr Matt and Lynn Abrams.

If you have multiple razors, send one to a professional honer for your benchmark. Use Gold Dollars or maybe ebay beaters for practice honing. Stay away from Pakistan razors too. Honing can have a steep learning curve, but hang in there and ask questions as you need to.

There are also half stokes and circles. It will all depend on what you are trying to accomplish and your style.

If you have multiple razors, send one to a professional honer for your benchmark. Use Gold Dollars or maybe ebay beaters for practice honing. Stay away from Pakistan razors too. Honing can have a steep learning curve, but hang in there and ask questions as you need to.
Ditto to all you just said, especially the gentlemen mentioned.

Lynn Abrams and Dr Matt I definitely have watched. thank you for the encouragement

Lynn Abrams and Dr Matt I definitely have watched. thank you for the encouragement
Since you have seen their videos, pick one and only one. I say that because they have different styles.

Lynne may include circles and will apply pressure (when needed) by torquing. That is done with his wrist, to apply pressure on the edge. Dr Matt may apply pressure with two fingers. One on the toe and one on the heal. Don’t mix styles yet.

If you start combining styles while learning, you might make things even more challenging. And may struggle with information overload. Just a thought.

the good news is, I know what you mean by apply it with your wrist or your fingers. somebody had commented about the way he was holding it and the way Lynn explained it to him I've got so much stuff in my head they're probably going to come in and find a big burn mark where the pillow was

Also, our very own Matt @Luecke3262 has videos as well. He puts out a very solid edge on multiple mediums.
I agree with that totally. he has answered many of my questions. he is easy to understand and has the ability to explain things to me like a 5-year-old. all of you guys do really good though, but I had run into Matt before. and he is on the top of his game

The trouble with honing videos posted by even the best out there is that you can follow their methodology exactly as shown and still come up with an unusable edge and have no real explanation as to why. I think that more direct real-time guidance even over Zoom or FaceTime is a better situation IME…

Devan J.

The reason why is because someone new doesn't have the experience to modify pressure or realize that there's a point where one process is finished and another is not.
Zoom calls cannot modify this, but 2 cheap Gold Dollars and a bevel setting stone can. Practise.
T

Back